Game Day thread....vs Geelong Cats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day thread....vs Geelong Cats

Phar Ace said:
And are you aware that that tackle differential occured in the first 15 or so minutes - andf that after that we were on par with Geelong - I actually see that as a positive - bad start, but a better finish when compared to other weeks - and against one of the best in the comp (though it's frighening to think what a Geelong with an Ablett and Corey might have done to us).

Yes, I believe someone mentioned that earlier.

If we had the ball an equal amount of time throughout the game, then yes, I would be satisfied breaking even in the tackle count.

But after the first 15 minutes, they still had 80+ more possessions, and we only managed to break even in tackles.

Bill James said:
Club has more support this year from me than any time in the last decade. Why? We are going with youth. I recall we got thumped by Geelong by 150 points, with Bowden, Richo, Johnson, Brown on our list etc. I will not condemn the club for cutting the old wood list. In two years time if nothing else the players will still be younger than the sides we have trotted out for the last decade but they will be more experienced and bigger than they are now.

I hope your right Bill, really do .........I also agree that by getting rid of those players was a step in the right direction, but for every step forward, you dont have to look to hard to see another step backwards that undoes all the apparent "good' ........

Example ...... the fact that a player of such ineptness in a TROY SIMMONDS is STILL on this list and getting a game of football in a Richmond guersey, and yet someone wants me to support this CLUB !!!!!

No way, that ONE call right there tells me we have people in positions that they have no right being anywhere near a football club of country level, let alone AFL level............the guy is such an embarrassment it absolutely blows my mind as to what the great football minds at the club actually see in this "waste of space" !!!

How can the others (Richo) included be asked to step down and yet this guy gets another go-around ???....... absolute joke.

So until they show a consistent trend in getting rid of the correct "Old wood", then this joke will continue and the future will seem as far away as it ever has.

I just want to watch a game, and afterwards think "Damn... those guys really tried their guts out today".

So far, I've yet to have that feeling so far this year.

thejinx said:
Yes, I believe someone mentioned that earlier.

If we had the ball an equal amount of time throughout the game, then yes, I would be satisfied breaking even in the tackle count.

But after the first 15 minutes, they still had 80+ more possessions, and we only managed to break even in tackles.

Yeah, i get that and if it was any team other than Geelong, StKilda, Bulldogs and maybe Collingwood, I would agree 100%. But to break even (after the first15 minutes) is indicitive of not falling away, when it would have been easy to do so. Indeed we have in games past. When ever we upped the anti and out tackled Geelong, we looked Ok for those minutes - not enough admittedly.

We agree on tackling i suspect, but you believe it was worse today than I. I've been saying for a decade or more that this stat alone has been our team's achilles heel. It is now as good as it has been in decades, which does indicate a turn around may occur (though our drafting going forward will determine that).

thejinx said:
I just want to watch a game, and afterwards think "Damn... those guys really tried their guts out today".

...and I wouldn't be holding my breath for any great length of time expecting that to change, either Jinxy !!!

Not even against the likes of an Adelaide..... and dont be fooled, they'll tan our arse like a red-headed step-child too.

Phar Ace said:
Yeah, i get that and if it was any team other than Geelong, StKilda, Bulldogs and maybe Collingwood, I would agree 100%. But to break even (after the first15 minutes) is indicitive of not falling away, when it would have been easy to do so. Indeed we have in games past. When ever we upped the anti and out tackled Geelong, we looked Ok for those minutes - not enough admittedly.

We agree on tackling i suspect, but you believe it was worse today than I. I've been saying for a decade or more that this stat alone has been our team's achilles heel. It is now as good as it has been in decades, which does indicate a turn around may occur (though our drafting going forward will determine that).

Agree with you there, we have gotten better with tackling this year.

Only problem is that so has everyone else!

Phar Ace said:
And are you aware that that tackle differential occured in the first 15 or so minutes - andf that after that we were on par with Geelong - I actually see that as a positive - bad start, but a better finish when compared to other weeks - and against one of the best in the comp (though it's frighening to think what a Geelong with an Ablett and Corey might have done to us).

...and Rooke and Scarlett and Stokes (miss anyone ?) .......... oh sh!t, Ill stop now I think !!!

Loved Frawley's comment today - the only highlight for RFC was that we had no injuries :hihi

But get this thinking from a so called elite.............

"Travis Varcoe had an amazing 8 goal assists, that's probably some sort of record, but I don't know how many of those were goals or points."

We let this man coach at AFL level!

Phar Ace said:
"Travis Varcoe had an amazing 8 goal assists, that's probably some sort of record, but I don't know how many of those were goals or points."

Varcoe pic 15 in the 2005 draft....tigers pic 8 = super star JON...

Phar Ace said:
Loved Frawley's comment today - the only highlight for RFC was that we had no injuries :hihi

But get this thinking from a so called elite.............

We let this man coach at AFL level!

hehehehehe.......Classic stuff !!! ....and then preceeded to compound the problems even further by letting Tezza the Tanned spin his *smile* for another 5 years.

We certainly have peeps in the right positions of power, don't we !!!

We need to recruit some angry men

We must recruit 2 or 3 angry talented footy players with presence who hurt and intimidate the opposition because at the moment we are bunch of fraidy cats. Scott Turner was a personal favourite and glen archer is the pinnacle. Its what hawthorn looked for when it started its rebuild.

Re: We need to recruit some angry men

We have angry men. Tom Hislop and Jake King. Pity they can't play football.

thegdog said:
We must recruit 2 or 3 angry talented footy players with presence who hurt and intimidate the opposition because at the moment we are bunch of fraidy cats. Scott Turner was a personal favourite and glen archer is the pinnacle. Its what hawthorn looked for when it started its rebuild.

Think there are a couple of those on here from what they tell us ;D

Barnzy said:
God If I have to listen to Dwayne Russell sink the boots in all day with talking about past draft picks and trades I'm gonna spew up.

I'd rather travel to Geelong every week rather than listen to that *smile* call our games.

Reckon we had a genuine crack for 10 minutes or so, then lost belief that we could mix it with them in the clinches. Went into our shells and stopped trying to take the game on. That's not to say the players dropped their heads or stopped trying; they simply don't have the tools.

really is not the problem. Footballers first. Martin will fill this role in time, Hislop and King will not

thejinx said:

good call, they are all stuffed by half time - no fitness, no brains, no skill. no wins

May 6 2007

We played Geelong at Telstra as it was called back then and lost by 156 points.Lost our first 8 before winning a game.Won only 3 for the year.Won 11 the following year.20 of the 37 on the list gone.I hope we win 11 next year :-[

Boy dont want to sound to negative but i was at the game today and i couldnt give you a best player! you could have knocked me over with a feather when i read that Lids had 30 odd possies! We were completely out played today simple as that.

Maybe we need an award for the player that shepherds the most team mates into space

We still don't shepherd, and it's not something that is not exclusive to 5+ year players