Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles

saigon tiger said:
I thought the dreamtime game was a dull game also lacked atmosphere. Only the result gave me enthusiasm.

was going to post the same. for a big crowd it was very quite. our strangle, boundary line, risk averse game plan is killing the atmosphere at the game. heard a few people around me comment the same last night.

Had a feeling all night that the players were just waiting for someone else to lift them, rather than the collective intent of the past month.

But West Coast were slick and carved us apart on numerous occasions. Eerily similar to what Port did to us last year - just seems we can't cope with high quality, determined ball movement. Lots of missed tackles were costly and their pressure on us was very good.

tigerlove said:
Speaking of 50s, how about the 50m penalty when I think it was Natanui received a free in the forward line, he played on with a handball to Priddis who handballed to someone else who ran towards goal so was tackled by Morris and they then gave them a 50 metre penalty. Or was it paid for something else?

bloke next to me said one of the tigers told the umpire what he thought of his decision but I am not sure

Harry said:
was going to post the same. for a big crowd it was very quite. our strangle, boundary line, risk averse game plan is killing the atmosphere at the game. heard a few people around me comment the same last night.

We had to put the foot on the gas in the third after a patient first half.

Didn't happen.

Never got out of second gear.

tigerlove said:
Speaking of 50s, how about the 50m penalty when I think it was Natanui received a free in the forward line, he played on with a handball to Priddis who handballed to someone else who ran towards goal so was tackled by Morris and they then gave them a 50 metre penalty. Or was it paid for something else?

Natanui was going to go third man up in the ruck and Chaplin blocked/shepherded him from the contest.

Umpire Shaun Ryan paid a free kick to Natanui who played on, in the mean time Chaplin gave the umpire Ryan a serve. Umpire Ryan got upset and called the ball back and paid 50m for abuse.

Wayne Campbell was asked about the decision after the game. He said umpire Ryan came into the rooms at half-time and queried whether he got trhe decision correct. Campbell said he got it wrong as third man up gets treated like a normal midfielder and Chaplin was not in the wrong to stand in fron of him.

For what it's worth it was also umpire Ryan who didn't pay the mark to Rance and then paid 50m against him for throwing the ball back too firmly...

Wonder if he'll be umpiring next week, had a stinker.

One-eyed Tiger said:
Natanui was going to go third man up in the ruck and Chaplin blocked/shepherded him from the contest.

Umpire Shaun Ryan paid a free kick to Natanui who played on, in the mean time Chaplin gave the umpire Ryan a serve. Umpire Ryan got upset and called the ball back and paid 50m for abuse.

Wayne Campbell was asked about the decision after the game. He said umpire Ryan came into the rooms at half-time and queried whether he got trhe decision correct. Campbell said he got it wrong as third man up gets treated like a normal midfielder and Chaplin was not in the wrong to stand in fron of him.

For what it's worth it was also umpire Ryan who didn't pay the mark to Rance and then paid 50m against him for throwing the ball back too firmly...

Yes - those two decisions cost us 12 points - and got the crowd going

Even though we won the free count - they seemed to get the critical ones (whatever that means ;D)

One-eyed Tiger said:

Yep, got the flight booked to Sydney already.

The game last night showed exactly why the wider football community does not rate Richmond. Everyone knows that Richmond is extremely flaky and does not stand up under the weight of expectation. It's been the pattern for over 3 decades and the club just can not break the cycle.

West Coast had been going well but in reality had beaten no one of any note. The only win against a top 8 team was against the developing Giants at Subiaco. We had just come off a stellar win against the previously unbeaten Dockers and were entitled to favouritism on our home ground. But we obviously spent the bye break reading our own press and drinking our own bath water. We were as flat as a shitcarter's hat in the first 15 minutes. Geez we do that so often in games we are expected to win; we always lack intensity at the start of the game.

We got smashed last night. The final 20 point margin was very flattering. Our tackling was soft and our pressure almost non existent. The Eagles smashed us in the clearances when it counted and also cut us apart on the outside. They ran harder and worked harder; quite simply they wanted it more against a team who again had got ahead of itself and thought it would happen just by turning up.

The same old untrustworthy Richmond that we saw earlier in the year returned last night. Until the club can learn to deal with expectation it will continue to tread water.

Spot on .... This club needs more than leading teams it needs a kick up the asse..

Ridley said:
The game last night showed exactly why the wider football community does not rate Richmond. Everyone knows that Richmond is extremely flaky and does not stand up under the weight of expectation. It's been the pattern for over 3 decades and the club just can not break the cycle.

West Coast had been going well but in reality had beaten no one of any note. The only win against a top 8 team was against the developing Giants at Subiaco. We had just come off a stellar win against the previously unbeaten Dockers and were entitled to favouritism on our home ground. But we obviously spent the bye break reading our own press and drinking our own bath water. We were as flat as a sh!tcarter's hat in the first 15 minutes. Geez we do that so often in games we are expected to win; we always lack intensity at the start of the game.

We got smashed last night. The final 20 point margin was very flattering. Our tackling was soft and our pressure almost non existent. The Eagles smashed us in the clearances when it counted and also cut us apart on the outside. They ran harder and worked harder; quite simply they wanted it more against a team who again had got ahead of itself and thought it would happen just by turning up.

The same old untrustworthy Richmond that we saw earlier in the year returned last night. Until the club can learn to deal with expectation it will continue to tread water.

In a wider context...

Since 2007 only geelong, hawks and sydney have achieved what you have pointed out. We all want that.

In that time Saints and doggies got close n fell away. Pies snuck in a flag n fell away. Freo are starting to hold firm.

No other team has breached that gap into the realms that get you that respect. Like freo, I hope we r doing all the things that it takes to get there.

Will we? Nobody knows. But we are closer than we have been since 1982. To build a side like the hawks swans or freo needs many things to be built into place piece by piece. Our last 4 weeks showed we have added to the foundations we have built. The rest of the season will tell us a load more about the direction the side is going.

Either way, we have a solid core of decent footballers to build on. Long time since thats been the case!

IMHO of course.

ninjahaha said:
In a wider context...

Since 2007 only geelong, hawks and sydney have achieved what you have pointed out. We all want that.

In that time Saints and doggies got close n fell away. Pies snuck in a flag n fell away. Freo are starting to hold firm.

No other team has breached that gap into the realms that get you that respect. Like freo, I hope we r doing all the things that it takes to get there.

Will we? Nobody knows. But we are closer than we have been since 1982. To build a side like the hawks swans or freo needs many things to be built into place piece by piece. Our last 4 weeks showed we have added to the foundations we have built. The rest of the season will tell us a load more about the direction the side is going.

Either way, we have a solid core of decent footballers to build on. Long time since thats been the case!

IMHO of course.

I'm not necessarily talking about winning flags but obviously that is the ultimate goal. It's more about putting yourself in a position where you are able to consistently compete at the upper echelon of the ladder. Only then do you get the chance to win the flag. How many of us would have loved what Collingwood had 4-5 years ago? Win a flag then lose the GF the following year; stuff we can only dream of. Then they fell away but indications are that at 8-3 they are on the way back already. Early days this year granted and they haven't beaten much yet but I'd rather sit where they are right now than where we are. Yes the Saints and Dogs never achieved the ultimate but over the course of 4-5 years they continued to put themselves there with a chance. Again a position we haven't been close to in 30 years.

The real key with the club is developing the mental steel and application to keep pushing higher. Our flakiness continually impedes our progress. Time and time again we fail when there is expectation and pressure. It happened again last night. Look at what happened against Freo. No one gave us a snow flake's chance in hell. Ergo there was absolutely no pressure on us and we played with abandon and freedom and executed the plan perfectly. Then after a couple of weeks of patting ourselves on the back the spotlight goes on us and we respond with insipid intensity and get pantsed.

I agree though the rest of this season will tell a lot about where this club is going with this list and this coach. Six years in and the time for excuses is over. Time to deliver and deliver consistently.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but Maric is just not up to AFL standard, a typical slow dinosaur of a ruckman who doesn't do enough. Not sure why we even go with a ruckman, when we consistently get smashed in the hit outs, we should just go with a more mobile type. The hit out result will be the same.

I've never seen our midfield get first use of the ball, not good enough!!!

Chocco said:
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but Maric is just not up to AFL standard, a typical slow dinosaur of a ruckman who doesn't do enough. Not sure why we even go with a ruckman, when we consistently get smashed in the hit outs, we should just go with a more mobile type. The hit out result will be the same.

I've never seen our midfield get first use of the ball, not good enough!!!

Maric's always going to get smashed against Sandilands, Nic Nat and probably Goldstein. Thankfully there aren't too many more like that around.

Otherwise Ivan has been OK this year. But he is starting to show his age and we seriously need to think about what we do to replace him in the next year or two. I know one thing for sure; Hampson is not the answer!!

Ridley said:
Maric's always going to get smashed against Sandilands, Nic Nat and probably Goldstein. Thankfully there aren't too many more like that around.

Otherwise Ivan has been OK this year. But he is starting to show his age and we seriously need to think about what we do to replace him in the next year or two. I know one thing for sure; Hampson is not the answer!!

Agree. Ivan is a damn competitive beast and beats most of his opponents on the ground in contested possession, tackles etc but he is no match for the giant ruckmen in ruck contests. His time is near and we don't have a ready or highly potential replacement. I do not want to see Hampson play again, he is a liability around the ground.

A couple of points from last nights game.

1. Had we delivered the ball to our forwards and not kicked it straight to Weagle's back men we would have placed far more scoreboard pressure on them. Their loose man in the backline had a field day against our forwards due to the poor delivery of our mid fielders. Weagles may have handled better delivery from our mid field, they may have panicked they may have folded. Who knows but we lost it here

2. We allowed the Weagles to play their game. Not once did we bustle them off their possession game.

3. Stop Delideo stop Richmond. He did not have the influence on the Weagles like he did on the Dockers two weeks prior.

Are we a finals team? Time will tell.

Ridley said:
I'm not necessarily talking about winning flags but obviously that is the ultimate goal. It's more about putting yourself in a position where you are able to consistently compete at the upper echelon of the ladder. Only then do you get the chance to win the flag. How many of us would have loved what Collingwood had 4-5 years ago? Win a flag then lose the GF the following year; stuff we can only dream of. Then they fell away but indications are that at 8-3 they are on the way back already. Early days this year granted and they haven't beaten much yet but I'd rather sit where they are right now than where we are. Yes the Saints and Dogs never achieved the ultimate but over the course of 4-5 years they continued to put themselves there with a chance. Again a position we haven't been close to in 30 years.

The real key with the club is developing the mental steel and application to keep pushing higher. Our flakiness continually impedes our progress. Time and time again we fail when there is expectation and pressure. It happened again last night. Look at what happened against Freo. No one gave us a snow flake's chance in hell. Ergo there was absolutely no pressure on us and we played with abandon and freedom and executed the plan perfectly. Then after a couple of weeks of patting ourselves on the back the spotlight goes on us and we respond with insipid intensity and get pantsed.

I agree though the rest of this season will tell a lot about where this club is going with this list and this coach. Six years in and the time for excuses is over. Time to deliver and deliver consistently.

Im not talking Grand finals either. Im talking the respect that the top three teams at the moment get. Geelong still have it and rightly so. Pies had it briefly as did the dogs and saints for short periods.

The two points I am trying to make is that it took them more than the 6 years dima has had. It takes a long time. The next point is that the rest of the comp have not had had it since 2007. Thats a load of proud clubs. Wealthy clubs. AFL backed clubs. Clubs who have had the ultimate success post the 80's. Most have been where we have been since 2013. Climb from the pits to 5-10th but can't crack that top 4 let alone repeat it if they do. Its not easy to do.

We are on the cusp of taking that next step, stagnating or falling away.

But its the closest we have come for over 30 years. That is a reality. We are not just wishin and hopen. We need to stick phat. Enjoy this relative success until the wheels fall off. We will never make the next step if we are not brave enough to see it through before we tear it apart.

Too much the sky is falling at every speed hump. We have reason to fear the worst. Sure. But I personally am happy to wait to see what actually happens. Not wollow in the fear of another false dawn.

3 goals were gifted to them and plenty of missed frees from incorrect disposal. We were terrible but it could have been a 2 point ball game. Problem is we are well back in the pack now and my forecast puts us missing finals unfortunately.

MB78 said:
Did any of our talls win their position on the night?

I felt that was one area where we would have the clear advantage.

Watching the TV it looked like...errmm... TV had a half foot advantage over his direct opponent. If this was the case, why wasn't he totally isolated at FF on a big clear out?

AFLCA
10 Naitanui
7 Martin, McGovern
3 Gaff
2 Yeo
1 Priddis

Progressive
34 Martin (6 games)
32 Edwards (5)
27 Cotchin (4)
24 Ellis (5)
15 Houli (3)
11 Deledio (2), Riewoldt (2)
9 Rance (1)
7 Hunt (1)
6 Miles (1)
5 McIntosh (1), Grigg (1)
4 Maric (3)
3 Vlastuin (1)

GEDS1 said:
3 goals were gifted to them and plenty of missed frees from incorrect disposal. We were terrible but it could have been a 2 point ball game. Problem is we are well back in the pack now and my forecast puts us missing finals unfortunately.
Obviously the 5 frees in a row against West Coast in the 2nd quarter that were basically wrong and 2 were in the forward 50, that would of been certain goals, go un-noticed? Pull ya head in Geds!