Game day Mighty Tiges V da Dees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Mighty Tiges V da Dees

Lambert's return has been delayed. He and soldo didn't play at all this week.
So dimma either selects Lambert under done or we wait. Anyhow 3 or 4 VFL players put their hand up.
Dusty would be a game changer. The backline is going okay. Grimes back and we look a bit tall. Move Mansell up the ground rather than drop him. Stack for Dow for starters
The 5 day break meant Lambert could not play ,so he can play Friday.

Reactions: 2 users
Exactly. Their run and spread was fantastic. We couldn’t get near it. They toyed with us in the third. They are probably better than us at our peak, as their skills are so much better.
We would beat them at our peak as our ball movement was perfection with pressure.

Reactions: 1 users
Reasoning behind that thought ?

Thought he played very well again today by the way and I have seen nothing in his game that suggests to me the Captaincy is affecting it at all.
Fell off my chair when they announced him the captain.
And his first 6 games have been dropped material.
There was Grimes and noone else

Score line flattered us no doubt… it’s pretty obvious though that Melbourne are far and away that far in front of the competition it’s actually frightening. In saying that - it’s a long season.. history tells us that making it to the final dance is the biggest hurdle for dominant teams (hello 2018).

There is opportunity there… there is no clear challengers at this stage. I’m not saying we can /are going to win the flag etc but I think if we can get a good run and some luck with injuries…Grimes, Lambert, Dusty and maybe Stack and Sonsie into that side we can win our fair share of games… hopefully time a good run second half of the season and who knows.

We have been in most games this season until a certain point… this with the majority seemingly out of form and little input from our ageing stars for a variety of reasons. Our best player and best defender/captain have been in the stands most of the season.

We are on the decline no doubt and perhaps we don’t rediscover our form…and I probably have some blind faith… but It’s a long season….I will reserve judgement for now.. but next week is simply a must win for season 2022.

Reactions: 5 users
5 F50 frees to our 1. Anyone remember how many goals they got from frees? Not saying it affected the result, just asking.

KMac was fine over the years as our game plan consisted of moving the ball forward by any means be it ugly or precise. That dont work anymore.

I don’t disagree, but I think you are doing KMac a bit of a disservice. His disposal is ropey and wasn’t exposed under chaos ball for sure.

But his primary role has always been to gut run and fill space allowing us to force the turn over. And he is very very good at it.

Dimma switched to accountability mode against the Demons, trying to ensure that we had even numbers across the lines and that the Demons forwards and backs were matched up and held accountable individually.

This is a very different game style to what we have been playing and i suspect it is a one off.

But beyond that, I think other teams have been specifically targeting our wingers to make them more accountable. Pickett has thrived in a more conventional role, whereas KMac is struggling with it.

KMac needs time to develop in to the role. No probs if that is through the VFL. But he deserves that chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought the lads battled manfully against the best team going around , sadly the scoreboard gave a false impression of how badly was smashed . Yes I think we have 3 of our most important 5 out , however they are all passed there best anyway , again last night showed we are too old and too young atm, hopefully we can find a few as the year goes on , atleast a few Cubs will get a taste .

im still in the get Tom Green at all costs camp and somehow we need another key forward , no not Balta , he and Gibbo are a potential premiership defence combo
JR is probably out at the end of the year. Leaving Lynch alone. I'd rather keep balta fwd mainly this year. Work out how to best use Balta. He was denied a goal last night. We need KPFs. I did like JR in the ruck. Even Lynch did more rucking. Maybe develop Miller in the VFL as a KPF. Tarrant, gibcus, Broad, Grimes is tall enough. I didn't think we needed Tarrant but now he's here they won't be dropping him.

3 talls up forward is not working we don't look dangerous , and not getting enough output offensive and defensive looks very average.Best I have seen it is with Balta and Lynch.

To many battlers in this team now poor skills not clean enough need got iron them out bigtime Dees made us pay.

Yep puzzling how we continue to play our kids out of position and then we as fans want them dropped coaches aren't helping.

Melbourne‘s work rate stood out. The very definition of midfield spread. Lightening handball skills. Oliver is elite, might be the best hand baller I’ve ever seen. He’s better than Diesel Williams. Our backs tried, our forwards got poor supply. All because our midfield got smashed. It’s no secret what we lack. And the only way to build it is via the draft.

Reactions: 4 users
Melbourne's ball use is unbelievably good. The way they were able to work past our immense pressure was extremely impressive.

Our no 1 challenge right now isn't lack of effort, it's lack of skill.

Reactions: 8 users
Got killed in the 3Q in the midfield.
But 42 inside 50’s to their 64 is a big difference.

Melbourne‘s work rate stood out. The very definition of midfield spread. Lightening handball skills. Oliver is elite, might be the best hand baller I’ve ever seen. He’s better than Diesel Williams. Our backs tried, our forwards got poor supply. All because our midfield got smashed. It’s no secret what we lack. And the only way to build it is via the draft.
Well said scoop, completely agree,
It's like we have a really good car with nice interior,nice looking outside ,but it's got bike wheels to get around in .

It seems like our game plan was not to lose the game , as a result we never tried to win.

Melbourne's ball use is unbelievably good. The way they were able to work past our immense pressure was extremely impressive.

Our no 1 challenge right now isn't lack of effort, it's lack of skill.
Where back to 1992 skill quality but what do you really expect when your most skilled plater only gets 2 possessions and Flappers and Parker are relied on to hit a target.
Our skills levels were covered due to our pressure game, now there's pressure on us disposing the ball we miss handballs (can't believe the amount of AFL players that struggle to handball) and our kicking is shocking.

Channel 7 said the crowd was 70k.
The southern stand and Olympic top decks looked empty
Are they fudging the numbers??

We need to face facts now. We are no longer a good team. We are an average team at best. Our premiership champions are well past their best footy and are looking very old. Our young players are either nowhere near the level yet or not up to it full stop. I guess that happens when you don’t have access to the top reaches of the draft.

Melbourne destroyed us in the second half. The scoreboard flattered us big time. Oliver beat us on his own; great player. He’s exactly what we need; a bloke who wins a ton of the ball and uses it well. We have a lot of gaps but midfield is the biggest. We need to go to the draft and build our future mid field for the next 10 years. No bloody flankers. Genuine mids who win their own ball and can use it as well. Hopefully we can attract a free agent as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Another thing i noticed is that a lot of our players reverted to the old move it forward at any cost mantra which served us so well by blindly hitting the ball fwd at critical times when they could easily have taken possession. This was fine when we had players streaming fwd but now it almost always ends up in a turnover.

Almost like we are in 2 minds everytime we get the ball these days

We need to face facts now. We are no longer a good team. We are an average team at best. Our premiership champions are well past their best footy and are looking very old. Our young players are either nowhere near the level yet or not up to it full stop. I guess that happens when you don’t have access to the top reaches of the draft.

Melbourne destroyed us in the second half. The scoreboard flattered us big time. Oliver beat us on his own; great player. He’s exactly what we need; a bloke who wins a ton of the ball and uses it well. We have a lot of gaps but midfield is the biggest. We need to go to the draft and build our future mid field for the next 10 years. No bloody flankers. Genuine mids who win their own ball and can use it as well. Hopefully we can attract a free agent as well.
You’re right. We are now a poor team, but I still wonder why every team seems to have an off game when kicking for goal playing us? We didn’t deserve to win last might, but give us a bit of credit for pushing them.

2017 in round 6 we played ladder leader and premiership favourites the crows and got our ass handed to us by 76pts. But we went on to beat the crows in the grand final.

2022 round 6 we played ladder leader and premiership favourites Melbourne. Got smashed.
Can we turn it around again?

Reactions: 3 users