Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

taraba said:
Of course he's welcome to question the whole thing but there was no need for him to plast himself all over the media commenting on another clubs affairs. If he has a problem he could have discussed it with the AFL and other clubs. He's just a germ IMO.

To be fair here, and I hate finding myself trying to defend McChins, but a few clubs have made comments to the media. Essendon, Carlton & Geelong are others I know of. They didn't get the limelight because they aren't Eddie. The man attracts the media. It's not really his fault they make his comments front page news and the other clubs get the last paragraph of the same story.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
How about a new PRE banner:

PUNT ROAD END
                                                   THE VOICE OF THE TIGER ARMY
                                           with a moral obligation to get stuck into Eddie and Scumwood

It certainly works for me CM. ;D

tigertrue said:
Did you lead the charge against Adam Ramanauskas ?

Where or how are The RFC looking for compensation for anything ? You're on mushrooms.

First point- Rama was a different situation.  

Second point-Compensated by being given special consideration considering Polly doesn't qualify for our rookie situation and being allowed to have an extra pick as in this quote from Terry Wallace
"We could have tried to get compensation from the AFL.

Third point- Are you capable of debating a point intelligently without having to resort to personal insults?

taraba said:
Of course he's welcome to question the whole thing but there was no need for him to plast himself all over the media commenting on another clubs affairs. If he has a problem he could have discussed it with the AFL and other clubs. He's just a germ IMO.

How about when he went all righteous over the Jay Schulz situation a couple of years back. Funny how he doesn't go on the same warpath when his own club's been involved in drink driving and stuff over and over again.

That's a great call. :clap

rosy23 said:
I just don't get it. That's pretty much true isn't it? It would be different if Polly was at risk of not having a spot if we didn't get permission to rookie him but that's not the case. He's a contracted player. Can anyone see any actual benefit to Polly if the request is granted, especially bearing in mind Terry's comments from a few weeks ago as to why we wanted him on the main list.

Rosy, I would argue that we are not using the situation to benefit ourselves but rather keep on a level playing field with the other clubs by having a full list.

Who we would use any draft choices on is a different argument.

Sorry Rosy, but you said yourself you didn't know what was being refered to - no need to be rude!

For those confused about the thread topic:

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire questioned the timing of the move, less than a week before the December 16 draft, and suggested the club was using Polak's situation to make a late bid for fallen champion Ben Cousins.

"Maybe I am getting old and cynical, [but] I will want some answers about why this wasn't done before the [national] draft (on November 29) so everyone knew what was going on. There are a lot of question marks," McGuire told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Wednesday evening.

"We have had a long time to think about Ben Cousins and any player with an ongoing injury. These things should have been discussed before the national draft.

"We just have to remember the Adam Ramanauskas case was a one-off. It wasn't a precedent. It was in totally different circumstances."

(source afl website)

What is the difference between one non-football related life & career threatening injury and another ?

Eddie's answer seems to be Richmond. :hihi

Baloo said:
To be fair here, and I hate finding myself trying to defend McChins, but a few clubs have made comments to the media. Essendon, Carlton & Geelong are others I know of. They didn't get the limelight because they aren't Eddie. The man attracts the media. It's not really his fault they make his comments front page news and the other clubs get the last paragraph of the same story.

Eddie did come onto a radio station to voice his views because he wanted to sound off. I don't know for a fact, someone correct me if I'm wrong please, but I don't believe the others did. They responsed to newspaper journalists. A little different.

I'm not suprised though that a club or two have lined us up though, we sure left ourself vulnerable doing it this way. Still can't understand it.

Rosy is right, if the roles were reversed we would be baying for Collingwood's blood and accusing the AFL of favouring them if they agreed.

I have no problem with clubs having a issue with this, I don't see the need for Eddie to get his ego involved however. He carries on like he is the spokesman of all the clubs and all that is truth, justice and the colliwobble way sometimes. His starting to sound off a lot lately without knowing the whole facts (Didak issue as well), it's going to be enjoyable watching him make a fool of himself if he keeps it up.

The ace up our sleeve would be a new medical report (since the ND) that outlines that any gametime for Polak in 09 is highly unlikely. This would get us over the line.

McGuire can pull Cousins into this all he likes, but it's none of his business who we take with our 2nd PSD pick if the AFL commission thinks our argument on Polak is watertight.

Have we done our homework??

of course we are trying to benefit our club by putting polak on the other list,it`s a competiton for christ sake.
mcguire would be doing the same thing and he`d be entitled to do it,i don`t think many people here would complain if collingwood did it,i certainly wouldn`t.
like the bloke from essendon said,it`s the right and decent thing to do.
mcguire is a *smile*,only that narcisistic,hypocritical pig would begrudge a club putting a player with an acquired brain injury on the rookie list.
good to see other clubs like essendon and carlton have shown some respect and dignity by supporting it.

joffa in a suit can eat *smile* and die.

RoyceHart said:
Rosy, I would argue that we are not using the situation to benefit ourselves but rather keep on a level playing field with the other clubs by having a full list

Other clubs have long term injured players.

IanG said:
Sorry I still don't see how what McGuire said is so bad.

Because he is Eddie McGuire

If he said that he loved helping little old ladies cross the road, I would still call him a tosser
Cause that's what he is

tigertrue said:
Here's something to b!tch about re: Collingwood - if that's yer cuppa ...

Magpies aim for u18 team in Sydney

Personally I say good luck to 'em.
Yeah! He's not bad Mc Chins. Whinges about us trying to run a late fudge to get Polly onto the rookie list but he want's to be the first and probably only AFL club to have their own exclusive under 18 squad.
I bet he'll want it to be exempt from GC17 or the new Sydney teams drafting concessions. Probably try and get some super promising under fifteens or sixteens to move up to Sydney to further their education and continue their development of course.

hopper said:
The ace up our sleeve would be a new medical report (since the ND) that outlines that any gametime for Polak in 09 is highly unlikely. This would get us over the line.

McGuire can pull Cousins into this all he likes, but it's none of his business who we take with our 2nd PSD pick if the AFL commission thinks our argument on Polak is watertight.

Have we done our homework??

This is exactly what I was thinking and hoping. Good call John Hopoate.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Eddie makes some very good points.
We,ve had 2 months to apply too have Polak put on the Rookie list.
It does effect the draft.
If clubs Knew that we had 2 choices in the PSD they had the chance to act accordingly.Delist an extra player or not use pick 65+ in the ND on a kid they were keen to Rookie.
The 7th pick does have huge ramifications.

2 months ago the RFC didn't no how polac would be traveling at this stage and had to give polak every opertunite which was the right thing to do . This is about the person polak not cousins.

I used to have a fair bit of respect for McChins. I thought his passion and drive were admirable qualities and wished he'd grown up a Richmond supporter. But that's all gone out the window following his handling of the Didak business a few months ago. That piece of sh!t Didak looked McChins in the eye and blatantly lied to him. McChins went on to make a goose of himself in public. When the truth eventually came out, McChins was nowhere to be seen. Even worse, he spent the next phase defending the scumbag with the obvious view to keeping him at the club. To me it is clear as day that McChins is nothing more than a better concected and wealthier Joffa!! Nothing more. Have you heard of the boy who cried wolf, Eddie? Look in the mirror. :p