Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles

The_General said:
28 changers from disposals.

Game over.

Thought we'd lose by three goals and I was close. Just knew we'd lose coming off the bye.

I thought we would lose because that is what we typically do in games like this. An against the odds win followed by a letdown.

Richmond do letdowns better than anyone.

West Coast didn't prove much to me tonight. We were awful and they only win by a few kicks.

The bye killed us as I expected. Looked like the team v North not the team v Freo

No urgency, skills awful, fumbles, missed tackles. It was all there tonight.

The score line flattered us. We should have list by a lot more. We were flat tonight. But credit to the Eagles they did their homework on us.

What got me stuffed is why we didn't push more numbers in our forward line to negate their loose men.

BrisTiger24 said:
West Coast didn't prove much to me tonight. We were awful and they only win by a few kicks.

The bye killed us as I expected. Looked like the team v North not the team v Freo

Yeah blame the bye

Just got back from game and we were poor. They blocked us up; denied us the short kicks to keep possession and forced us to go long. They also killed us in the ruck (Maric is no longer an option against the super athletes) and clearances overall.

However we didn't help ourselves either tactically or skill wise. Hardwick played too many behind the ball instead of going one on one and making everything a contest. Eagles always killed us on the spread as they had at least +1 bringing ball down the ground. We are a contested ball team - play to those strengths instead of away from them.

At times in Q1 and Q3, I counted 8 of our players inside defensive 50 at the centre bounces and we still didn't rebound after WC inevitably won the clearance. Was a farce.

Going long down the line is an inevitability of modern football as it used to be in the good old days. However the talls must compete and to that end, Vickery and Griffiths were poor. Out marked and out rebounded far too often. I really can't see Vickery's future as a forward as he just can't mark overhead in contested situations. Can only do it on the lead. Griffiths just still doesn't believe - so much ability and so little belief.

Structurally we still need 3-4 more quality players to make the jump up the ladder - another mid with great finishing skills; a quick small forward that scores and one more decent half back with skills and speed. Houli gets shut down & Rance gets dragged into minding a dangerous forward and we have no run and rebound.

Throw in too many fumbles and turnovers and there was an opportunity lost. Bad night to play a bad game. Opponents came to play with a plan and like too many times in recent years, we never seem to have a plan B when plan A doesn't work.

BrisTiger24 said:

I was actuallly pretty impressed with West Coast. They move the ball extremely quickly. Martin aside, they had the best half dozen plus players on the ground.

Nicnat feeding their runners on a platter, plenty of overlap run and good ball use. Fairly open forward line with multiple targets. They are a good side...certainly better than us. Frustrating given we accounted for them easily last two years.

Thought they worked harder than we did. We came out half asleep early in first second and 3rd qtrs, conceeded a brace of gaols in each and were always playing catchup. They played a food style of football and clogged up our space, which seems to be the blueprint to beating us. Clog the space, our players panic, fumble and turn the ball over. Pretty simple.

Thought the 20 point margin flattered us

- Loose man in the backline absolutely murdered us tonight
- Midfield was smashed, mainly thanks to Naitanuis dominance
- Poor coaching performance by Hardwick, really needed to try expose Sheppard for his height
- Liked Ellis before he went off injured, and young Menadues pace, a lot to work with here
- Morris and Hunt need to be upgraded if we are to take the next step

Next week's effort and performance against the Swans up in the harbour city will speak volumes as to the depth of character within this list.

BrisTiger24 said:
You think not playing for 2 weeks against a team that played last week had nothing to do with the fumbles and skill errors in the first quarter?

First five minutes maybe, which were absolutely shocking. But we'd somehow got ourselves in the game by half time. Lost our structure then our composure, or vice versa maybe, and the entire second half was played on the Eagles' terms.

Was as quiet a 45K crowd as I've ever experienced, had the atmosphere of a neutral venue at times. Maybe it was the cold weather.

Lots of spectators out there tonight. A throw back to the bad old days. The difference in player activity between the teams was acute. Lots of standing around watching - whether on offence or defence. WC certainly deserved their win.

Our undermanned forwards set up high tonight and gave our mids no space to run into and no space in which to lead into either. Even when we got the ball - we had no chance of scoring freely.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Was as quiet a 45K crowd as I've ever experienced, had the atmosphere of a neutral venue at times. Maybe it was the cold weather.

I'll say. The Weagles supporters - hard to tell how many there were but it seemed a lot - made much more noise than us. Weird for an interstate team.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Spot on. I was there at various places around the ground and thinking how flat and quiet we were, reckon we are better barracked in daylight.

Wasn't our best game, wasn't our worst.

They (WC) where pretty good. They have some weapons. Not sure if our best would beat their best. There isn't much between the two of us.

We still have some upside in players still young enough to go up a notch or two I reckon their are a enough of those. But still reckon we need an injection of at least two dam good to elite players. Upgrading a couple of average players on top of that to push us up into the top level.

Our best is competitive agin the best, but not yet good enough to best the best when at their best.

Our worst is what has us in trouble. Had we beat one or two of Dees, dogs, Cats or nth and our year to date would be pretty fair. But the gap between that and what we have produced for 4 in a row could leave us middle of the RD for another year.

Oh well plenty of chances to get on top of that and maybe take another step FWD.