Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Crows

Yep, worst performance for the year...........by far.

Hopefully the rumor that the flu had gone through a few players during the week was the reason for that listless performance.

The Tigers are still two pre-seasons, another full season and three to four good players short of being contenders.
The nucleus is there ... just need to top-up with some class.

Simply cant trust this mob. Just when you dare to dream that things are finally different the Old Richmond rears its ugly head again. The Crows came at us, had a plan and our blokes *smile* themselves. We were the hunted and didnt cope. Again.

JR8 said:
Yep, worst performance for the year...........by far.

Hopefully the rumor that the flu had gone through a few players during the week was the reason for that listless performance.

I think we just made that rumour up here on PRE to try and make sense of such a poor performance.

Ruck stocks going forward are a concern. Stoppage work simply pathetic tonight.

fatcat said:
MalenyTiger said:
It makes you wonder idf the flu had gone through the whole group during the week and Lids was just the last one to get over it...
[/quote

Oh come melany if we are gonna blame the flu......seriously it's mental with this team and until we get over it we won't contend....again apologies to all pre enders buts that's fact .]

It's not unreasonable to suggest that other players also fell ill and weren't feeling 100% tonight, it happens every year in footy teams.
My personal opinion though is that after the massive efforts of the last 2 games we were due for an insipid and lacklustre performance tonight. We probably would've won this game a fortnight ago!

Noticeably way off in intensity, hunger, focus all over the ground. When blokes like Rance and Jack are not competing in contests you know something is majorly wrong. That was the difference. Even losing ruck and clearances like we did tonight we are usually fierce at the ball carrier, closing space, manning the mark with intent. None of that tonight.

Commentators said Adelaide made us play that way. I reckon that's crap. We just didn't bring the right attitude tonight.

toby64 said:
Simply cant trust this mob. Just when you dare to dream that things are finally different the Old Richmond rears its ugly head again. The Crows came at us, had a plan and our blokes sh!t themselves. We were the hunted and didnt cope. Again.

Still a lot less crushing than some other defeats. Four games left and should play finals, still a chance to achieve something worthwhile. I'll get over this quickly and look forward to next week, albeit a little chastened.

We're not a steely machine yet. That's footy.

We were flat and being 5% off your game means a 5 goal thrashing these days.

Thought the scoreboard flattered us - I haven't seen Adelaide play that well before but given Hampson / Maric didn't work we were one runner down and then when Grimes was subbed out - we were always up against it.

Good reality check to have with 4 games to go and surely our aim now is to get a home elimination final.

Disgusting effort terrible team selection. Houli was simply awful

BrisTiger24 said:
Noticeably way off in intensity, hunger, focus all over the ground. When blokes like Rance and Jack are not competing in contests you know something is majorly wrong. That was the difference. Even losing ruck and clearances like we did tonight we are usually fierce at the ball carrier, closing space, manning the mark with intent. None of that tonight.

Commentators said Adelaide made us play that way. I reckon that's crap. We just didn't bring the right attitude tonight.

Problem is it happens a bit. We have been lucky to get away with it in games against the likes of GWS and Carlton. And often the lack of intensity is a week after a good win. Too flakey these blokes.

jb03 said:
I think we just made that rumour up here on PRE to try and make sense of such a poor performance.

Ruck stocks going forward are a concern. Stoppage work simply pathetic tonight.

Lowest number of shots at goal ever under Dimma.
So saying its the worst isn't far off.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Still a lot less crushing than some other defeats. Four games left and should play finals, still a chance to achieve something worthwhile. I'll get over this quickly and look forward to next week, albeit a little chastened.

We're not a steely machine yet. That's footy.

Agree lee....we should but we think we have...

One thing about our psyche lately:

- We can beat anyone when we're emotionally charged. Yet, we struggle to dispassionately follow the process when there's a lack of meaning/stimulus beyond simply banking the 4 points. The answer is for the leaders to develop our self-talk as 'the boss'.

We've spent 6 years under Dimma learning how to hunt. It's reasonable that we are yet to fully developed the skills necessary of how to correctly think about ourselves as the top dog. It's a totally different mindset and our leaders don't seem to know a good way to approach it (or maybe it hasn't been a conscious issue that requires in-depth discussion)

Case in point: We should have anticipated that Adelaide would try to push and shove early. They're sick of hearing about how we roughed up Hawthorn and its natural for them to want to prove they're tougher than us.

There should have been a directive from every leader on the ground to be the first one to initiate contact, just to send a message to Adelaide and the football world saying yes we are the new unsociable leaders of the competition and no you can't match our physicality.

Where were Cotchin and co's bully tactics his week? Why didn't he feel the need to treat Thompson the same way he treated Hodge? It disappeared because he's never had to cultivate that tough psychology in a team of top dogs at this club. He's only ever had to get everyone up for the hunt. Gerard Murphy will be all over this I'm sure. Learning how to handle that 'being the best' element of leadership has to be the biggest thing we learn this year from a mindset point of view if we want to win a flag next year IMO.

MalenyTiger said:
It makes you wonder idf the flu had gone through the whole group during the week and Lids was just the last one to get over it...

Really hope that is the case.

Because that was as uncompetitive a perfomance as you'd ever want to see. Frawley 2004 uncompetitive :vomit

Chimptastic said:
One thing about our psyche lately:

- We can beat anyone when we're emotionally charged. Yet, we struggle to dispassionately follow the process when there's a lack of meaning/stimulus beyond simply banking the 4 points. The answer is for the leaders to develop our self-talk as 'the boss'.

We've spent 6 years under Dimma learning how to hunt. It's reasonable that we are yet to fully developed the skills necessary of how to correctly think about ourselves as the top dog. It's a totally different mindset and our leaders don't seem to know a good way to approach it (or maybe it hasn't been a conscious issue that requires in-depth discussion)

Case in point: We should have anticipated that Adelaide would try to push and shove early. They're sick of hearing about how we roughed up Hawthorn and its natural for them to want to prove they're tougher than us.

There should have been a directive from every leader on the ground to be the first one to initiate contact, just to send a message to Adelaide and the football world saying yes we are the new unsociable leaders of the competition and no you can't match our physicality.

Where were Cotchin and co's bully tactics his week? Why didn't he feel the need to treat Thompson the same way he treated Hodge? It disappeared because he's never had to cultivate that tough psychology in a team of top dogs at this club. He's only ever had to get everyone up for the hunt. Gerard Murphy will be all over this I'm sure. Learning how to handle that 'being the best' element of leadership has to be the biggest thing we learn this year from a mindset point of view if we want to win a flag next year IMO.
Great post. :clap

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Did Dimma come with the wrong plan? Typecast the Crows as a fast "outside" team, but the game was won at the stoppages. Wonder whether they seized on Hardwick's rather expansive comments yesterday. I certainly haven't seen this Crows side play that way before and sustain it.

According to Fox Footy before the game Crows ranked 3rd in contested possession and we were 4th.

If Dimma didn't know that the game would be played like that then God help us.

Ridley said:
According to Fox Footy before the game Crows ranked 3rd in contested possession and we were 4th.

If Dimma didn't know that the game would be played like that then God help us.

Pretty sure they were also the best clearance team in the comp too.

There gameplan is all around contested ball and they completely smashed us at it tonight.

toby64 said:
Problem is it happens a bit. We have been lucky to get away with it in games against the likes of GWS and Carlton. And often the lack of intensity is a week after a good win. Too flakey these blokes.

Agree - we seem to bring the intensity and effort for the top teams and expect to cruise against the others.

The umpires gave them everything including many 50-50's that should have been play on and missed a few push outs and arm chops we deserved. I heard yesterday that this week we started a hard training phase leading up to the finals so whether it was that or the flu it was something more than just mental. So many looked tired, flat, couldn't chase well enough, couldn't break away, couldn't jump...you name it. Been up for a couple of months, needed this loss. They will bounce back to win the next three.