Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

onya Eddie
Anyone who can run channel 9 into the ground, looses millions at the pies, spend heaps on the footy department and achieves mediocrity on the ground has the perfect qualities to be LIFE PRESIDENT at the pies.
Noone should be criticising Eddie.
I hope he stays there for ever.
onya Eddie

billyb#40 said:
onya Eddie
Anyone who can run channel 9 into the ground, looses millions at the pies, spend heaps on the footy department and achieves mediocrity on the ground has the perfect qualities to be LIFE PRESIDENT at the pies.
Noone should be criticising Eddie.
I hope he stays there for ever.
onya Eddie
:)

lica_mick,0.jpg

You got to give Polak every chance to see if he can play football. Improvement may have come during the early part, but there was always a chance that this improvement would be slowed. anyway, if we did this before the draft we would have got pick 86 and the chances of us passing would be high, which meant that we would have two picks in the PSD which gives us the same result. By putting Polak on Rookie list we at least give him the chance of palying football rather than on the long term injury list. If we do that we would be playing one short.

The last thing we need is to make Polak feel guilty by taking up a spot on the senior list. This would have a different affect on him, and may hinder any progress he has made.

go polo said:
You got to give Polak every chance to see if he can play football. Improvement may have come during the early part, but there was always a chance that this improvement would be slowed. anyway, if we did this before the draft we would have got pick 86 and the chances of us passing would be high, which meant that we would have two picks in the PSD which gives us the same result. By putting Polak on Rookie list we at least give him the chance of palying football rather than on the long term injury list. If we do that we would be playing one short.

The last thing we need is to make Polak feel guilty by taking up a spot on the senior list. This would have a different affect on him, and may hinder any progress he has made.

This is the main point.Do you really think Polak will play football again ??? It's head traumay. RFC are looking after there own I've heard there are still not good signs for Polak But they can't deflait his confedince.
Eddie should look in to facts before he opens his trap like other clubs.

Here's Eddie's latest ramblings. Check out how he's distorting the facts:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24797429-19771,00.html

The errors Eddie makes are these:

Richmond are not seeking to have Polak put on the long term injury list, but the rookie list. Stop changing the facts to suit your selfish means.

This situation is NO DIFFERENT to the Adam Ramanauskas case.

The chances of Ramanauskas making a full recovery from cancer and playing again were small to the point that due diligence would have seen him de-listed.

By applying to the AFL on compassionate grounds, Essendon were able to maintain Ramanauskas on their list as a rookie and therefore not be competing one man short. This special consideration by the AFL showed compassion to an employee at the lowest point in their life. Essendon as an employer is morally richer for their actions. Something I think Eddie struggles with judging from what I’ve read about his treatment of employees contracts when he entered channel 9.

Richmond are in the same position with Polak. His chances of making a full recovery and contributing to a level that makes it worthwhile keeping him on the main list are extremely minimal. Richmond want to keep him on the list (as did Essendon with Ramanauskas), to keep his spirits up and give him something to aim for. To do this without competing a player short, the only real option is to seek permission to list him as a rookie.

This is very different to say a knee reconstruction where players are put on the long term injury list. The chances of these players making a full recovery are massively high and therefore their position on the senior list is not in jeopardy ie Kayne Pettifer.

No wonder Eddie is about the most hated person involved with an AFL club. In all his time reporting on the game, and involved with it, he's learned nothing about sportsmanship.

Funny how a Scumwood prez is speaking for what Essendon would've complained about considering Rama?

I think it's time we saw an Adolf v Eddie showdown.

How weak is he, makes an argument in his media article without the equal chance of reply, while serving his own interests and influencing the AFL and puplic. Poor form, but nothing new from this little man.

I don't really want BC at RFC, but if it keeps this small minded man up at night, it will be worth the cost.

Speedy recovery Polak, well handled RFC so far. I love it when other clubs whinge about our buisness.

One thing for everyone talking about the LTIL like its a realistic option.

Do a knee, you can come back. Do two knees, you can probably still come back. Do three knees, and while the odds are against you, you still have a shot of coming back.

Rama had cancer. We all forget, at the time none of us expected him to ever play AFL again. We hoped he survived, and we hoped he may play a little VFL if he could manage it. AFL however was the pipedream, which was why it was so incredible that he made it back.

Now we look at Polak. If he is a cert or a highly probable to play again in 09/10, I would definitely say the LTIL is the place for him. Personally I doubt it though. Odds are against him. This brings us back to the same place the Dons were, delist or find a way to keep him that minimizes list impact (i.e. rookie list).

We don't want to see this done every year, but if it can be done for players who have had something tragic occur to them, AND having them remain at the club adds something to it (as Rama did and by all reports Polak has), I'm all for it.

BTW, if Millaine survived his car wreck and it had happened today, what's the bet Eddie would want to rookie his butt for the rehab period?

Eddie Maguire is a keen student of VFL/AFL history.

He understands the history of the Richmond Football Club better than most. He understands that this is one Genie that you want to keep securely trapped in its bottle.

The history of our club is that it has had two (and only two) successful periods. The first was from 1919 to 1943 and many of us remember the second fondly, from 1967-1882. This represents a mere 40 seasons in a 100-year history.

The first period of success yielded 5 premierships and 9 second placings, the second gave us 5 more flags and we were twice more runners-up.

Eddie is afraid. This is one sucker that you definitely do not want to give a break to. Let it out and all hell will break loose.

It looks like old Shady Sheeds has not only let the genie out but he has also shoved the cork straight up Eddie's clacker.

frickenel said:
Here's Eddie's latest ramblings. Check out how he's distorting the facts:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24797429-19771,00.html

The errors Eddie makes are these:

Richmond are not seeking to have Polak put on the long term injury list, but the rookie list. Stop changing the facts to suit your selfish means.

This situation is NO DIFFERENT to the Adam Ramanauskas case.

The chances of Ramanauskas making a full recovery from cancer and playing again were small to the point that due diligence would have seen him de-listed.

By applying to the AFL on compassionate grounds, Essendon were able to maintain Ramanauskas on their list as a rookie and therefore not be competing one man short. This special consideration by the AFL showed compassion to an employee at the lowest point in their life. Essendon as an employer is morally richer for their actions. Something I think Eddie struggles with judging from what I’ve read about his treatment of employees contracts when he entered channel 9.

Richmond are in the same position with Polak. His chances of making a full recovery and contributing to a level that makes it worthwhile keeping him on the main list are extremely minimal. Richmond want to keep him on the list (as did Essendon with Ramanauskas), to keep his spirits up and give him something to aim for. To do this without competing a player short, the only real option is to seek permission to list him as a rookie.

This is very different to say a knee reconstruction where players are put on the long term injury list. The chances of these players making a full recovery are massively high and therefore their position on the senior list is not in jeopardy ie Kayne Pettifer.

No wonder Eddie is about the most hated person involved with an AFL club. In all his time reporting on the game, and involved with it, he's learned nothing about sportsmanship.

The hypocrisy of the man stands out agan. He says that the draft is being compromised because the Tigers can pick up two senior players in the PSD. He says the Tigers should instead place Polak on the long-term injury list an elavate a rookie. I say what's the difference? We are going to pick up at least one youngster anyway. Whether that youngster is a PSD pick or a rookie, does it really make that much of a difference, especially considering we could have picked up that youngtser at 70 in the National Draft anyway?

Eddie digging himself a bigger hole and looking even more stupid. For the majority its a minor thing whether Polak is allowed on the rookie list. For Eddie there seems to be as some say a desire to score points in some way. Making something out of nothing.

This is just pure jealousy from Fat Eddie.

I wonder if he would've boasted all this garbage had it been an average AFL player in Cousins' shoes and not Cousins himself.

i don`t hear him complaining about the annual compromising of the fixture,which benefits his club more than every other.

"our business plan is based on playing 18 games in melbourne,not selling games to the gold coast like carlton and richmond,i don`t worry about that,that`s their business "

he doesn`t worry about it but writes it in his article. :hihi

and in that article about cheryl critchley and the cheer squad thing,he tried to deflect criticism of the ridiculous cheer squad fee that is hundreds of dollars compared to our $20,by saying the collingwood 11 game membership was "significantly" cheaper than richmond`s.
he didn`t show the "significant" amount though,so i will,it`s a whole $4.
ours is $174,the pies $170. :rofl

he`s such a narcisisst.

it`s fanatastic though seeing him angry, the pig.
won`t it be great if we get to put polak on the rookie list and cousins is BOG when we play collingwood and beat them,the look on his face will be priceless.

mopsy fraser said:
i don`t hear him complaining about the annual compromising of the fixture,which benefits his club more than every other.

"our business plan is based on playing 18 games in melbourne,not selling games to the gold coast like carlton and richmond,i don`t worry about that,that`s their business "

he doesn`t worry about it but writes it in his article. :hihi

and in that article about cheryl critchley and the cheer squad thing,he tried to deflect criticism of the ridiculous cheer squad fee that is hundreds of dollars compared to our $20,by saying the collingwood 11 game membership was "significantly" cheaper than richmond`s.
he didn`t show the "significant" amount though,so i will,it`s a whole $4.
ours is $174,the pies $170. :rofl

he`s such a narcisisst.

it`s fanatastic though seeing him angry, the pig.
won`t it be great if we get to put polak on the rookie list and cousins is BOG when we play collingwood and beat them,the look on his face will be priceless.

Isn't it lovely in this particular article that you refer to, that the club president is so conveniently moving himself sideways away from the collapsing state of Collingwood's financial affairs!

"It ain't my fault"!!

"It's a coincidence that the same financial state hit channel 9 when i took over"!

More dribble from the captain of dribble, 'Captain Dribbly D!ck", Eddie McGuire himself!

I have to ask one question after reading Steady Eddies' article in the Hun today.

Why is it that any club president/official or player who comes out and criticises the ALF is slapped on the wrist immediately and hit with a fine. How is Eddies attempts to use his media position to influence the AFL's decision any different. He has basically accused the AFL of prejudicing the draft if they allow Richmonds application.

Hell even Jeff Kennet reckons its fair and reasonable to put Polak on the Rookie list given all the circumstances. The timing of it all would largely seem irrelevant as we would have had to apply to the AFL to have him rookie listed even if we had done it months ago, so what is the issue. If we do infact take Cousins, no club could say they have been disadvantaged. Everyone has had ample opportunity to take him.

Eddie says we should elevate a rookie rather than be given and extra pick, but technically we don't have any rookies do we or have we lodged notice that sylvester be retained. But hardly practical to elevate a rookie when we haven't had the opportunity to pick all our rookies. And even if we did that wouldn't it still leave us one rookie short on day one.

Eddie talks about compromising the system, but is happy to take all the draw advantages and blockbuster games handed to him by the AFL. Funny, but I find that a little hypocritical given that many would rightly argue that Collingwood and the AFL compromise the draw in favour of Collingwood.

I still don't see a lot of difference between the Rama/Polak situation. Both were acts of god for want of a better term. Polaks injury was not the result of being creamed by a CHF as Eddie alluded to in his article as setting his situation apart from that of Rama.

As someone said your use by date has expired Eddie. No one is listening anymore.

Geez leysy hopes we get this Polak/Cousins thing over the line.

It's gunna be so beautiful listening to him whinge.

Leysy Days said:
Geez leysy hopes we get this Polak/Cousins thing over the line.

It's gunna be so beautiful listening to him whinge.

:hihi

I tend to agree with you Leyseeee!

gustiger12 said:
I have to ask one question after reading Steady Eddies' article in the Hun today.

Why is it that any club president/official or player who comes out and criticises the ALF is slapped on the wrist immediately and hit with a fine. How is Eddies attempts to use his media position to influence the AFL's decision any different. He has basically accused the AFL of prejudicing the draft if they allow Richmonds application.

Hell even Jeff Kennet reckons its fair and reasonable to put Polak on the Rookie list given all the circumstances. The timing of it all would largely seem irrelevant as we would have had to apply to the AFL to have him rookie listed even if we had done it months ago, so what is the issue. If we do infact take Cousins, no club could say they have been disadvantaged. Everyone has had ample opportunity to take him.

Eddie says we should elevate a rookie rather than be given and extra pick, but technically we don't have any rookies do we or have we lodged notice that sylvester be retained. But hardly practical to elevate a rookie when we haven't had the opportunity to pick all our rookies. And even if we did that wouldn't it still leave us one rookie short on day one.

Eddie talks about compromising the system, but is happy to take all the draw advantages and blockbuster games handed to him by the AFL. Funny, but I find that a little hypocritical given that many would rightly argue that Collingwood and the AFL compromise the draw in favour of Collingwood.

I still don't see a lot of difference between the Rama/Polak situation. Both were acts of god for want of a better term. Polaks injury was not the result of being creamed by a CHF as Eddie alluded to in his article as setting his situation apart from that of Rama.

As someone said your use by date has expired Eddie. No one is listening anymore.

My thoughts exactly ... spot on Gus. Well written

gustiger12 said:

Well said. I'm having similar thoughts! What the club has done is not hurting anybody and Eddie needs to grow up it seems that he hates it when the spotlight is on collingwood and then whinges about what other clubs are doing!