Game Day - Richmond v North Melbourne, Elimination Final 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond v North Melbourne, Elimination Final 2015

I don't reckon we choked. I reckon the score flattered us. We lost every stat there is. Bottom line is North are better than us. They beat us twice this year (and I dont count rd 23's win against b side team).

For a team that was chasing all second half, we only had 51 tackles for the game

We were spent last year, this one is just awful. Should have been better than that - old Richmond today in that midfield stars get held & team goes missing.

Not all doom & gloom though - smart recruiting can fix what must be fixed if we are to get better.

I hate losing to North .... They've had the wood on us for 20 years .... But what makes it worse is that a player from a club that I hate most of all got them over the line!

Carlton is at the bottom of the ladder but the footy gods still find a way to rub our noses in it :'(

Immensely disappointed. Really thought we were going to win today.

Our contested footy today was really poor, we just couldn't win the ball. They smashed us by what 30 contested possessions. We've lost contested possessions last year and its something that needs to be addressed. They took Cotch out of the game and we had no-one to stand up and support Miles. We played a lot of dumb footy bombing the ball into a forward line that has a spare man back, we couldn't easily transition from kick ins.

I actually thought in the 2nd half we looked like dwarves compared to them, every ball in the air that was there to be contested seemed to be won by only 1 team.

Maric looked cooked, had lead in his legs today, couldn't take a mark to save his life but the most disappointing thing about Maric, Vickery and Griffiths was if they didn't mark the ball, it was marked by the opposition, we just were not bringing the ball to ground.

Neither of our gambles paid off, Conca looked incredibly rusty, was surprised to see his disposal efficiency was 75%, really though he didn't hit targets today.

Seriously need to fix some of our deficiencies. Maybe we are further away than any of us really thought.

Djevv said:
It seems to me that we have been a poor side all year in winning the contested ball, especially against the better sides. What we like to do is allow them an inside 50, win the ball back, then counter attack of HB. They simply did not allow this all game. Perhaps because of fresher players?

I think we need to upgrade our rucking stocks and inside ball winners. Our favoured game-plan simply does not stand up in September.

This is unquestionably the truth.

Flat is an understatement.

I thought we tried hard all day to stay in a contest we lost badly.
The scoreboard didn't really reflect Norths dominance. If they kicked straight it'd have been pretty embarrassing really.

Forget the previous week. We're still North's bunnies.
Scott feels confident that he has our team's measure and can out maneuver our gamplan.
He said before the game that the chip passing game we used earlier in the year had caught teams on the hop and he's been proven correct unfortunately.
We tried the chip around game today and it completely fell apart.
Sadly I think it was designed to patch over our weaknesses which is our inability to dispose of the ball quickly without error.
When the heart goes up, we turn it over. We saw that in full force today. Our gameplans don't stand up in finals.

I wonder a little where to from here??
Our 'guns' went missing in action again in a final. I find myself asking are the likes of Dusty, Cotchin, Edwards and even Lids really that good if they can't get it done on the big stage?
I also find myself asking if Damien Hardwick has taken us as far as he can.
Seeing the way the Bulldogs and Adelaide moved the ball last night with crisp precision made me envious.
By comparison it seems we have a lot of honest footballers who's skill sets are questionable. It hasn't improved in 3 years.
After 3 finals failures I think it's time for the club to be honest with itself. We're a middling team, even with our best players all available.
Time for a full review of where we're at because right now we're beige.

Go Tiges.

Tigers of Old said:

The scoreboard didn't really reflect Norths dominance. If they kicked straight it'd have been pretty embarrassing really.

Scott feels confident that he has our team's measure and can out maneuver our gamplan.
He said before the game that the chip passing game we used earlier in the year had caught teams on the hop and he's been proven correct unfortunately.
Sadly I think it was designed to patch over our weaknesses which is our inability to dispose of the ball quickly without error.
When the heart goes up, we turn it over. We saw that in full force today. Our gameplans don't stand up in finals.

Our 'guns' went missing in action again in a final. I find myself asking are the likes of Dusty, Cotchin, Edwards and even Lids really that good if they can't get it done on the big stage?
Seeing the way the Bulldogs and Adelaide moved the ball last night with crisp precision made me envious.
By comparison it seems we have a lot of honest footballers who's skill sets are questionable. It hasn't improved in 3 years.
After 3 finals failures I think it's time for the club to be honest with itself. We're a middling team, even with our best players all available.

Go Tiges.
good post...agreed.

Haven't read others views yet. IMHO biggest simple error was allowing a loose man in defence an the fact we bombed down the line to Goldstien and Hansen, geez I hate that football club.

TigerForce said:
I sometimes wonder what Ellis is trying to achieve by bombing into the air most times when I50.

Mentioned that during match. Not sure if he is hurried lazy or just doesn't know what to with it.

CC TIGER said:
Haven't read others views yet. IMHO biggest simple error was allowing a loose man in defence an the fact we bombed down the line to Goldstien and Hansen, geez I hate that football club.

1 smashed in the ruck
2 smashed in the clearances, Miles aside.
3 smashed by Waite, need a replacement CHB
4. Dumb not being able to stop the bomb to spare man in defence. North blocked all other avenues and we had no plan B
Need a good,tall ruck, 2 bigger midfielders, a new CHB another forward,maybe Lennon.

The_General said:
As they say in Star Wars, I have a bad feeling about this.

They're playing better than us. Smarter than us. We're holding on, just.
Signs aren't good.
Definitely the impression I had at this juncture. There was nothing to say we knew how to get out of it.

Tigers of Old said:

Go Tiges.

yes and no. Review can't hurt, don't get me wrong. But we beat ourselves, again

Have only just got home and haven't read anything yet so apologies if I'm repeating others. We were beaten when the team was named and they went with reputation over results by dropping 2 in-form players for 2 coming back from injury. I kinda get the Griff selection but I have no idea what they were thinking with Conca. As soon as I saw the team, I toned down the banter with the North supporting husband cos I had a feeling we'd lost it.

As for the day itself, we seem to have a problem in big games with getting a few goals up and taking the foot off the pedal. Today reminded me a lot of the Carlton elim final a couple of years ago. I'm more disappointed though cos we're supposed to be better than that now.