Game Day thread....vs Geelong Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day thread....vs Geelong Cats

Phar Ace said:
You know the tackle count presumably?

Geelong 72
Richmond 61

That is quite compelling when you consider Geelong had almost 100 more possessions than us.

The guys can miss targets, run around in circles etc etc, that I can blame on youth, inexperience and a new game plan/coach.

Not chasing hard, not supporting each other, not running into open space when we have the ball to give teammates targets simply cannot be blamed on youth.

1ers:
Geelong: 43
Richmond: 34

Uncontested Possessions (a good indicator of willingness to run into space when we have the ball)
Geelong: 316
Richdmong: 247

Now Uncontested possessions can be swayed by disposal inefficiency (less uncontested possessions if we can't hit targets), but we matched Geelong's disposal efficiency today (77%).

So if we're disposing of the ball as well as they are, and beat them in clearances, then why the hell did we get beaten by 100+ points?

One reason: LACK OF EFFORT

Its blatently obvious that it is testing times for every tiger supporter at the moment. We all have our differing ways of coping.

Genuine support you ask ??

Whats to support exactly ?

Oh wait, let me guess, lets make sh!t up and pretend we arent as bad as what it seems and shows on the field every week, that should get us some sympathy and help us field a more competitive team in the future.

That better ?, more to your liking ?

Support !!!!!....... Ill show support when this club shows a willingness to put together a team that is at least semi competitive and capable of at the very least show a little of what made the the Richmond Football Club a thing to be proud of being apart of 30 years ago...till then Ill continue to have a laugh and make fun of this pretender that takes the field, sorry, just the way I deal with being a follower of this rabble these days.

Absolutlely beautiful response. Couldn't have said it better myself. Magnificent. Great to read a post that echos my own views.

Too many do -gooders here thinking we will natually improvce because we have a young team.

young Dea, 6 handbals, no kicks and no real run...needs an extended run in the 2's just doesn't look confident at this early stage, sure only a couple of games played but as i said last week just looks a little overawed...

I think long term could well be a good player for us but i think a run in the 2's will be good for him...

Astbury was a positive. Seems to buck the trend of our drafted players having large deficiencies in their games.

jackfrost said:
Genuine support you ask ??

Whats to support exactly ?

Oh wait, let me guess, lets make sh!t up and pretend we arent as bad as what it seems and shows on the field every week, that should get us some sympathy and help us field a more competitive team in the future.

That better ?, more to your liking ?

Support !!!!!....... Ill show support when this club shows a willingness to put together a team that is at least semi competitive and capable of at the very least show a little of what made the the Richmond Football Club a thing to be proud of being apart of 30 years ago...till then Ill continue to have a laugh and make fun of this pretender that takes the field, sorry, just the way I deal with being a follower of this rabble these days.

Club has more support this year from me than any time in the last decade. Why? We are going with youth. I recall we got thumped by Geelong by 150 points, with Bowden, Richo, Johnson, Brown on our list etc. I will not condemn the club for cutting the old wood list. In two years time if nothing else the players will still be younger than the sides we have trotted out for the last decade but they will be more experienced and bigger than they are now.

cagedtiger said:
Geelong also had 112 marks to Richmond's 73. Are you expecting Richmond to tackle a player after a mark?

Of course not, but that just shows our unwillingness to run hard to fill space when the opposition has the ball.

How many of those marks were uncontested - 12. They had 100 uncontested marks.

That's a bloody disgrace.

thejinx said:
Geelong 72
Richmond 61

That is quite compelling when you consider Geelong had almost 100 more possessions than us.

The guys can miss targets, run around in circles etc etc, that I can blame on youth, inexperience and a new game plan/coach.

Not chasing hard, not supporting each other, not running into open space when we have the ball to give teammates targets simply cannot be blamed on youth.

1ers:
Geelong: 43
Richmond: 34

Uncontested Possessions (a good indicator of willingness to run into space when we have the ball)
Geelong: 316
Richdmong: 247

Now Uncontested possessions can be swayed by disposal inefficiency (less uncontested possessions if we can't hit targets), but we matched Geelong's disposal efficiency today (77%).

So if we're disposing of the ball as well as they are, and beat them in clearances, then why the hell did we get beaten by 100+ points?

Your stats are good your conclusion poor.

We are young and inexperienced that's why we lost by 100+ points to the reigning premier at their hard to play at home ground. It was expected.

Bill James said:
Club has more support this year from me than any time in the last decade. Why? We are going with youth. I recall we got thumped by Geelong by 150 points, with Bowden, Richo, Johnson, Brown on our list etc.

+ an experienced coach in his 3rd year at our club.
+ a neutral ground.
+ chip kicking, kicking backwards, flooding.

I'd rather watch a replay of today's game than that garbage of 2007 again.

Bill James said:
Club has more support this year from me than any time in the last decade. Why? We are going with youth. I recall we got thumped by Geelong by 150 points, with Bowden, Richo, Johnson, Brown on our list etc. I will not condemn the club for cutting the old wood list. In two years time if nothing else the players will still be younger than the sides we have trotted out for the last decade but they will be more experienced and bigger than they are now.

Agree - the only reason I'm still in these forums, and watching our games is because we're going with youth.

My argument is that the youth that we do have, is pretty damn average, with only a couple of guys from the past 3 years showing that they might be long term, quality players for us.

cagedtiger said:
We are young and inexperienced that's why we lost by 100+ points to the reigning premier at their hard to play at home ground. It was expected.

But youth and inexperience are only part of the reason we lost. I'm sick of people bringing up that excuse every time we play like crap.

As I mentioned earlier, youth and inexperience is no excuse for a complete lack of consistent effort, tackles, chasing, running into space, 1ers and communication.

thejinx said:
Of course not, but that just shows our unwillingness to run hard to fill space when the opposition has the ball.

How many of those marks were uncontested - 12. They had 100 uncontested marks.

That's a bloody disgrace.

Did you think maybe Geelong are a just much better well drilled side.

cagedtiger said:
Did you think maybe Geelong are a just much better well drilled side.

Of course they are - i'm not saying we should have beaten them today, or even come close.

But Geelong being a better side has no effect on our ability to chase and apply pressure when we're on defense, and support each other when we have the ball (by running into space to create uncontested possession opportunities and shepparding and protecting the ball carrier as two examples).

If we got smashed in clearances then I would agree with you (static ball structures are extremely important when it comes to clearing the ball), yet we actually beat Geelong in those today.

thejinx said:
Geelong 72
Richmond 61

And are you aware that that tackle differential occured in the first 15 or so minutes - andf that after that we were on par with Geelong - I actually see that as a positive - bad start, but a better finish when compared to other weeks - and against one of the best in the comp (though it's frighening to think what a Geelong with an Ablett and Corey might have done to us).

thejinx said:
But youth and inexperience are only part of the reason we lost. I'm sick of people bringing up that excuse every time we play like crap.

As I mentioned earlier, youth and inexperience is no excuse for a complete lack of consistent effort, tackles, chasing, running into space, 1ers etc.

It is not an excuse it is a fact - I am not making excuses. Our coaching team is inexperienced as well. They all need time to learn - the test is whether all we have in players and coaches the quality to develop - only time will tell and I am speaking years here not months so sit back for a long ride. Geelong are seasoned premiers - this is also a fact - they should have one by the amount they did against a side so young and inexperienced.