Game day Mighty Tiges V da Dees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Mighty Tiges V da Dees

3 talls up forward is not working we don't look dangerous , and not getting enough output offensive and defensive looks very average.Best I have seen it is with Balta and Lynch.

To many battlers in this team now poor skills not clean enough need got iron them out bigtime Dees made us pay.

Yep puzzling how we continue to play our kids out of position and then we as fans want them dropped coaches aren't helping.
They don't look dangerous because they lead to the same space or have the ball just bombed in there.

Unfortunately it starts and ends with midfield clearance and kicking skills.

Reactions: 6 users
2017 in round 6 we played ladder leader and premiership favourites the crows and got our ass handed to us by 76pts. But we went on to beat the crows in the grand final.

2022 round 6 we played ladder leader and premiership favourites Melbourne. Got smashed.
Can we turn it around again?
5 years younger and our stars at their peak. No chance this year.

Reactions: 1 user
2017 in round 6 we played ladder leader and premiership favourites the crows and got our ass handed to us by 76pts. But we went on to beat the crows in the grand final.

2022 round 6 we played ladder leader and premiership favourites Melbourne. Got smashed.
Can we turn it around again?
No

We will need our best team (add grimes, dusty, lambert and stack in form) and Melbourne with an injury to one of Gawn/petracca/Oliver and could be a chance.

It’s never as bad or as good as it looks. Any team that loses its best player and replaces them with (pick your whipping boy) will struggle.

The umpire had called play on

And, therein lies the problem.

Gawn was lurking, close to Balta, even the umpire had told him to get further away.

Balta was lining up for goal, the 30 second shot clock had not counted down to zero, he was going back to take a shot and it is well known he can kick a long way, he did not deviate off his line, he was not turning sideways for a round the corner kick.

So, why the f*ck did the umpire call play on - clearly an absolute howler of a decision. Do other players get called to play on in that circumstance? No.

Melbourne's ball use is unbelievably good. The way they were able to work past our immense pressure was extremely impressive.

Our no 1 challenge right now isn't lack of effort, it's lack of skill.

I think you are largely correct here, but when we applied pressure Melbourne were not so slick. Pressure still works to take the edge off the opposition's skills, but you then need to have a weapon when counter-attacking which we lack. The way we tried to get around their defensive set up was well below what is needed. When you look back at the golden years, yes we just surged forward at times without pinpoint accuracy, but we surged forward in numbers so you always knew that there would be sufficient presence at the ball to continue forward. I see no reason why that sort of overlap running and surging the ball forward would not work now, we simply are not capable of doing it any more. It was a very taxing style of play, very effective, but damned hard to sustain. We sustained it for 4 years which is an amazing effort.

You see something similar with Melbourne. It may have looked a bit farcical when the Melbourne player handballed straight to Lynch who kicked a goal, but one of Melbourne's strengths is the way they know they can handball almost blind out of a pack secure in the knowledge there will be a team mate there. Occasionally it doesn't work but that Lynch goal was the outlier and they will be more than happy to concede a couple of those because they know that, the way they are set up, it will work maybe 80% of the time.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Langdon made a very interesting comment post-game. I’m para phrasing here, but he basically said forget about where Richmond are on the ladder, they are very tough to play against, and then something about playing finals. He looked absolutely knackered Langdon and the expression on his face was that it seemed a lot tougher out there than it looked.

N Jones on tv also kept re-iterating that Richmond were still able to hang tough against the Premiers, didn’t throw it in, and would get better.

Reactions: 7 users
And, therein lies the problem.

Gawn was lurking, close to Balta, even the umpire had told him to get further away.

Balta was lining up for goal, the 30 second shot clock had not counted down to zero, he was going back to take a shot and it is well known he can kick a long way, he did not deviate off his line, he was not turning sideways for a round the corner kick.

So, why the f*ck did the umpire call play on - clearly an absolute howler of a decision. Do other players get called to play on in that circumstance? No.

I think you are largely correct here, but when we applied pressure Melbourne were not so slick. Pressure still works to take the edge off the opposition's skills, but you then need to have a weapon when counter-attacking which we lack. The way we tried to get around their defensive set up was well below what is needed. When you look back at the golden years, yes we just surged forward at times without pinpoint accuracy, but we surged forward in numbers so you always knew that there would be sufficient presence at the ball to continue forward. I see no reason why that sort of overlap running and surging the ball forward would not work now, we simply are not capable of doing it any more. It was a very taxing style of play, very effective, but damned hard to sustain. We sustained it for 4 years which is an amazing effort.
All true DS. It is tiring and that's why these players can't do it anymore. It was also dependent on too much luck in that we 'placed' the ball in a certain spot hoping that one of ours was able to pick it up. Most teams have now worked it all out and the plan is now old and dead. Most never liked it because it showed us as non-skilled team incapable of pin point passing as we see Melbourne do now. We have too many blue-collared skilled players in the team and need to invest in white-collared ones and especially in the midfield. Having Grigg as a 2nd ruck worked and stooged other teams at the time, but can't work anymore. Our club's been eaten out from some players we let go and also assistant coaches. Our forward line is too static and empty. Castagna was only good when Butler played along with him also having Dan Rioli as small forwards. Now I'm not sure what Teague is actually doing for us in attack as assistant coach.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that we would have beaten most teams last night, but Melbourne are running hot atm & would have beaten anyone else on last nights performance.

Jayden Hunt coming out with 'system' and 'Melbourne way'.......same words as ours.

Choco, Richo and Chaplin, along with Greg Stafford all at Melbourne. Richmond sells too much.

Reactions: 1 users
Jayden Hunt coming out with 'system' and 'Melbourne way'.......same words as ours.

Choco, Richo and Chaplin, along with Greg Stafford all at Melbourne. Richmond sells too much.
Yep and I just heard them talking about the ‘Essendon way’ on 3AW. I’m still none the wiser what that is though.

• Haha
Yep and I just heard them talking about the ‘Essendon way’ on 3AW. I’m still none the wiser what that is though.
Makes me laugh Draga. Goodie looks so sure of himself. Master coach and everything. Their supporters getting cockier by the minute sure they'd win last night. Cartoon fans same. Bummers fans now at Cartoon's previous levels accepting a mediocre team. Funny how things/people change.

Wow. You got me there
That's right. Probably because you have got nothing but cheap shot sarcasm. Can't respond to any post with any counter-argument or evidence? Must because you have not a single idea or argument.
But thanks for the laughs.

Langdon made a very interesting comment post-game. I’m para phrasing here, but he basically said forget about where Richmond are on the ladder, they are very tough to play against, and then something about playing finals. He looked absolutely knackered Langdon and the expression on his face was that it seemed a lot tougher out there than it looked.

N Jones on tv also kept re-iterating that Richmond were still able to hang tough against the Premiers, didn’t throw it in, and would get better.
yeah. I didn't think we were too bad. Pressure was there to be seen and goes part of the way to explain their poor kicking for goal. Match-ups worked for the most part and we had a plan. Got a bit over-run in the 3rd Q and there's the difference.
Take away Oliver, Petracca and Gawn... and...
Even Petracca was very quiet first half. Jackson didn't do a lot.