Don,t Fly the Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Don,t Fly the Flag

Liverpool said:
I bet you all were happy to take the Queens Birthday off work....pack of hypocrites...off with your heads!

been saying for years that queens birthday and melbourne cup day should be dumped. australia became a nation on 1/1/1901. but because Jan 1 is already a public holiday, i believe the first ever sitting of australian parliament should replace the queens birthday... which is may 9. melbourne cup day should be replaced by show day... but moved to the friday before the AFL grand final, instead of the thursday it used to occupy.

Ian4 said:
been saying for years that queens birthday and melbourne cup day should be dumped. australia became a nation on 1/1/1901. but because Jan 1 is already a public holiday, i believe the first ever sitting of australian parliament should replace the queens birthday... which is may 9. melbourne cup day should be replaced by show day... but moved to the friday before the AFL grand final, instead of the thursday it used to occupy.

Silliest public holiday in the world...just for a horse race. Even considering regional Victorians don't get it.

Ian4 said:
TOO, is it me or is australia (and perhaps NZ to a lesser extent) the odd one out of those list of courntries? excluding the UK as they are the 'mother' country, all of those countries listed are minor countries on a world stage compared to australia. and a lot of them might still have a heavy reliance on the mother country - at least compared to australia anyway

Yes I would say we are the odd one out.

Ian4 said:
the original referendum should have been a simple yes or no answer to 'do you want australia to become a republic?' and if yes won (which i believe it would have), then we could have had a debate and a second referendum on the proposed models.

Agree.

When the time comes, whatever flag design they come up with my only prerequisite is that it includes the Southern Cross in the image.

It is an icon that nods to our past ;) and yet unites everyone in this country who falls under it. Strong image that must be retained.

8558493870a04fc50c34a66f4dd27421_resized.jpg

hows this for a new flag?

hey it worked, thanks Rosy.

Ian4 said:
8558493870a04fc50c34a66f4dd27421_resized.jpg

hows this for a new flag?

hey it worked, thanks Rosy.

Saw that one online. Don't think much of it tbh. If green & gold are bad, they're worse in combo with blue.

I wonder if most people who consider themselves pro-republic have actually read Plato's Republic. It doesn't strike me as very liberal model. I wish they taught it in high school somehow, it's a great read.

I wouldn't mind if we became a republic but it'll be interesting to see the model they come up with. Who would design it?

evo said:
I wouldn't mind if we became a republic but it'll be interesting to see the model they come up with. Who would design it?

Who should design it ? Scholars and experts in this field I guess.

Who will design it ? The facton with the greatest funds to spam the media waves to get their model deemed themost popular.

I think we should change as little as possible.

Change the GG's title to President. Make him the Head of State and don't change anything else. Say Thanks and Bye to Queen Lizzy. All done.

I can't find a picture, but the backdrop behind Keating at his concession speech in 1996 I really liked. Just a royal blue curtain with AUSTRALIA on it.

evo said:
I wonder if most people who consider themselves pro-republic have actually read Plato's Republic. It doesn't strike me as very liberal model. I wish they taught it in high school somehow, it's a great read.

The problem with the pro-republic supporters is they can't even agree on a model and this "debate" has been going on for decades.
There is no unity between them, no agreeance on a model that can be put forward to the public to vote on, no one flag design for the public to choose between.
They are more anti-monarchy than pro-republic...this thread a perfect example of the ramshackle ideas and hodgepodge flag designs thrown together and then expecting the public to choose between a republic and a monarchy. :cutelaugh
They're having a laugh!

The monarchists have a flag and a system. Its the one you live under now. Its what has helped this country become the so-called "lucky country". Its what has provided you with the security and freedoms you all enjoy today.

Over to you republicans.... 8-

TigerForce said:
What about:

aboriginal_corner.png

I don't like it. We're a multicultural country and I'm not keen on our flag associating with any particular race. I love the southern cross. For tradition I'd like to keep the white SC on a blue background and maybe add a red border all around. More a simple modernisation of the flag so many went to war under rather than a completely new design. Don't know how to make one up to see what it would look like though.

rosy23 said:
I don't like it. We're a multicultural country and I'm not keen on our flag associating with any particular race. I love the southern cross. For tradition I'd like to keep the white SC on a blue background and maybe add a red border all around. More a simple modernisation of the flag so many went to war under rather than a completely new design. Don't know how to make one up to see what it would look like though.

Why not? The Aboriginals were here before us. What's multiculturalism got to do with it? All foreigners are known as Aussies now.

Democracy is all about people not agreeing. Frankly I'd be more worried if there was no debate around a proposed model.

Baloo said:
Who should design it ? Scholars and experts in this field I guess.

Who will design it ? The facton with the greatest funds to spam the media waves to get their model deemed themost popular.
Intellectual snob that I am, I'd definitely want to see political science academics design it but I fear that you will prove correct and it will be some pressure group.

I thought the last effort was pretty half arsed. I voted for the republican but on reflection think I was a bit politically naive at the time. After studying quite a lot of political systems I don't don't think our current system is that bad all things considered.

I think we should change as little as possible.

Interesting. I think most people probably feel that way.

I'm thinking in the other direction. If there are minimal changes then I'll probably vote for the status quo. I mean why bother?On the other hand if it is a fairly radical new model that looks like it has improvements, then I'll vote for it.

Seems to me "we should grow up and severe our ties from aunty Lizzy" isn't a good enough reason to change it in and of itself. It needs to be better than the old system.

Liverpool said:
They are more anti-monarchy than pro-republic...

I think your are right about that, generally speaking. i certainly was like that.

evo said:
Seems to me "we should grow up and severe our ties from aunty Lizzy" isn't a good enough reason to change it in and of itself. It needs to be better than the old system.

Teenage rebellion is always a great reason for doing something.