Game Day - Richmond v North Melbourne, Elimination Final 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond v North Melbourne, Elimination Final 2015

anyone surprised that maric got towelled up.
They even beat us in tackles and we were chasing them all second half of the game.

evo said:
I was shocked when I got home and saw how few possessions most of our players had.I mean Ellis and Grigg arent the greatest players of all time but they nearly always get plenty of pill.

Shank got 8 possessions FFS and Cotch 9!

Nine!

What the hell?

Saw the stats on the scoreboard at 3/4 time (I think)

Most of our top possession winners were defenders. North's were all midfielders.

We were flat as a pancake. Got stagefright. Shat ourselves. I kept waiting for Cotch to do his bulldozer routine and it never came. All the things hat have been billed as our strengths were weaknesses on the day. Contested footy, Cotch and Lids, the backline. The selection of Griff didn't help, as I said elsewhere, why rush back a player who hasn't really proven themselves in home and away footy, and with no match fitness?

This tempo footy has to go too. Why did we keep trying to do it? It wasn't even beginning to look like working. Its finals, keep attacking, keep running keep hitting.

God we played scared yesterday. Not Miles, not Jack, not the lad from Pinjarra, but most of the others. As someone who has suffered from anxiety for years, and as most of you no doubt know intuitively, I can tell you that fear gets you nowhere in life.

It's rarely just one thing that loses you games of footy. We lost yesterday with poor selections, poor tactics, poor skills, and even poor umpiring. But we also lost because we were scared.

The list needs work. But so does the mind.

When we played confidently this year we were nigh-on unbeatable. When we played scared, we were a rabble.

As many have commented, you could almost feel the fear from the stands yesterday. You could certainly see it in our running patterns, our lack of structure, our inability to apply pressure.

It's funny, from high in the stands, watching the play is almost like looking into a brain and its activity. The Richmond brain was chaotic, unsettled. The North calm and collected.

tigers80 said:
3rd quarter in the backline summed up how we stage fright...
Oh the comedy the comedy

Can't fully blame the backline.
Midfield down SFA to stop it getting down there .

We lost 88-105

Key moments

1. Newman misses a sitter (93-105)
2. Griffiths misses an easy shot (98 -105)
3. Chaplin doesn't take on Nahas. (98-99)
4. Vickery handballs to Miles (103-99)

We need to look at our decision making under pressure.

That's without blaming North or the umpires or the selectors or ISIS.

evo said:
I was shocked when I got home and saw how few possessions most of our players had.I mean Ellis and Grigg arent the greatest players of all time but they nearly always get plenty of pill.

Nine!

What the hell?

Yeah I was one of the MCC bars after the match and looked at the stats and couldn't believe it.

DirtyDogTiger said:
We lost 88-105

Key moments

1. Newman misses a sitter (93-105)
2. Griffiths misses an easy shot (98 -105)
3. Chaplin doesn't take on Nahas. (98-99)
4. Vickery handballs to Miles (103-99)

We need to look at our decision making under pressure.

That's without blaming North or the umpires or the selectors or ISIS.

That would have seen us go 17 goals 1 behind for the match, with North sitting on 15 goals 15 behinds.

Still gutted today. When all the possible scenarios were going through my head last week, North preventing all of Cotchin, Delidio and Edwards from having an impact was not one of them. This one burns.

evo said:

Nine!

What the hell?

cotchin sore back
edwards sore leg
griffo-under done

Jacobs reckons he was sick leading into the game.
Just makes cotchin's game even worse then first thoughts

bullus_hit said:
This is the exact reason why I have been pushing for Steve Johnson. Would happily settle for Bennell but if this doesn't occur then SJ would be fine for a couple of seasons. Two finals this week were won by imports, Betts for the Crows, Higgins & Waite for North. We have been too quiet on the free agent front and we are paying for it.

Betts, Higgins, and Waite have not won a Premiership and are still hungry as individuals.
Johnson is Geelong through and through and has won Norm Smiths and Premierships.
He can't get that same feeling at any other club after spending so many years at Geelong and with a group of mates he has more or less grown up with.
It would be a bad move for us.
I'd rather keep going for sustained success rather than plugging holes for one year of potential glory and then back to the doldroms again.
We only have 2 players on our list that are 30 years of age come the start of next year.
We have the 3rd youngest team in the current top-8 and our 'star' players are all under-30 still (Lids the oldest at the start of the 2016 season).
We cannot panic now after one game.
Nobody was talking like this after we dismantled Hawks, Swans, Freo, and Collingwood by 15 goals.
Considering we lost by less than 3 goals with Cotchin, Ellis, and Edwards having less than 30 possessions between them is one positive I see.
Stay the course I say. Top-4 next year and a dynasty within 3 years.

pessimistic_ said:
if only had given em a rest the week before

Why didn't Hardwick play Griff and Conca in Round 23 to give them match time and to test out their injury concerns BEFORE the biggest match of the season? ???
One started as the sub yesterday and the other was subbed out.
Two young players have been affected by this decision.
Our gameplan changed as a result.
Diabolical!