Game Day - Richmond v North Melbourne, Elimination Final 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond v North Melbourne, Elimination Final 2015

Sintiger said:
Today is a day for the whingers and moaners and those who want to say I told you so.

Personally I am just too disappointed to be logical about it tonight. Like all Tiger supporters I will bounce back and we will all front up to another season in 2016.

My only comment is that the crowd was awesome, we have the best and most passionate supporters in the AFL and was proven again today.
Well said Sin.

Middle six draw woo hoo ;D ::)

se7en said:
For a team that was chasing all second half, we only had 51 tackles for the game

No pressure. We were stuffed at the 20 minute mark of the 2qtr. They were running like Gazelles and were chasing ass all day

kiwitiger said:
Disappointing to say the least , this one hurts more than the last two years because we are supposed to be a more mature side now

I

Yep everyone who was anyone whether media or fan was saying this. HowCan so many be so wrong?
There was no evidence of maturity at all today.

Butchered the ball. Time and time again. Simple errors that handed them scores.

We set some sort of record by conceding 14 goals from turnovers against north earlier in the year. Love to know the stats today.

A basic failure to execute under extreme pressure. Thats what separates good players from mediocre and too many mediocre players are why we have blown yet another final.

What really irked me was when we had the ball in the centre and we would kick to space or a set structure it seemed, only to kick directly to a North player, I wish we would look where we were kicking the ball, really robbed ourselves of some good opportunities.

jb03 said:
I think our record is worse against the middle six!
Better teams than where we are now have seen ugly truths unveiled under finals pressure and made player cull/ recruit decisions Accordingly.

frawleyudud said:
Cue the we are hurting comments from the players over pre season.

I'm really looking forward to the "the finals loss has been burning in our guts all summer" comments. ::)

As we proceed to play like *smile* again in the first few weeks of the year with another loss to Melbourne and blow any chance of top 4.

Looking forward to Groundhog Day at the RFC.

As bad as our turn overs were today the thing that irks me is the lack of any blocks or Sheppard's when our guys have the ball or like Cotch today is being tagged. We have guys that run next to the ball carrier rather than laying the block and creating space. Also nobody was willing to change the game, when Boomers running around doing as he pleases why wouldn't somebody split him down the middle alah Scotty Turner all those years ago. And what the hell was Hunt doing? You have to be close to your opponent as a tagger buddy..........

Need some pace in the midfield (go after Bennell) and a crumbing forward.

Just home from the game. What a day to put in a shocker. Just a handful played well today - the rest should have a good hard look at themselves.

Generally the players looked flat and lethargic. Just didn't have their usual zip.

All credit to North - they pantsed us.

Feeling like it was a bit of a wasted year right now. Hope it doesn't stay that way.

I wonder - with 3 years of finals failures - whether there are the usual suspects that haven't performed to any significant level in any of them.

Ridley said:
I'm really looking forward to the "the finals loss has been burning in our guts all summer" comments. ::)

As we proceed to play like sh!t again in the first few weeks of the year with another loss to Melbourne and blow any chance of top 4.

I'd challenge to prove it this year. No Mad Monday. Get straight back into it. Get together and make a pact that they're never going to feel this way again. It's become part of football folklore that the '73 Premiership was won not long after the loss in '72 when Hafey and his players made a pact that they were never going to let that happen again.

Tigers of Old said:
Flat is an understatement.

I thought we tried hard all day to stay in a contest we lost badly.
The scoreboard didn't really reflect Norths dominance. If they kicked straight it'd have been pretty embarrassing really.

Forget the previous week. We're still North's bunnies.
Scott feels confident that he has our team's measure and can out maneuver our gamplan.
He said before the game that the chip passing game we used earlier in the year had caught teams on the hop and he's been proven correct unfortunately.
We tried the chip around game today and it completely fell apart.
Sadly I think it was designed to patch over our weaknesses which is our inability to dispose of the ball quickly without error.
When the heart goes up, we turn it over. We saw that in full force today. Our gameplans don't stand up in finals.

I wonder a little where to from here??
Our 'guns' went missing in action again in a final. I find myself asking are the likes of Dusty, Cotchin, Edwards and even Lids really that good if they can't get it done on the big stage?
I also find myself asking if Damien Hardwick has taken us as far as he can.
Seeing the way the Bulldogs and Adelaide moved the ball last night with crisp precision made me envious.
By comparison it seems we have a lot of honest footballers who's skill sets are questionable. It hasn't improved in 3 years.
After 3 finals failures I think it's time for the club to be honest with itself. We're a middling team, even with our best players all available.
Time for a full review of where we're at because right now we're beige.

Go Tiges.
Good analysis and points raised here. Miles especially, and Lambert, have been been good pick-ups but they are really smallish players. I still believe we definitely need more grunt mids. Cotch and Lids are not the answer inside; they're more classy outside users. People will knock me but we need more brute strength in there; even Thomas would have been a better pick than some. Edwards is another lightweight, outside mid (who did not stand up at all today). McIntosh is one who will develop but we are still too small and light across the ground. You have to admit, Norf's top-ups have been astute, although DalSanto was poor. But Waite and Higgins were winners. We must bring Elton on and see if he is good enough; Dimma refused to play Dea so I still don't know if he could have held a spot, but probably leaving anyway. And not sure where we are at with Astbury.
Gameplan of numerous chip passes will never stand up in extreme finals pressure where must win contested ball and tackle, tackle, tackle. I think both Dogs and Crows would have chopped us up with the game they played last night, and DID in H & A rounds. This is where the game will go next year IMO. Note how Dogs dealt with Norf last match. We need to bring on fast, high-skill players like Minogue, Drummond, Castagna as well as the tall defender and midfield grunt.
Have serious doubts about Dimma strategically in pre and match respects (like many here) too, but have to say. As a decent club with good values, it's been hard to obtain the required A-grade talent with compromised drafts. Most of our recycled have done reasonable role-play jobs when we don't tank and cheat like Carlscum etc. Maybe we have to become far more ruthless and a bit less 'worthy' to improve from here.

Ridley said:

As we proceed to play like sh!t again in the first few weeks of the year with another loss to Melbourne and blow any chance of top 4.

Yep. Nothing ever changes.

Never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Richmond. Where tomorrow never comes.

Gutted but kind of suspected I would be. The war drags on with no end in sight….

Thought Jack was great, and Grimes too.
And was also impressed by the cut of the tiger supporters. The more affordable elimination final really attracts the type of supporters I enjoy seeing at the footy – the very old and the decrepit who have witnessed the glory days, the strugglers and the grafters, the untidy and the unkept. The heavily but often poorly tattooed. All in all there’s something more traditional in an elimination final crowd. Shame didn’t see any blue & white claret to cap off the traditional feel.

Now that it's over I'm kind of glad. The serenity of the garden beckons.

Go Tiges !

mtench said:
As bad as our turn overs were today the thing that irks me is the lack of any blocks or Sheppard's when our guys have the ball or like Cotch today is being tagged. We have guys that run next to the ball carrier rather than laying the block and creating space. Also nobody was willing to change the game, when Boomers running around doing as he pleases why wouldn't somebody split him down the middle alah Scotty Turner all those years ago. And what the hell was Hunt doing? You have to be close to your opponent as a tagger buddy..........

Need some pace in the midfield (go after Bennell) and a crumbing forward.

I think the only protection for Cotch was when he was running to the bench and Maric tried to play what looked like a game of tag with Jacobs as he was running off too. Nothing during actual gameplay unfortunately.

toby64 said:
Butchered the ball. Time and time again. Simple errors that handed them scores.

This was because after the 1st quartyer we completey lost our game plan, which relies on keeping possession, we didn;t run to provide support and multiple options therefore our kicks went longer and to riskier positions.

IanG said:
This was because after the 1st quartyer we completey lost our game plan, which relies on keeping possession, we didn;t run to provide support and multiple options therefore our kicks went longer and to riskier positions.

You are right, but some of that was our own fault. There were numerous times where the next short kick was so obvious to everyone in the crowd but we hesitated and that player was then covered which forced us to go to more risky contests.

IanG said:

Even the short ones were butchered on many occasions.