Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

Eddie was out of line in what he said about the club. What he said my have been true that it is close to the draft but It was Polly's decision. I think he should be more compansionate about the isssue. All Eddie does is whinge about what other clubs do.

ILuvLids said:
Eddie was out of line in what he said about the club. What he said my have been true that it is close to the draft but It was Polly's decision.

Can you elaborate a bit or post a link please Lids? I don't know what Eddie said that has everyone up in arms and I don't know what was Polly's decision.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Eddie makes some very good points.
We,ve had 2 months to apply too have Polak put on the Rookie list.
It does effect the draft.
If clubs Knew that we had 2 choices in the PSD they had the chance to act accordingly.Delist an extra player or not use pick 65+ in the ND on a kid they were keen to Rookie.
The 7th pick does have huge ramifications.

Can't see how Richmond having two picks in the PSD, which is always mostly devoid of talent, would have huge ramifications on other clubs.

rosy23 said:
Can you elaborate a bit or post a link please Lids? I don't know what Eddie said that has everyone up in arms and I don't know what was Polly's decision.

Rosie, I heard and saw Eddies comments on TV. It was very conceited. He basically insinuated that the Tigers were using Polak's condition to benefit themselves and not the right thing to do. He only slightly back-pedalled at the end when he must have thought about what he'd just said. I'm sure he was put on the spot but its answers that come out when you're on the spot that can often show your true character.

This is typical McGuire Collingwood wank. They couldn't get Cousins, so they don't want anyone else to have him. A lot of Collingwood supporters wanted Cousins, but for whatever reason McGuire made the decision not to get the guy and now he runs the risk of Richmond making him look stupid.....sorry stupider. He should be pleased that at least this time it's not the Collingwood players doing it. When did the Pies last get a big name player that they were after? For years they've said that Richmond will never win a premiership as long as Richo is playing for us, maybe we should turn that comment on them by saying that they'll never win a premiership as long as McGuire is the president.

GoodOne said:
He basically insinuated that the Tigers were using Polak's condition to benefit themselves.

I just don't get it. That's pretty much true isn't it? It would be different if Polly was at risk of not having a spot if we didn't get permission to rookie him but that's not the case. He's a contracted player. Can anyone see any actual benefit to Polly if the request is granted, especially bearing in mind Terry's comments from a few weeks ago as to why we wanted him on the main list.

rosy23 said:
It would be different if Polly was at risk of not having a spot if we didn't get permission to rookie him but that's not the case.

Is that confirmed Rosy ? I haven't seen any statement from the club since this latest application categorically denying they wouldn't delist Polly if they can rookie him. (then again there has been no official Cousins statement but that doesn't seem to matter much).

The way I am reading it, despite lack of clarity from the club, is that Polak has been re-assessed after training for a few months and the prognosis is not good for him. Now a very very slim chance of ever playing again so as a result the RFC need to manage that situation.

What's best for RFC here ? To get another play on the list to replace Polly.

What's best for Polak ? To keep him somewhere on the list, be it LTIL or Rookie list, to give him something to keep striving for despite the likelihood he'll never get there.

What's best for everyone ? Get the RFC another spot on the list while giving Polak some hope by keeping him as a rookie.

If that's not possible, do the RFC delist him and pay out his contract so that the RFC can look after it's best interests, or do we keep him on the LTIL, forfeit a place on the list and promote a rookie ?

Tough call really. While I hope at the end of the day the RFC do what's best for Polak, I wouldn't begrudge them if they chose to do what's right for the future of the team.

rosy23 said:
I just don't get it. That's pretty much true isn't it? It would be different if Polly was at risk of not having a spot if we didn't get permission to rookie him but that's not the case. He's a contracted player. Can anyone see any actual benefit to Polly if the request is granted, especially bearing in mind Terry's comments from a few weeks ago as to why we wanted him on the main list.
The only benefit to Polly would be that he doesn't feel any pressure or responsibility for us being one short on the list. It may just be enough to allow him to try and find his feet and see how or what level he can get to without feeling like a list clogger.
It's only a small consideration, plus it may give us an opportunity of fudge the system a bit.

if you listen to the radio
3 things that everyone is talking about
Richmond and cosuins
Collingwood and the $8million loss
John Daily cracking the sh....t in sydney at the golf and smashing a spectators camera, and throwing it agaisnt a tree

eddie is peeved off because richmond is the talk of the town for all the right reasons , and collingwood for all the wrong

rosy23 said:

Polly told the club to rookie list him. That is my understanding. I basically hate Eddie and he should be more worried about Collingwood instead of attacking Richmond.

Kahuna said:
Eddie should be more worried about the Pies $8M loss than the Tiges drafting Cousins.

Nah...the official Collingwood line is thanks to the excess of profits/cash in reserve the club has since EDDIE has been president, they are able to absorb these losses.

:rofl :rofl

Makes sense to me, you loose millions of dollars, but that can be replaced by your savings. No problem. ::)

Baloo said:
Is that confirmed Rosy ?

Yep I reckon we made it clear Polly was staying on the list next season. There have been comments from various representitives from the club to that effect. One example below.

"Graham will stay on the list. We just need to give him enough time to recover and find out to what level he can get to and I don't think anyone at the moment can give us that definitive answer. So we are going to give him every chance he can to play again," Richmond's new general manager of football, Craig Cameron, said yesterday.

ILuvLids said:
Polly told the club to rookie list him. That is my understanding. I basically hate Eddie and he should be more worried about Collingwood instead of attacking Richmond.

OK thanks Lids. :)

I don't think it's really a players' place to tell the club that, especially when special permission would be needed to create a situation where he'd qualify. I'm sure most here would be dead against it if Collingwood were the ones looking to be compensated in that manner. I know I'd be leading the charge.

I agree about Eddie generally, I just not sure what he's done wrong in this instance.

rosy23 said:
As a Richmond supporter I'm happy to get stuck into Eddie and Collingwood, in fact as a Richmond supporter I have a moral obligation to do so, it's a veritable right of passage,...

How about a new PRE banner:

PUNT ROAD END
THE VOICE OF THE TIGER ARMY
with a moral obligation to get stuck into Eddie and Scumwood

rosy23 said:
I'm sure most here would be dead against it if Collingwood were the ones looking to be compensated in that manner. I know I'd be leading the charge.

Did you lead the charge against Adam Ramanauskas ?

Where or how are The RFC looking for compensation for anything ? You're on mushrooms.

Of course he's welcome to question the whole thing but there was no need for him to plast himself all over the media commenting on another clubs affairs. If he has a problem he could have discussed it with the AFL and other clubs. He's just a germ IMO.

How about when he went all righteous over the Jay Schulz situation a couple of years back. Funny how he doesn't go on the same warpath when his own club's been involved in drink driving and stuff over and over again.

taraba said:
Of course he's welcome to question the whole thing but there was no need for him to plast himself all over the media commenting on another clubs affairs. If he has a problem he could have discussed it with the AFL and other clubs. He's just a germ IMO.

How about when he went all righteous over the Jay Schulz situation a couple of years back. Funny how he doesn't go on the same warpath when his own club's been involved in drink driving and stuff over and over again.

great call - smokescreen