Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

I'll have a go:

WA:

Simon Katich
Justin Langer
Mike Hussey
Damien Martyn
Kim Hughes
Tom Moody
Rod Marsh
Dennis Lillee
Stuart MacGill
Terry Alderman
Bruce Reid

Edited to include the blokes Leysy reminded me of, and to replace Gilchrist with Marsh and Yardley with MacGill because I've decided it's State of Origin.

Katich has to be in this team, being a Tigers man and all.

I'd be very tempted to have Ian Brayshaw for Tom Moody. Moody was, after all, actually a croweater.

And if we were playing in England, I reckon I'd squeeze in Bob Massie and drop Lillee........

Just joking

Graham McKenzie, Bruce Laird and Barry Shepherd stiff.

Reactions: 1 user
Says a lot about the state of the game when the majority of posts here are about “best of” lists while there is a test match on. It’s what we usually do to pass the time during the footy off season :(

Last edited:
Danny Buckingham and Richard Soule stiff

Fun fact - As a young 19 y.o Leysy played in a Premier cricket first grade premiership with Danny.

Outstanding talent and champion guy. Over 4,700 first class runs for Tassie at better than 37 does that.

Allan Border told him if he could get fit he'd play Test cricket under him.

But alas when everyone knows you by the nickname "Burger" fitness was never your focus. His thursday night training involved having 20 throw downs in the nets then hitting the bar ha!

Also state selectors never saw eye to eye with him. Scored 100 not out in his last match at 29 y.o at the WACA against Reid, Julian, Angel and Moody.

And was never picked again.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Poor old Tassie. Can we find 11 decent native-born?

Dene Hills
Jamie Cox
David Boon
Ricky Ponting
Michael Di Venuto
Matthew Wade
James Faulkner
Laurie Nash (a Victorian, but we'll give him to them)
P. Chucker
B.H.O.F. Bothends
L. Days

Depends on your criteria. Bailey and Doherty played 150 ODI's between them. If that is taken into account they make it.

Poor old Tassie. Can we find 11 decent native-born?

Dene Hills
Jamie Cox
David Boon
Ricky Ponting
Michael Di Venuto
Matthew Wade
James Faulkner
Laurie Nash (a Victorian, but we'll give him to them)
P. Chucker
B.H.O.F. Bothends
L. Days

But for the fun of it. This would be it for Leysy:

Michael Di Venuto
Jamie Cox
David Boon
Ricky Ponting
George Bailey
Matthew Wade
Shaun Young
James Faulkner
Luke Butterworth
Xavier Doherty
Ben Hilfenhaus

BTW is there a more unheralded state cricketer in the past couple of decades than Luke Butterworth.

One of the few that has a better batting than bowling average:

2,762 runs at 27.89
223 wickets at 24.68

Huge big game performer as well. Was always massive in the multiple shield final victories he played in. Including MOTM in the final in his 5th first class match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I suppose cricket finished today.....

Colina days to go for the 1st bounce.....or....uhm...tip-off :rolleyes:.....

Fun fact - As a young 19 y.o Leysy played in a Premier cricket first grade premiership with Danny.

Outstanding talent and champion guy. Over 4,700 first class runs for Tassie at better than 37 does that.

Allan Border told him if he could get fit he'd play Test cricket under him.

But alas when everyone knows you by the nickname "Burger" fitness was never your focus. His thursday night training involved having 20 throw downs in the nets then hitting the bar ha!

Also state selectors never saw eye to eye with him. Scored 100 not out in his last match at 29 y.o at the WACA against Reid, Julian, Angel and Moody.

And was never picked again.

1705630344492.png

He hasn't changed!

• Haha

Michael Di Venuto
Jamie Cox
David Boon
Ricky Ponting
George Bailey
Matthew Wade
Shaun Young
James Faulkner
Luke Butterworth
Xavier Doherty
Ben Hilfenhaus

BTW is there a more unheralded state cricketer in the past couple of decades than Luke Butterworth.

2,762 runs at 27.89
223 wickets at 24.68

Huge big game performer as well. Was always massive in the multiple shield final victories he played in. Including MOTM in the final in his 5th first class match.
Forgot about Hilfy and Butters

I always liked Roger Woolley, a very handy bat and a good keeper, would've played more test cricket if it wasn't for Iron Gloves being first choice.

Michael Di Venuto
Jamie Cox
David Boon
Ricky Ponting
George Bailey
Matthew Wade
Shaun Young
James Faulkner
Luke Butterworth
Xavier Doherty
Ben Hilfenhaus

2,762 runs at 27.89
223 wickets at 24.68

Has Wade had a better Tassie career than Tim Paine given that Wade played a lot of cricket for Victoria?

Im a big fan of cricket, especially Test cricket don’t mind T20 cricket, but feel that there are too many forms of cricket, such as ODI and T10. I.m sad to see what’s been happening in South Africa, where Test cricket has really died. The recent series against India was disappointing, with only a few people showing up to watch. Not even mentioned on SA news . It’s alsobeen put behind a biggest hight level paywall by DSTV, which is unfortunate because most people can’t afford the premium subscription. As a result, only T20 cricket is getting crowds at the moment, such as SA20 (and Zim 10 in Zimbabwe) , which is like the Big Bash. However, there is some news coverage and interest for these events but this is also behind a paywall, so it’s difficult to watch. It’s sad that cricket is not as accessible as other sports in Sothern Africa . Rugby World Cup, local rugby ,Soccer World Cup, Africa Cup of Nations, lots of local soccer and EPL are all free to air, but cricket is not. I hope that cricket will become more accessible in the future in this part of the world ............ BTW there is no AFL TV coverage in Southern Africa .

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Im a big fan of cricket, especially Test cricket don’t mind T20 cricket, but feel that there are too many forms of cricket, such as ODI and T10. I.m sad to see what’s been happening in South Africa, where Test cricket has really died. The recent series against India was disappointing, with only a few people showing up to watch. Not even mentioned on SA news . It’s alsobeen put behind a biggest hight level paywall by DSTV, which is unfortunate because most people can’t afford the premium subscription. As a result, only T20 cricket is getting crowds at the moment, such as SA20 (and Zim 10 in Zimbabwe) , which is like the Big Bash. However, there is some news coverage and interest for these events but this is also behind a paywall, so it’s difficult to watch. It’s sad that cricket is not as accessible as other sports in Sothern Africa . Rugby World Cup, local rugby ,Soccer World Cup, Africa Cup of Nations, lots of local soccer and EPL are all free to air, but cricket is not. I hope that cricket will become more accessible in the future in this part of the world ............ BTW there is no AFL TV coverage in Southern Africa .
A sad state of affairs Dj, I too love cricket. This Saudi ATL isn't going help either.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Katich has to be in this team, being a Tigers man and all.

I'd be very tempted to have Ian Brayshaw for Tom Moody. Moody was, after all, actually a croweater.

And if we were playing in England, I reckon I'd squeeze in Bob Massie and drop Lillee........

Just joking

Graham McKenzie, Bruce Laird and Barry Shepherd stiff.
Mike Valetta, Bruce Yardley,,, and Graeme Wood would be stiff if they are WA born.

Storing representation from the WACA over the decades.

Lol :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20240122_215316_Facebook.jpg
I'm sure some people remember that Daicos 13 goal performance up on the Gold Coast. I'll always remember that did boundary ripper on Gastev :eyes

Pretty stoked for Jake Fraser-McGurk getting the call up to replace Maxwell. Been watching this kid with interest since arriving in SA to play for the redbacks.

He needs a bit of work with facing spin but his technique is pretty exciting to watch. Hoping he doesn't end up like McDermott.

England have thrown out the anchor and put Baz ball on hold. After being 1-55 off 11 overs, they've reverted to type and are now 7-184 off 54:p

• Haha
Interesting that England have gone in with just the one quick, I wonder what made them think that India would prepare a raging turner.

Golf >