Don,t Fly the Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Don,t Fly the Flag

You mean the three Indian and one Lebanese medical students that wore blackface?

glantone said:
the boorish male chauvinistic ‘bring us another beer Rita’ mind set, the *smile* bashings, the unbelievable drunk driving back slapping stories, Frank Ifield, etc etc

Yes we were unique in our mysoginy - so unique in fact that we were the second country in the world to unconditionally give women the vote. How are some non-western countries going with their treatment of women & gays right now in 2012 by the way?

Unbelievable drunk driving back slapping stories? Oh no national shame...we should bring in a law or something ..oh wait we did..among the first and the toughest in the world no less...

Joe Lynn Turnip said:
Yes we were unique in our mysoginy - so unique in fact that we were the second country in the world to unconditionally give women the vote.

Who was the first Joe - New Zealand perhaps?

Yes the Kiwis beat us to it. South Australia was before that but it was only extended to women who owned property.

Baloo said:
Crowded House are ours though.

Geez hasn't this Trans-Tasman debate on 'Aussie' music been going around in circles for years. ;D

Dragon, Sharon O'Neill, Split Enz, Crowded House.....the list goes on...

everybody should be flying the only flag matters today. the tiger flag.
hopefully we should be all be flying them tomorrow too.

Brodders17 said:
everybody should be flying the only flag matters today. the tiger flag.
hopefully we should be all be flying them tomorrow too.

Mate, I've never seen you this nervous that you resort to claw-like lowercase posting. I think you need a sit down.

Joe Lynn Turnip said:
You mean the three Indian and one Lebanese medical students that wore blackface?

Yes we were unique in our mysoginy - so unique in fact that we were the second country in the world to unconditionally give women the vote. How are some non-western countries going with their treatment of women & gays right now in 2012 by the way?

Unbelievable drunk driving back slapping stories? Oh no national shame...we should bring in a law or something ..oh wait we did..among the first and the toughest in the world no less...

... I know this is the Race, Politics & Religion section but god I hate Carlton......hate them....hate their guts!

... anyway, um, thanks for the ethnic profiling Joe. I’ll pass the word on if you can explain its significance.

But why the level of emotion? What is it exactly about Harry Connick’s actions that warrant him and people like him to *smile off* as LTRTR-GOAL! and perhaps you would have it? He was standing up – a lone individual without any visible support against the entire studio audience, against the tide, and as he saw it ‘calling a spade a spade’. Whether you agree or disagree with his view he was none the less expressing the very quality LTRTR-GOAL! laments as a great australian quality now lost to the past. He should have held his tongue rather than rock the boat on national tv, is that it?

Australian women got to vote years ago while women in other countries are still being treated appallingly - true - but again what’s your point?.... is it that Australian women should consider themselves lucky? If not what’s with the comparison?

Lots of countries still treat gays poorly - but again what’s that got to do with the price of fish in Australia? Are you implying gays here should be grateful for the bashings and general homophobic hysteria of the past because look what’s happening to gays elsewhere in the world? Geez, joe, you remind me of my mum – “finish yesterday's veggies, glantone, people are starving in Africa yer know."

I’d be surprised if our indigenous cousins, migrants, women, gays and drunk driving victims lament about aussie society in the good old days, when a you could call an abo and abo, an Iti a wog, women knew their place and a man could go out and get a skin full and roll the car and still call it a bloody good weekend.

The fact that we now have tough road laws, gay rights, better women’s rights and are generally a more tolerant and respectful society shows we are maturing as a nation. What’s the problem with that? Reckon Australia is a better country now than in the past.

Guess we agree on Frank Ifield. :)

glantone said:
What is it exactly about Harry Connick’s actions that warrant him and people like him to *smile off* as LTRTR-GOAL! and perhaps you would have it? He was standing up – a lone individual without any visible support against the entire studio audience, against the tide, and as he saw it ‘calling a spade a spade’. Whether you agree or disagree with his view he was none the less expressing the very quality LTRTR-GOAL! laments as a great australian quality now lost to the past. He should have held his tongue rather than rock the boat on national tv, is that it?

And didn't Daryl Somers cringe and grovel (as is his custom in the presence of overseas celebrities)? It was pathetic. Connick should've been told that we don't find it offensive in our country and that he was imposing his own cultural bias on a harmless skit.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Connick should've been told that we don't find it offensive in our country and that he was imposing his own cultural bias on a harmless skit.

What about the furore when Sam Newman impersonated Nicky Winmar?

rosy23 said:
What about the furore when Sam Newman impersonated Nicky Winmar?

Had to look that one up, rarely watch the FS. Winmar went AWOL and Newman did an impersonation? Don't see the drama. Kennett supported Newman.

One that I do remember was the Radike Samo thing.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-union/tri-nations/samo-defends-fans-blackface-tribute-20110829-1jgwa.html

No way known I will ever support this country becoming a republic while we suffer from this cultural cringe.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Don't see the drama.

There was a big kerfuffle at the time. From memory there were calls for Sam to be sacked and he had to apologise. I've got no time for Sam Newman but I think the reaction to him that time was way over the top. It was like people were saying there was something wrong with being black. Quite strange since Nicky proudly showed off his skin colour.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
No way known I will ever support this country becoming a republic while we suffer from this cultural cringe.

One of the worst instances was the KFC ad that got pulled because the yanks got offended when a bunch of west indian supporters were offered kfc by aussie supporters. The international blogs were full of people complaining about how racist the ads were.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
And didn't Daryl Somers cringe and grovel (as is his custom in the presence of overseas celebrities)? It was pathetic. Connick should've been told that we don't find it offensive in our country and that he was imposing his own cultural bias on a harmless skit.

All Connick did was for self-promotion especially nowadays with global technology. It's easy to gain/revive fame.

He should've realised that he wasn't seeing this on an American show and that he should be a lot more critical on their hypocrisy with Robert Downey Jr doing the exact same thing on the 2008 film Tropic Thunder.

rosy23 said:
There was a big kerfuffle at the time. From memory there were calls for Sam to be sacked and he had to apologise. I've got no time for Sam Newman but I think the reaction to him that time was way over the top. It was like people were saying there was something wrong with being black. Quite strange since Nicky proudly showed off his skin colour.

Apparently it's fine for others to highlight their differences, but middle Australia mustn't do it.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Apparently it's fine for others to highlight their differences, but middle Australia mustn't do it.

It's a shame that some people, like Newman, can't see why these sorts of things are insensitive and wrong. If he wants to be like that why doesn't he hang around with his idiot mates and do it in private. The fact that he is on national tv makes it worse by a 1000 times.

winnar is a completely different case. he was being taunted endlessly by *smile* people and he raised his jumper to show his pride and his heritage. To compare this with idiots making cheap jokes is to completely misunderstand the situation.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

A misinformed/ ignorant post.

The old Herald had 2 headlines ready to go for Pharlap's Melbourne Cup Race.

Aussie Champion wins Cup

and

NZ horse fails to win

or words to that effect.

Giardiasis said:
Imagine if Travis Cloke kicked a goal, lifted his shirt up and pointed to his chest.

Now why would Clokey want to do that?

All this post says is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

In regard to your claim of an ignorant/misinformed post ts can you clarify why you think that way?