Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

He has a better bat.
Agree.

Inglis replaced Carey in the ODI side for the same reason that Gilly replaced Heals.

I just had a look at Gilly and Inglis strike rate in ODI's and T20's. Gilly striked at 97 in ODI's and 141.5 in T20's. Inglis goes at 94 and 158.

I'm not saying that Inglis will be as good as Gilly, but by jingoes, he goes alright.

Reactions: 1 users
MAXI: I STILL WANT TO PLAY TEST CRICKET

Ed Bourke
Australian star Glenn Maxwell still has ambitions of a return to Test cricket despite not playing a Test for more than six years.
Maxwell, 35, whose last Test was in Bangladesh in September, 2017, says he “hasn’t given up” on a return despite almost no opportunity to play domestic red-ball cricket.
Speaking at Melbourne airport on Thursday night after making a mid-T20 series return from India, Maxwell conceded selectors would be unlikely to include him in the Test squad this summer.
“The Test squad is playing good cricket at the moment, so it’s not like they’ve got a thousand spots open and available for anyone to come in who hasn’t played any red-ball cricket,” Maxwell said.
“I think it would be hard to see any drastic changes like that ... I think that would be too extreme.”
In his seven Tests, all overseas, Maxwell has 339 runs at 26.07, including a century against India in March 2017. But his first-class career since has been limited to sporadic appearances for Victoria and in English domestic cricket.
“I haven’t given up – I think I’ve just got to be realistic about the timings of the way I’ve been playing my white-ball cricket … you play a World Cup and you don’t play any Shield cricket, you play at the back end of the summer in the white-ball formats and you don’t play any Shield cricket,” he said.
“It’s just been the way it’s gone for the last 10 years of my career, really.”
A two-Test tour of Sri Lanka in February, 2025, has been floated as a possible chance for a Maxwell comeback, but he would likely have to displace Mitch Marsh.
Marsh told reporters in Perth on Thursday he was hopeful of retaining his place for his first Test at Perth Stadium.
“I’m past battling, I’m here to enjoy my cricket and have fun,” he said.

www.heraldsun.com.au

Another brilliant innings by Maxi overnight, 104* off 48 balls to win the third T20 for Australia over India. He and Wade got 80 off the last five overs and 45 off the last two to win it on the last ball.

Speaking of amazing innings, Vic keeper Sam Harper came in at 5/67 yesterday in the Shield game against South Australia. On a bit of a seamer he smacked 151 off 104 balls (15 4s, 9 6s), out of 194 runs scored while he was at the wicket. He's always looked like he could bat but only averages 23 in first-class cricket, so let's hope he goes on with it. Supported well with 47 from young Kellaway.

Then today Jake Fraser-McGurk scored his maiden first-class ton against his home state, with 101 from 106 balls.

And Ollie Davies continues his great start to the season with 81* out of NSW's 224 all out, following his 129 against WA in round 1, and 67 & 62 in round 2 v Tassie.

So, as I said, we do have some young batsmen coming through. Davies and McGurk are two of the most talented. All the shots.

Fergus O'Neill is enjoying a fine start to his career, with 5/28 today. Swings it at good pace and can bat a bit too. Doug Warren copped some tap today but he's a left-arm finger spinner who does turn it and like O'Neill is only 22.

The Vic youth policy is reaping rewards.

10 wickets to Fergie!

NEW STAR ON RISE FOR VICTORIA

Ed Bourke
Young Victorian bowler Fergus O’Neill had the match of his fledgling career snaring 10 wickets in a thrilling Sheffield Shield win nearly snatched away by some daring late batting from South Australia’s Wes Agar.
With his team staring down the barrel at 9-181, despite a confidence-boosting 81 from Test keeper Alex Carey at Adelaide Oval, Agar went on a swinging spree to get the Victorian nerves jangling having been set 258 to win.
Agar whacked six fours and a six in a 26-ball innings of 46, in a 49-run final wicket stand, before Mitch Perry rocked his stumps to give the visitors an important 23-run victory
O’Neill, playing his 14th game, backed up his haul of 5-28 in the first innings with 5-83 in the second to take his season wicket tally to 22, bowling in an attack without Test star Scott Boland and spinner Todd Murphy.

Reactions: 3 users
10 wickets to Fergie!

NEW STAR ON RISE FOR VICTORIA

Ed Bourke
Young Victorian bowler Fergus O’Neill had the match of his fledgling career snaring 10 wickets in a thrilling Sheffield Shield win nearly snatched away by some daring late batting from South Australia’s Wes Agar.
With his team staring down the barrel at 9-181, despite a confidence-boosting 81 from Test keeper Alex Carey at Adelaide Oval, Agar went on a swinging spree to get the Victorian nerves jangling having been set 258 to win.
Agar whacked six fours and a six in a 26-ball innings of 46, in a 49-run final wicket stand, before Mitch Perry rocked his stumps to give the visitors an important 23-run victory
O’Neill, playing his 14th game, backed up his haul of 5-28 in the first innings with 5-83 in the second to take his season wicket tally to 22, bowling in an attack without Test star Scott Boland and spinner Todd Murphy.
I'm a fan of O'Neill, have seen him live a few times, bowls a good length and is no slouch with bat.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 3 users
What a mess.
Too many

Understandably its ICC and not CA, but it erodes at the core support of Aussie cricket.
In England its costly and difficult to watch cricket, so its no longer watched by much of the population. The risk is that we follow that path and turn the sport into a niche game and not the national central sport for all australians.

Reactions: 2 users
Just watched Wasim Akram on the Front Bar from a couple of weeks ago. He was great to listen to. What a star he was.