Don,t Fly the Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Don,t Fly the Flag

not bad at all. 100% on the one we have. I support a conservative approach like this, keep the southern cross, just replace the pommie flag with something.

I also like Azzas suggestion of a latin motto summing up the national psyche 8- but rosy censored it.

Tigers of Old said:
8-

I don't mind this one.

http://newaustralianflag.squarespace.com

don't mind it, but simple is better. a gold southern cross on a green background, or a green and gold eureka flag.

Reckon this one is pretty good myself 8-

Australian%20Flag%20-%20Image_tcm16-47870.jpg

Tigers of Old said:
8-

I don't mind this one.

http://newaustralianflag.squarespace.com

I like the Advance Australia Reconciliation Ensign on that site better .

Why blue and gold? Red white and blue or green and gold, ok. But combining the blue and the gold seems pointless.

Brodders17 said:
agree.
when our head of state is english it is only right that her flag has pride of place on ours.

Could debate you there as some people believe the Governor-General (who is Australian) is our head of state.

But either way, the English did settle here and help make Australia what it is today and I have no problem or shame celebrating our history or the fact that this is recognised on our flag.

Its disappointing others want to try and cross our history from the record books because it doesn't suit their own personal whims :-\

Azza said:
I like the Advance Australia Reconciliation Ensign on that site better .

Why blue and gold? Red white and blue or green and gold, ok. But combining the blue and the gold seems pointless.

Take your point. I like the green and gold version myself (these are the colours I think of when I think of Australia) but I do like the overall design.

Hopefully we grow up one day as a country and assume our own identity, whatever form it takes.

I'm surprised there are flogs without a purple rinse that want to stay part of the British Empire with Prince Charles as our future head of state.

I can only assume they subscribe to New Idea.

Baloo said:
I'm surprised there are flogs without a purple rinse that want to stay part of the British Empire with Prince Charles as our future head of state.

I can only assume they subscribe to New Idea.

And collect commemorative teaspoons. Dirty spoon collectors.

Tigers of Old said:
Take your point. I like the green and gold version myself (these are the colours I think of when I think of Australia) but I do like the overall design.

Hopefully we grow up one day as a country and assume our own identity, whatever form it takes.

Yeah, I'd be quite happy with that design, probably the first I've been able to say that about. All the state ensigns look good too.

Liverpool said:
Could debate you there as some people believe the Governor-General (who is Australian) is our head of state.

some people also think 9/11 was perpetrated by the US Gov.
fact is an English woman, the Queen, is the Australian Head of State, and the next Australian Head of State will be Charlie, unless he decides not be.

Australia’s formal name is the Commonwealth of Australia. The form of government used in Australia is a constitutional monarchy – ‘constitutional’ because the powers and procedures of the Australian Government are defined by a written constitution, and ‘monarchy’ because Australia’s head of state is Queen Elizabeth II.
http://australia.gov.au/about-australia/our-government

why would you want to debate it anyway? isnt having an English person as our Head of State something to be proud of?

Brodders17 said:
fact is an English woman, the Queen, is the Australian Head of State, and the next Australian Head of State will be Charlie, unless he decides not be.

Australia’s formal name is the Commonwealth of Australia. The form of government used in Australia is a constitutional monarchy – ‘constitutional’ because the powers and procedures of the Australian Government are defined by a written constitution, and ‘monarchy’ because Australia’s head of state is Queen Elizabeth II.

why would you want to debate it anyway? isnt having an English person as our Head of State something to be proud of?

I'm not too fussed either way, but it does stick in my craw to see our current future head of state, Prince William, supporting the English rugby team when they're playing Australia.

Not thati really care what our flag looks like as nationalism is not really my thing, but if we do decide to change it, please, no green and firiggen gold, It is the most hideous combination of colours known to man.

evo said:
Not thati really care what our flag looks like as nationalism is not really my thing, but if we do decide to change it, please, no green and firiggen gold, It is the most hideous combination of colours known to man.

Every single word of this.

Azza said:
I'm not too fussed either way, but it does stick in my craw to see our current future head of state, Prince William, supporting the English rugby team when they're playing Australia.

yep. that was 10 years ago now and still sticks in my mind.

i'm not a pom basher... my parents are english and i am a dual passport holder. and by all means, we should be proud of our heritage... but our national flag should be about australia, and australia only.

evo said:

like it or not, its considered by virtually all to be our national colours. just because some people don't think they combine well shouldn't be the reason why it shouldn't be on the our national flag

Ian4 said:
like it or not, its considered by virtually all to be our national colours. just because some people don't think they combine well shouldn't be the reason why it shouldn't be on the our national flag
we have other national colours avaialable to chose from that have been used to represent us in the past- red white and blue, blue and white, blue and gold, red yellow and black ( as in the aboriginal flag) etc. It is not set in stone.

I don't see why aethestics shouldn't be an important consideration when designing our next flag. We are gonna be stuck with it probably for the next 100 years, why not make it look good?

Someything like the Cnadian or Japanese flag is a good model. Minimalist, tasteful and effective.

Brodders17 said:

There are a few laws that mention the Head of State as being the Governor General....just saying.
Its been a debate that has been going on for years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_head_of_state_dispute

I personally have no problem the Queen being our head of state...i was purely bringing it to your attention that is has been a debate over the years and still people argue about it.