Game Day thread....vs Geelong Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day thread....vs Geelong Cats

it seems the difference between our players now and players of 1989 -1992 is not much.
they are both crapola.

however it seems the boys in 1989-1992 when i started following footy had a dip every week although would lose most matches by 50pts. our players today dont havea dip.

mckellar, lambert, hogg, ryan, barry young, hamilton, poole, mitchell, andy goodwin - at least they had a go

Tackle count 39 to 28 geelong - indictates we are at least keeping our tackling pressure up - small positive in the second Qtr
thejinx said:
How the hell are we down 10 tackles when we've been chasing Geelong tail all game.

That's what I'm talking about... Fair enough we're losing, but there's just no effort. No pressure.

*smile*ing disgrace.

That tackle differencial blew out in the first 15 minutes mate.

SOFT, LAZY and STUPID.

I'm home with the flu this arvo, so maybe I'm just a touch grumpy. But my god! How many of our blokes just jog alongside contests, fumble, fail to shepherd, refuse to get involved in contests, etc etc. It's endless.

Thanks to Nahas and Newman, who seem to want to play with the required intensity. I'm close to affording Vickery that honour too, he's improving.

The soft - Cousins (just not trying), McGuane (a little bit of body contact would be nice), Thursfield (invisible in contests, constantly "almost" spoiling), Deledio (no shrugging the trainers off when I get a bump on the head, I'm outta here to the bench).
The lazy - Cousins (just not trying), Morton (run hard enough Mitch and you might stop "nearly" making contests), Moore (built like Tarzan, you know the rest).
The stupid - Jackson (the new Gaspar - the opposition let him get the ball cos he's bound to do something dumb), Simmonds (runs like treacle but thinks it's a good idea to play on), Polo (thinking about what you might do with the ball AS you are tackled isn't early enough).

I hope we don't chalk this performance down to "oh we're just young". This has been deplorable. And effort isn't an area Geelong should have over us.

zippadeee said:
Everyone finds form against us, Selwood has been struggling, and has 25 possessions already

Struggling ??? ...................... I wish I "struggled" that badly when I played the game.

Seriously, not sure where you got that info from, but he's been anything but struggling......guys an absolute stud that our mob could only wish they had running around in a Yellow and Black guernsey.

thejinx said:
How the hell are we down 10 tackles when we've been chasing Geelong tail all game.

That's what I'm talking about... Fair enough we're losing, but there's just no effort. No pressure.

*smile*ing disgrace.

yes, that is the thing that gets to me the most. They are taught to tackle at a young age, then they get here and just don't do it. We need these kids to put pressure on the cats. Chase, tackle and run. We need to see them contest the ball, even if they don't win it - just make it look like they are trying. Until the do these little things we will always be 100 points worse off than most of these great teams.

Mcguane needs to follow through with the contests far too often he pulls out gives away a deliberate free. It's just not happening for him today.

Their players are going in with intent. Like they have a point to prove to everyone, our players aren't playing with enough effort for us to have any hope. When you go to Geelong you need to bring that a grade
mindset, we haven't been prepared for the intensity enough.

There are bullcrap chases and efforts all round. 100-50's Tuesday morning or another bullcrap cliche like improvement is around the corner?

Positives
Polo
Lids
Vickery ok
It's Half time
Umps can't get any worse
We only lose the second quarter by 4 goals rather than 7

Edit: Nahas and Newman have been ok also

Tom Hawkins has 12 disposals so far - that's more in this match than he has collectively in his entire career.

Making him look like Wayne Carey when he's more like Mariah Carey.

RUNVS said:
According to BARNZY everyone is an idiot, except himself. He knows everything.

umm...I was calling Scooty an idiot because he has an agenda against Hardwick and constantly calls him a dud and says Scott is a great coach, asking for us to get Hinkley. Fair dinkum, writing DH off this early after cutting so many yet still having so many duds he has to deal with but he's doing the right thing and playing the kids. Yes, I think Scooty is an idiot, that's my opinion.

1st time I have ever posted during a game ( obviously usually at game )

1. Cheer squad has only one small bay to sit in. The bay is half empty. Enough said.

2. In games like this the umps even do any thing they want and get away with it. A few decisions that make you wonder.

3. Basically though it is men vs boys, as the commentators have said a few times. What can we do? Nothing. It is just a game where we hope we learn and grow.

I feel really sorry for the players. It would just be totally intimidating for them. We just don't have any where near the size, strength, experience to compete. We have the odd moment where we go ok, but obviously it is 95% them.

Just hope the scoreboard doesn't get too ugly.

Keep doing your best boys. See out the game with your heads held high. Learn and grow, and, strore this feeling for the future. Don't forget how this feels and make sure it makes you determind to be winners in the future.

Go Tige's

tigerlee said:
says a lot for our players - he is better than most of ours out there today. At least he puts his body in and can mark. I know he is not the answer - but he may have helped us just a little.

Pity FJ never went down to see this boy play. Kicks the ball so well and has claw like hands. Wish we had him in our side. Could give us a contest up forward.

Bunnerz said:
the BIG O must be laughing his head OFF at half time
He`s been laughing his head off for 3 years.

I can`t really tell from watching on TV but are we playing that imbecile zoning garbage?

I only watched the first quarter on TV and had enough after that but Geelong had players running everywhere on their own,so how about giving every player a man and tell him to stick to that man like *smile* to a blanket for every second of the game.

Bunnerz said:
it seems the difference between our players now and players of 1989 -1992 is not much.
they are both crapola.

however it seems the boys in 1989-1992 when i started following footy had a dip every week although would lose most matches by 50pts. our players today dont havea dip.

mckellar, lambert, hogg, ryan, barry young, hamilton, poole, mitchell, andy goodwin - at least they had a go

Take the rose coloured glasses off for a sec.
We took some big hidings during that time and we were so bad people were calling us to relocate or merge with another club.

Funny how history repeats its self.
Back then we were in debt.
List was so bad we had to start from scratch.
We were asking the AFL for help.

Club vowed once we were out of that dark tunnel we would never allow it to happen again. :-[

Back then we

Jack said:
1st time I have ever posted during a game ( obviously usually at game )

1. Cheer squad has only one small bay to sit in. The bay is half empty. Enough said.

2. In games like this the umps even do any thing they want and get away with it. A few decisions that make you wonder.

3. Basically though it is men vs boys, as the commentators have said a few times. What can we do? Nothing. It is just a game where we hope we learn and grow.

I feel really sorry for the players. It would just be totally intimidating for them. We just don't have any where near the size, strength, experience to compete. We have the odd moment where we go ok, but obviously it is 95% them.

Just hope the scoreboard doesn't get too ugly.

Keep doing your best boys. See out the game with your heads held high. Learn and grow, and, strore this feeling for the future. Don't forget how this feels and make sure it makes you determind to be winners in the future.

Go Tige's

a bit of sanity amongst the madness......good post