Don,t Fly the Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Don,t Fly the Flag

Ltrtr so your theory is if we stayed white and nominally christian we wouldn't get invaded?

This is an interesting perspective. I am going to have to think it through. Do you have any historical examples?

Massive Tiger said:
Ltrtr so your theory is if we stayed white and nominally christian we wouldn't get invaded?

This is an interesting perspective. I am going to have to think it through. Do you have any historical examples?

I didn't read LTRTR's post as anything remotely to what you've assumed it to be.

Cultures need to be accepting and embracing of each other's culture. What is happening in the name of PC is cultures are able to strike out another cultures traditions. The ANZAC Day think, and replacing Christmas with Happy Holidays are two such examples where these initiatives are just causing more distrust.

Baloo said:
I didn't read LTRTR's post as anything remotely to what you've assumed it to be.

Cultures need to be accepting and embracing of each other's culture. What is happening in the name of PC is cultures are able to strike out another cultures traditions. The ANZAC Day think, and replacing Christmas with Happy Holidays are two such examples where these initiatives are just causing more distrust.

Exactly what I was getting at. Australia seems intent on killing off its own identity in favour of a generic mess.

Baloo said:

Aside from the weird invasion bit, I don't think there is anything wrong with what was being said. However, is there any evidence that there are people so offended about ANZAC day commemoration that they are trying to have it stopped? It is a bit of a strawman, imo.

Seems to me that the report doesn't support the conclusions, that the Herald Sun is doing a bit of trolling, and that people are taking the bait.

mld said:
Aside from the weird invasion bit, I don't think there is anything wrong with what was being said. However, is there any evidence that there are people so offended about ANZAC day commemoration that they are trying to have it stopped? It is a bit of a strawman, imo.

Seems to me that the report doesn't support the conclusions, that the Herald Sun is doing a bit of trolling, and that people are taking the bait.

You'd hope that the HS has focused on some relatively minor points in the report and presented a distorted picture. But with Gillard saying, ""I completely disagree with all the conclusions of that report", this doesn't appear to be the case.

OK, so what LTRTR means is that by letting in other cultures who don't assimilate and at the same time being taken over by American culture, and by pandering to the wishes of minority groups, we are losing what we think it means to be Australian, thus weakening our country to the extent that one day we won't be able to resist invasion? What a sentence!

Is that a fair summation?

Massive Tiger said:
OK, so what LTRTR means is that by letting in other cultures who don't assimilate and at the same time being taken over by American culture, and by pandering to the wishes of minority groups, we are losing what we think it means to be Australian, thus weakening our country to the extent that one day we won't be able to resist invasion? What a sentence!

Is that a fair summation?

Where did LTRTR mention or imply anything about "letting cultures in".

Alright, it was the bit about multiculturalism which confused me. I took that to meaning continuing immigration of people from other countries who brought with them their cultures and therefore diluted or fragmented Australian culture, whatever that is.

Massive Tiger said:

How did you come up with that theory in regard to being christian from L2's comments?

Massive Tiger said:
Alright, it was the bit about multiculturalism which confused me. I took that to meaning continuing immigration of people from other countries who brought with them their cultures and therefore diluted or fragmented Australian culture, whatever that is.

In a sense, the Australian ethos was once defined by tragic figures like Burke & Wills, Ned Kelly, Gallipoli & Phar Lap. They displayed a spirit of boldness and adventure in the face of overwhelming odds. "Lest we forget" summed up our feelings. We were a little irreverent and not afraid to call a spade, a spade.

I don't think other cultures are powerful enough to destroy that. Australia is dismantling itself from the inside.

To the Harry Connicks of the world - *smile* off!