Don,t Fly the Flag | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Don,t Fly the Flag

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
What was Connick's objection to the Hey Hey skit? That it portrays black people as "musical"?

"They're very musical people, aren't they?"
- Randolph Duke, Trading Places

Loved that movie. Jamie Lee Curtis :eek:

I'd need essay to explain my views on the HC case. A different case, different context, different intent, different cultures. In the US blackface is highly offensive, blackface entertainment was big back when racism was perfectly acceptable and portrayed black people as dumb and happy.

tigersnake said:
I'd need essay to explain my views on the HC case. A different case, different context, different intent, different cultures. In the US blackface is highly offensive, blackface entertainment was big back when racism was perfectly acceptable and portrayed black people as dumb and happy.

So we're all expected to know and understand the nuances of all the world's cultures so that nobody, anywhere takes offence?

rosy23 said:
What would you think if Winmar's opponent raised his own jumper and showed off his white skin?

As I posted earlier, why would any white player ever do that? Winmar and Gilbert has been copping unbeleivably extreme racist chants and abuse all day, remember how close the crowd were to the play at the Brewery end of Vic Park? I saw it myself there when we played Collingwood with Mitch in the side (he played well). Its obvious to me that Nicky was saying 'yes I am black you bastards, but I'm as good as anyone'.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
So we're all expected to know and understand the nuances of all the world's cultures so that nobody, anywhere takes offence?

did I say that?

I've offended the *smile* out of people in other countries. Once I've realised what has happened, I've made an effort to find out why, then apologise, and learn from it. I don't get defensive and shitty at them for being offended.

tigersnake said:
did I say that?

It was implied. Should we be at the beck and call of any minority which find things offensive, perpetually modifying our behaviour until Australia becomes merely a bland reflection of the rest of the world?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It was implied. Should we be at the beck and call of any minority which find things offensive?

Ahhh. Implied. It wasn't my intention, it was your defensiveness. Defensiveness is crap, I hate it. Open up.

tigersnake said:
As I posted earlier, why would any white player ever do that?

I've seen aboriginal people treat non-aboriginals the way you say Nicky was treated. You almost risked your life at a game against Rumbalara footy club. There would be a furore if someone showed their white torso to let the culprits know they're proud of it. I wouldn't imagine they'd want to do it but no doubt it wouldn't be as accepted.

tigersnake said:
Ahhh. Implied. It wasn't my intention, it was your defensiveness. Defensiveness is crap, I hate it. Open up.

Couldn't that apply to Sam's skit in relation to being described as racist?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It was implied. Should we be at the beck and call of any minority which find things offensive, perpetually modifying our behaviour until Australia becomes merely a bland reflection of the rest of the world?

Thats a long bow.

tigersnake said:
Thats a long bow.

You don't believe Australia has a less identifiable and more generic culture than in the past? One more concerned with the appearance of reality than reality itself?

You only have to look at the newspaper headlines and the push for drug decriminalisation. Drug use is all about creating an alternate reality.

rosy23 said:
I've seen aboriginal people treat non-aboriginals the way you say Nicky was treated. You almost risked your life at a game against Rumbalara footy club. There would be a furore if someone showed their white torso to let the culprits know they're proud of it. I wouldn't imagine they'd want to do it but no doubt it wouldn't be as accepted.

Interesting post. A reply would take an hour. A lot going on here. In a very small nutshell, its about power.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You don't believe Australia has a less identifiable and more generic culture than in the past? One more concerned with the appearance of reality than reality itself?

Again, need half a day to reply to this. Yes and no. To say its down to pandering to minorities, or as I'd prefer to say it, being nice to minorities, is wrong though. Do we want to go back to the good old days when we could call a woman a mole and a black a coon? I'd put it more down to globalism and corporatism.

tigersnake said:
Again, need half a day to reply to this. Yes and no. To say its down to pandering to minorities, or as I'd prefer to say it, being nice to minorities, is wrong though. Do we want to go back to the good old days when we could call a woman a mole and a black a coon? I'd put it more down to globalism and corporatism.

Complex issue, good answer.

Pandering to minorities makes me laugh. I don't think any of us would willingly want to be part of a minority with the intention of improving our lives.

Massive Tiger said:
Pandering to minorities makes me laugh. I don't think any of us would willingly want to be part of a minority with the intention of improving our lives.

In many cases, it is not the minority that is craving the pandering.

I remember a few years back that Sea World were looking at changing the name of 'fairy penguins' to 'little penguins' as it "might offend the gay community".

Of course, people jumped up and down about pandering to minority groups and gays hijacking the word 'fairy', etc.....however various gay groups openly criticised this move by Sea World as being ridiculous and that they were not offended at all by the name of the penguin.

Such examples as this lead people to attack minority groups when it is not their wish to be associated with decisions made by imbeciles, who attempt to take a moral high ground, and try to think on behalf of minority groups who are not asking for their help to begin with as their "help" usually leads to more attacks or insults and further discrimination against them.