Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs West Coast Eagles

Found it strange that we never played a conventional full fwd. At every bounce all our fwds were positioned at least 30m+ from goals.

Last night looked like a classic suburban game where one team had a better ruckman than the other and the team structured up accordingly. I dont think the eagles are any more talented than the tiges but they were prepared to spread harder and they did their homework and structured up smarter.

tha8ball said:
I dont think the eagles are any more talented than the tiges but they were prepared to spread harder and they did their homework and structured up smarter.

They looked more talented to me. Thought the final score flattered us.

How many times have we gone into a game after the bye against a team who didn't have the bye....and got done. I was worried when everyone kept saying the Eagles come off a 6 day break. Very odd situation. Fitness ? Skill? Attitude?

tigertim said:
How many times have we gone into a game after the bye against a team who didn't have the bye....and got done. I was worried when everyone kept saying the Eagles come off a 6 day break. Very odd situation. Fitness ? Skill? Attitude?

Had two weeks of back slapping after the Freo game. Media talking up our new gameplan, talking about top 4 etc.

In the typical Richmond way, players looked like they just expected it to happen. Complete lack of intensity from the first bounce and the start of every qtr.

toby64 said:
Next month will tell a tale. Should win 3 of the 4.

However, with performances like this always a possibility, i wouldnt bank on it.

Last night was typical Richmond.

When hunted we struggle.
When game isnt played on our terms players and coaches simply cant adjust.

We came out at the start of each qtr and were flat. They jumped us in each of the first 3 qtrs and we had to play catchup.

Why were they so flat in what was such an important game? Perhaps it wasnt important enough to enough of them. Fluctuations in form and effort just way too great for us to be considered anything more than middling IMO.

Oh well another 27 sessions with Gerard Murphy should fix everything.

Wasnt our best game, lost to a good side who played well.

If we dont play our best footy and still competitive against the sides in the top 4, then we have come a long way.

Foundations are there to take the next step.

Season is 22 games, then finals. Judge them on that rather than week to week. Dominant sides like the hawks and swans didnt appear after one or two finals appearances, and even they lose games.

14 points down with heaps of time on the clock when Rance gives away the 50 . Not saying it changed the result but fair dinkum without doubt the worst 50 paid since the inception of the 50. He was lying on his stomach and underarmed the throw FFS , not as if he stood up and baseballed it back. Any reaction on melbourne radio from AFL or the umps . Going to be a long week over here in the west!!

Their grid setup killed us.
Used the ball better.
Always seemed to have numbers around the ball.

Off our game.
Intensity I thought was great ,just our disposal let us down and we also slowed the game too much.

Need to find that balance we had the previous weeks.

Not overly distraught over the loss.

Another lesson learnt.

the atmosphere at the ground was dull. so was some of the 'entertainment'. we were average. Eagles moved the ball better and the person who I took for their first game ever said the same. "The Tigers aren't flowing" she said.

tigertim said:
I'm going with attitude. We had lost our momentum hitting the bye. Purely a mental thing I think. Maybe the slow starts to the year are indicative of the same flaw. Takes us a while to get going.

It's almost like we need some forced urgency to wake up. It's not a knock on Dimma, as I think he's right, but he doesn't rely on emotional addresses, more on processes. He said on SEN that emotional rev ups don't work across a season.

However we appear to need a running start to get going. We're crap off a standing start. Maybe he should pull the emotions a bit more at these times.

The Eagles did to us what we did to Freo. Control the ball, run in waves, short and sharp kicking on angles and roll up to the next man with intent knowing you had cover.

That's as well drilled a side I've seen in a long time. But it was a carbon copy of the Doggies game. And we had no answer. Got smashed in the midfield.

Andrew Gaff and Masten ran us off our legs. Defensively our midfield was a sieve.

Harry said:
have noticed this all year. direct result of our game style

Nah its the fear I reckon, I've noticed it whenever its an important game that we need to win and we're expected to win. We get the fear. Its a bummer though because we didn't lean on the ump like we should have. Also, I hate any loss, but I can cop that one. The comp is so tight, WC were well and truly on, we were a bit off but stuck at it. Tigers used to fold like a deck of cards, we don't any more. If we'd got WC last week we would have done them, they played like we did last night against North. Thats just the nature of the comp now I reckon. No side is stand-out awesome due to the GC and GWS diluting the talent pool and taking 5 years worth of top talent. I still believe we'll go OK this year.

SCOOP said:
The Eagles did to us what we did to Freo. Control the ball, run in waves, short and sharp kicking on angles and roll up to the next man with intent knowing you had cover.

That's as well drilled a side I've seen in a long time. But it was a carbon copy of the Doggies game. And we had no answer. Got smashed in the midfield.

Andrew Gaff and Masten ran us off our legs. Defensively our midfield was a sieve.

You are 100% right in everything you have written. Don't forget though all the turnovers which we lost count of. You could be excused for thinking our players picked out a WC player on purpose, so bad were the deliveries. The guy in front of us was beside himself with despair. Having said that the Weagles are the real deal and deserved to win. they were fast and Nick Nat was superb in the ruck, giving his mid fielders an armchair ride.

If we play like that against the Swannies then god help us.

Kaelan said:
14 points down with heaps of time on the clock when Rance gives away the 50 . Not saying it changed the result but fair dinkum without doubt the worst 50 paid since the inception of the 50. He was lying on his stomach and underarmed the throw FFS , not as if he stood up and baseballed it back. Any reaction on melbourne radio from AFL or the umps . Going to be a long week over here in the west!!

Speaking of 50s, how about the 50m penalty when I think it was Natanui received a free in the forward line, he played on with a handball to Priddis who handballed to someone else who ran towards goal so was tackled by Morris and they then gave them a 50 metre penalty. Or was it paid for something else?

Harry said:
have noticed this all year. direct result of our game style

I thought the dreamtime game was a dull game also lacked atmosphere. Only the result gave me enthusiasm.