Game day Mighty Tiges V da Dees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Mighty Tiges V da Dees

Broady coughed up 2 goals in the 3rd that started their run on and ultimately cost us the game. Plenty of other mistakes went unpunished by the Dees but Broady's stood out because they were punished
May have well been the case, but again, with as much time as the ball was in their 50 all night, it was only a matter of "when" rather than "if" ...............Broad over 4 Q's was in everything I thought and was easily in our Best 5 on the night.

Reactions: 6 users
It is disappointing that the secondary hack forwards pop up and win the game each week.
It is a blight on our defence.
Last week it was Himmelberg with four, tonight Weideman.
Missing the calmness and composure of Grimes.

Reactions: 1 users
This is gonna be heresy I know. This mob are the best side I've seen for a long time.
They are very good. It was a 10 goal win everywhere but the scoreboard.

They played a little like we did in our pomp at times.

They are very good. It was a 10 goal win everywhere but the scoreboard.

They played a little like we did in our pomp at times.
Anyone saying they aren't the best team going around at the moment clearly has no idea or is simply a total Dee's Hater, head & shoulder's above the rest right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Being at the game tonight I see things differently from sitting in front of the telly.
Now, I will watch the replay to get the TV with commentary perspective.

First off, Parker who came on as the sub, his one kick went straight to a dees player. Then late in the last qtr jack provided some cover for parker to mark it and he completely stuffed it.
I don’t even want to see him as a sub, he is a VFL standard player period.

Shane Edwards, he has been great for this football club, but touching it 7 times is as bad as it gets. It’s sad to see such a decorated player drop off so quickly. If they want to get him to 300 games, make him a sub. Time to be more ruthless at the selection table.

Dow 7 touches, I do think he has a future but geez he made some real blunders tonight.

Collier Dawkins 9 touches, I was one who was happy to see him in, would like to give him another game but I wasn’t impressed and if he gets dropped so be it. I guess, It will all depend on who many are available to come back in (Grimes, Pickett, Lambert, Dusty). And perhaps some of the boys in the ressies who did ok, Stack 17 disposals, 1 goal, 8 clearances and 4 tackles. Sonsie 25 disposals, and Judson Clarke who had 17 disposals, 5 tackles and 1 goal.

Castagna 7 disposals and 1 behind. He did however provide good pressure with 6 tackles.

Some POSITIVES:
Gibcus
wow what a game, possible rising star for this week.
18 disposals at 89% DE and 12 marks.

Broad played really well on Fritsch but 2 costly errors from him handed Fritsch 2 goals.

Rioli super impressive game, I will say it once again Kossy Pickett is over rated.
Short and Vlustuin also played very good games.

All our defenders including Tarrant did as good as they could with the amount of ball coming in.
Ben Brown 1 goal. Luke Jackson no goals. Weideman 3 (1 goal from a soft free-kick).

On our mids, Prestia, Cotchin, Graham and Nankervis were our best. Not enough midfield depth to help spread the load. Baker tried his heart out with 16 disposals and 1 goal.

Now in the second half, halfway through the 3rd, we were tiring it looked so evident at the ground. It's either our older players just can’t go for 4 qtrs or our fitness staff haven’t got them ALL up to speed to run out games because Melbourne looked like they were still running over the ground late in the last.

The Dees also cluster like 4 players near the boundary line and handball out of trouble similar to what the crows did to us last week.

Dees more so in the last qtr looked towards the centre where they always had 2 players, and we looked to be trailing behind. Some of our players looked spent.

Yes, the dees have 6 wins from teams all outside the 8 but they will challenge again, they have a good system and good foot skills. As the game went on, we did make some bad turnovers which cost us by my count about 4 goals.

I’m still somewhat bullish about this season, there are still 16 games remaining. It’s evident we need all our best players playing (including Dusty, Grimes, Lambert and Pickett) to challenge the top teams.

Reactions: 14 users
I didn't expect us to win this one, but it isn't all glass half empty.

In the first half we had the pressure going. Yes, the Dees were inaccurate in front of goal, but our pressure and forcing them wide explained part of that. They should have been more accurate, and should have won by more, but a fair part of the explanation was our pressure.

The inside 50 count was way in their favour, we simply have to get some more mids/clearance players. Our ability to get clearances is currently woeful.

You could see the difference in the second half. Our pressure dropped, we just can't sustain it for a whole game any more, and it leaves us exposed late in quarters and late in games.

The game is very fast now, but one difference is that the larger players are also fast now. Out big players are not quick. Melbourne are a fast team and their surges forward are very good. Someone posted an excerpt from a game a few years back and watching that I saw a very fast Richmond team surging the ball forward in much the same way Melbourne do now. We can no longer do this, Melbourne have a similar game style to what we had, and why not, it wins flags.

That we managed to not get blown away in the last is a better sign, but we are not competitive against the best teams, that is clear.

Another aspect is getting out of defence. Melbourne set up brilliantly across the middle, they defend the widest part of the ground amazingly well. Everyone knows this and, granted, it is not easy to counter, but kicking out of defence against Melbourne you have to be better than we are. You have to get around their set up in the middle. You certainly can't just dump kick it out as everyone knows it will come straight back.

Dow was a bit down, but he has played very few games so this is to be expected. Injured or not I would give him a week off, the step up to AFL level is a big step.

RCD . . . he was our full forward for a few centre bounces and you have to think that is a bad sign when you are trying to prove yourself as a mid. I have always thought we need to give him a few games and see what he can do. Tonight he looked like a player who is simply not up to AFL standard. I would still give him a game or two more, but if this is his level he has to go at the end of the year.

I understand the angst about Edwards but still think he gets to 300 games on the ground. He has dropped off, not really sure why and still reckon he could find form again. But he has to find some form this year or retire.

Lynch suffers from being molested. It is impossible to mark the ball when your opponent is facing away from where the ball is going and holding/pushing you away from where the contest will be. If he got good delivery and, a very big if, he actually got a fair deal from the maggots, then we might see if he can still be a good player. As it stands, no-one has a chance to play well when they are prevented from contesting marks and the delivery is so bad.

Umpiring was simply putrid. I thought Balta having the ball smothered when kicking for goal, smothered by a player other than the man on the mark, was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. 50m every day of the week. You mark and are kicking at goal you cannot have a player coming in from the side to smother, it is simply against the rules. That decision seemed to knock the stuffing out of our players and they were noticeably less switched on after that. I really am coming to the conclusion that this can't just be gross incompetence. When the opposition consistently get 50/50 frees and we don't get frees when they are really obvious it is simply a farce.

Oh well, we should get a nice reaming from the umps next week - WCE in Perth, halleluliah, wonder if they will even give us 10 frees next week. Still should beat West Coast though, otherwise we really are in strife.

Time to give the premiership heroes a nice send off season and start building for the future. Gibcus will be a big part of that, he is excellent. Dow is fine, still finding his feet at this level. Good prospects from this year's draft haul. We have a future, we just don't have much of a present.

DS

Reactions: 10 users
One talisman and we will be a totally different side: a refreshed superstar in Dusty. Grimes leading and Lambo back. Totally different side and headspace. Stacky looked alright in the twos. Bring him in. Castagna must go. Enough. Parker is no Marlion.

Umpiring was simply putrid. I thought Balta having the ball smothered when kicking for goal, smothered by a player other than the man on the mark, was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. 50m every day of the week. You mark and are kicking at goal you cannot have a player coming in from the side to smother, it is simply against the rules. That decision seemed to knock the stuffing out of our players and they were noticeably less switched on after that. I really am coming to the conclusion that this can't just be gross incompetence. When the opposition consistently get 50/50 frees and we don't get frees when they are really obvious it is simply a farce.

The umpire had called play on

Reactions: 4 users
Being at the game tonight I see things differently from sitting in front of the telly.
Now, I will watch the replay to get the TV with commentary perspective.

First off, Parker who came on as the sub, his one kick went straight to a dees player. Then late in the last qtr jack provided some cover for parker to mark it and he completely stuffed it.
I don’t even want to see him as a sub, he is a VFL standard player period.

Shane Edwards, he has been great for this football club, but touching it 7 times is as bad as it gets. It’s sad to see such a decorated player drop off so quickly. If they want to get him to 300 games, make him a sub. Time to be more ruthless at the selection table.

Dow 7 touches, I do think he has a future but geez he made some real blunders tonight.

Collier Dawkins 9 touches, I was one who was happy to see him in, would like to give him another game but I wasn’t impressed and if he gets dropped so be it. I guess, It will all depend on who many are available to come back in (Grimes, Pickett, Lambert, Dusty). And perhaps some of the boys in the ressies who did ok, Stack 17 disposals, 1 goal, 8 clearances and 4 tackles. Sonsie 25 disposals, and Judson Clarke who had 17 disposals, 5 tackles and 1 goal.

Castagna 7 disposals and 1 behind. He did however provide good pressure with 6 tackles.

Some POSITIVES:
Gibcus
wow what a game, possible rising star for this week.
18 disposals at 89% DE and 12 marks.

Broad played really well on Fritsch but 2 costly errors from him handed Fritsch 2 goals.

Rioli super impressive game, I will say it once again Kossy Pickett is over rated.
Short and Vlustuin also played very good games.

All our defenders including Tarrant did as good as they could with the amount of ball coming in.
Ben Brown 1 goal. Luke Jackson no goals. Weideman 3 (1 goal from a soft free-kick).

On our mids, Prestia, Cotchin, Graham and Nankervis were our best. Not enough midfield depth to help spread the load. Baker tried his heart out with 16 disposals and 1 goal.

Now in the second half, halfway through the 3rd, we were tiring it looked so evident at the ground. It's either our older players just can’t go for 4 qtrs or our fitness staff haven’t got them ALL up to speed to run out games because Melbourne looked like they were still running over the ground late in the last.

The Dees also cluster like 4 players near the boundary line and handball out of trouble similar to what the crows did to us last week.

Dees more so in the last qtr looked towards the centre where they always had 2 players, and we looked to be trailing behind. Some of our players looked spent.

Yes, the dees have 6 wins from teams all outside the 8 but they will challenge again, they have a good system and good foot skills. As the game went on, we did make some bad turnovers which cost us by my count about 4 goals.

I’m still somewhat bullish about this season, there are still 16 games remaining. It’s evident we need all our best players playing (including Dusty, Grimes, Lambert and Pickett) to challenge the top teams.
Good summary. Dow was injured and played only 50% game time. Coach says he is unlikely to play next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Watching Melbourne tonight was like watching us during our peak.
Exactly. Their run and spread was fantastic. We couldn’t get near it. They toyed with us in the third. They are probably better than us at our peak, as their skills are so much better.

Thought the lads battled manfully against the best team going around , sadly the scoreboard gave a false impression of how badly was smashed . Yes I think we have 3 of our most important 5 out , however they are all passed there best anyway , again last night showed we are too old and too young atm, hopefully we can find a few as the year goes on , atleast a few Cubs will get a taste .

im still in the get Tom Green at all costs camp and somehow we need another key forward , no not Balta , he and Gibbo are a potential premiership defence combo

Reactions: 6 users
May have well been the case, but again, with as much time as the ball was in their 50 all night, it was only a matter of "when" rather than "if" ...............Broad over 4 Q's was in everything I thought and was easily in our Best 5 on the night.
The Dees were kicking a lot of points. The ball lived in their fwd line. Once they started kicking straight we were stuffed. The final margin flattered us

One talisman and we will be a totally different side: a refreshed superstar in Dusty. Grimes leading and Lambo back. Totally different side and headspace. Stacky looked alright in the twos. Bring him in. Castagna must go. Enough. Parker is no Marlion.
Lambert's return has been delayed. He and soldo didn't play at all this week.
So dimma either selects Lambert under done or we wait. Anyhow 3 or 4 VFL players put their hand up.
Dusty would be a game changer. The backline is going okay. Grimes back and we look a bit tall. Move Mansell up the ground rather than drop him. Stack for Dow for starters

U can tell that our coaches think pretty much 100% of our problems currently is our midfield,it's the missing pieces in our forward to our defense,dimma even said that Edwards poor game was from his role relying on our midfield.
Most will think cotch was ok,but in reality his opposing mid killed him.
Fix midfield,fix team, it's what I think and it's what our club thinks ,the same guy who's won 3 flags.