Don,t Fly the Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Don,t Fly the Flag

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
In a sense, the Australian ethos was once defined by tragic figures like Burke & Wills, Ned Kelly, Gallipoli & Phar Lap. They displayed a spirit of boldness and adventure in the face of overwhelming odds. "Lest we forget" summed up our feelings. We were a little irreverent and not afraid to call a spade, a spade.

I don't think other cultures are powerful enough to destroy that. Australia is dismantling itself from the inside.

To the Harry Connicks of the world - *smile* off!

Agree.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not from murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
America had Dillinger. England had Robin Hood. Personally, never really bought into the Kelly-as-hero thing.

Me neither. It's all myth building. Plus, Burke was Irish, Wills was a Pom, Pharlap was a kiwi and I don't think robin hood actually existed in the form we see in the story books.

Massive Tiger said:
Me neither. It's all myth building. Plus, Burke was Irish, Wills was a Pom, Pharlap was a kiwi and I don't think robin hood actually existed in the form we see in the story books.

Russell Crowe, AC/DC, Andrew Symonds, So You Think...we're still claiming them as ours today. Remember "our Hana" Mandlikova & Kepler Wessels? Probably an inferiority complex at play.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Russell Crowe, AC/DC, Andrew Symonds, So You Think...we're still claiming them as ours today. Remember "our Hana" Mandlikova & Kepler Wessels? Probably an inferiority complex at play.

You forgot Aussie Joe Bugner.

ONJ, Mel Gibson, Bee Gees. Even Nancy Wake, who was very famous in military circles and decorated by four countries other than Australia, wasn't born here.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
ONJ, Mel Gibson, Bee Gees. Even Nancy Wake, who was very famous in military circles and decorated by four countries other than Australia, wasn't born here.

Might be quicker to post a list of world famous Australians that were actually born in Australia.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
In a sense, the Australian ethos was once defined by tragic figures like Burke & Wills, Ned Kelly, Gallipoli & Phar Lap. They displayed a spirit of boldness and adventure in the face of overwhelming odds. "Lest we forget" summed up our feelings. We were a little irreverent and not afraid to call a spade, a spade.

I don't think other cultures are powerful enough to destroy that. Australia is dismantling itself from the inside.

To the Harry Connicks of the world - *smile* off!

geez, selectively romantic view of Australia wouldn’t you say LTRTRGOAL!. Don’t forget the bit about the white Australian policy, the atrocious treatment of blacks, wogs, greasers, slanties and the unlike, the boorish male chauvinistic ‘bring us another beer Rita’ mind set, the *smile* bashings, the unbelievable drunk driving back slapping stories, Frank Ifield, etc etc

What you call ‘dismantling itself from the inside’ might be just growing pains.

By the way, what’s Harry Connick (juniors?) crime ?

I think Harry disgraced himself by being offended by a 'blackface' sketch on 'Hey Hey.'

Either that or it's because of what he did to Sigourney Weaver in 'Copy Cat.'

Massive Tiger said:
I think Harry disgraced himself by being offended by a 'blackface' sketch on 'Hey Hey.'

Either that or it's because of what he did to Sigourney Weaver in 'Copy Cat.'

… a disparaging word, well, guess the old aussie calling a spade a spade doesn’t apply to foreigners then.
But if he dared to lay so much of one of his jazz playing southern fingers on Sigourney Weaver in Copy Cat then, revoke that man's visa, forever……..