Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Ps. Starc is a great of our game

But criticism of his wayward line and hence occasionally leaky econ rate is still valid

Yes slingy and quick so you take the good with the bad

A tier below McGrath and SKW naturally

Reactions: 1 users
Might have been mentioned on here before, but how amazing is this stat (courtesy of the BBC)

"After a roaring start, India scored just four boundaries from overs 11 to 50, the fewest they have ever hit in that period in a one-day international."

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
it was a goddam heist y'all

and it turned this test-loving elitist into a schoolboy again

loved every second

After remarking that Starc was a lock for our all-time ODI XI, it got me thinking who else would make the team.

Warner
Gilchrist
Ponting
G.Chappell
Border
Symonds
Maxwell
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

I'll pick 12 and have Mark Waugh as well.

You could argue for Bevan or Steve Waugh or Smith but no best-of team of mine is taking the field without AB, who besides his batting also provided very handy left-arm spin and brilliant in-fielding. What a fielding side this is. Punter, Chappell, Border, Symonds, Maxi, Warner. Even the bowlers were all very good. Deep batting and a stack of bowling options.

Reactions: 1 user
After remarking that Starc was a lock for our all-time ODI XI, it got me thinking who else would make the team.

Warner
Gilchrist
Ponting
G.Chappell
Border
Symonds
Maxwell
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

You could argue for Bevan or Steve Waugh or Smith but no best-of team of mine is taking the field without AB, who besides his batting also provided very handy left-arm spin and brilliant in-fielding. What a fielding side this is. Punter, Chappell, Border, Symonds, Maxi, Warner. Even the bowlers were all very good. Deep batting and a stack of bowling options.
Off the top of my head I can't argue with that side, maybe S Waugh or Bevan in for Chappell. Mike Hussey was very good as well.

Warner
Gilchrist
Ponting
G.Chappell
Border
Symonds
Maxwell
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

I'm no expert but I seem to remember Bevan winning us a lot of games.

Symonds had a lot of chances before he came good. Used to do my head in early days.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't been a big wrap for Cummins Captaincy but he's now making me eat my words.
Well done Pat & Co, what a sweet victory that was.

Warner
Gilchrist
Ponting
G.Chappell
Border
Symonds
Maxwell
Warne
Starc
Lillee
McGrath

I reckon Dean Jones should at least make the conversation. He was our best ODI bat for many years.

Reactions: 6 users
Another brilliant innings by Maxi overnight, 104* off 48 balls to win the third T20 for Australia over India. He and Wade got 80 off the last five overs and 45 off the last two to win it on the last ball.

Speaking of amazing innings, Vic keeper Sam Harper came in at 5/67 yesterday in the Shield game against South Australia. On a bit of a seamer he smacked 151 off 104 balls (15 4s, 9 6s), out of 194 runs scored while he was at the wicket. He's always looked like he could bat but only averages 23 in first-class cricket, so let's hope he goes on with it. Supported well with 47 from young Kellaway.

Then today Jake Fraser-McGurk scored his maiden first-class ton against his home state, with 101 from 106 balls.

And Ollie Davies continues his great start to the season with 81* out of NSW's 224 all out, following his 129 against WA in round 1, and 67 & 62 in round 2 v Tassie.

So, as I said, we do have some young batsmen coming through. Davies and McGurk are two of the most talented. All the shots.

Fergus O'Neill is enjoying a fine start to his career, with 5/28 today. Swings it at good pace and can bat a bit too. Doug Warren copped some tap today but he's a left-arm finger spinner who does turn it and like O'Neill is only 22.

The Vic youth policy is reaping rewards.

Reactions: 2 users
Great to see Jhye Richardson back too, with 4/36 off 23 overs against Queensland. I was pleased to hear Brad Haddin say he'd be first bowler picked for the next Ashes tour if fit.

Good to see the great man Ricky Ponting calling for Maxi's test recall. No better cricket mind in the country, right @Leysy Days ?

Yeah heard that interview.

He was alluding to sub continent conditions or when we need two spinners.

You'd have to agree with him in that respect.

Yeah heard that interview.

He was alluding to sub continent conditions or when we need two spinners.

You'd have to agree with him in that respect.
Oh yes, like last time when he made a test century in India only to be told he needed more red ball runs, moved to no.3 for Victoria , made 278 and 96 in the first two Shield games and was left out of the team for the home Ashes series in favour of Handscomb and Shaun Marsh. (When Handscomb failed Mitch Marsh - first-class average of 29 - got to come in at 4/250 on a Perth road instead of 4/50 on an Indian bunsen.)

Hard to grasp those opportunities you say he doesn't when he never gets them. Not one test anywhere but the toughest place in the world for Australians to bat. No 5 tests in a row at home against a useless England to fail in like Gorgeous George got.

“I think absolutely he should be playing red-ball cricket for Australia,” former Victorian teammate Bryce McGain told SEN Sportsday this week.

“The hundred he scored in India was absolutely outstanding, he’s just been a victim of scheduling and dinky little one-day grouping games for no reason.

“We’ve forgotten about every single series of them, they just don’t matter. We know the World Cup, we know the value of that tournament playing one-day cricket, but he’s been a victim of this white-ball scheduling.

“I think he needs every opportunity. He would be outstanding as the all-rounder for Australia.

“I think any conditions because if you’re the opposition, he’s the last man that you’ll want to come in.

“He can be absolutely dynamic and take the game away.

“I think he is exactly what we need.”

Oh yes, like last time when he made a test century in India only to be told he needed more red ball runs, moved to no.3 for Victoria , made 278 and 96 in the first two Shield games and was left out of the team for the home Ashes series in favour of Handscomb and Shaun Marsh. (When Handscomb failed Mitch Marsh - first-class average of 29 - got to come in at 4/250 on a Perth road instead of 4/50 on an Indian bunsen.)

Hard to grasp those opportunities you say he doesn't when he never gets them. Not one test anywhere but the toughest place in the world for Australians to bat. No 5 tests in a row at home against a useless England to fail in like Gorgeous George got.

Yes its quite staggering that he's been continually overlooked for the test team. Reminds me of the treatment Brad Hodge received over his career.

“I think absolutely he should be playing red-ball cricket for Australia,” former Victorian teammate Bryce McGain told SEN Sportsday this week.

“The hundred he scored in India was absolutely outstanding, he’s just been a victim of scheduling and dinky little one-day grouping games for no reason.

“We’ve forgotten about every single series of them, they just don’t matter. We know the World Cup, we know the value of that tournament playing one-day cricket, but he’s been a victim of this white-ball scheduling.

“I think he needs every opportunity. He would be outstanding as the all-rounder for Australia.

“I think any conditions because if you’re the opposition, he’s the last man that you’ll want to come in.

“He can be absolutely dynamic and take the game away.

“I think he is exactly what we need.”

Maxi should have played 100 tests, he is exactly what Aust test cricket needs.
At least Aust have Head playing an attacking game.
Just need to get Inglis into the test side now, sure he'll fail every now and then, but when he gets going he will provide as much entertainment as what Gilchrist did.