Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

I watched it - astonishing innings. One shot has to be sen to be believed. 136kmh attempted yorker on leg stump and instead of digging it out for a single or attempting to hit it over long on he played a standing reverse sweep over backward point for six. Just a flick of the wrists, one of the sweetest connections you'll ever see. Incredible shot.

Here ya go:

Hopefully no more batting behind Inglis.

Reactions: 3 users
Australia was 6/290 off 42.4 when Green went. Thanks almost exclusively to Maxi, they scored 109 runs off the last 7.4 overs, and 59 off the last 3.

Thinking about the team if and when Head is back, He has to come in for Stoinis/Green. How we ever thought we could go without the second best batsman in the country and one of the top few in the world in Marnus is beyond me. Is Agar a chance to come back too? If so:

Warner
Head
Smith
Labuschagne
Maxwell
Marsh
Inglis
Agar
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

But Cummins will stay in the side and I assume Agar won't get back.

Steve Smith is a pretty ungracious cricketer. Wasn't happy to go on a clean catch.
Brilliant catch that he had a good view of and would have clearly seen was out.

He's a weird unit. And has never been the same player since SA.

Reactions: 2 users
I watched it - astonishing innings. One shot has to be sen to be believed. 136kmh attempted yorker on leg stump and instead of digging it out for a single or attempting to hit it over long on he played a standing reverse sweep over backward point for six. Just a flick of the wrists, one of the sweetest connections you'll ever see. Incredible shot.

Here ya go:

Hopefully no more batting behind Inglis.
Turned on the cricket when Maxy was on 0 in the 39th over. Was thinking to myself, don't play a dumb shot like you did against Pakistan. Hit a couple of cracking straight drives which were basically just pushes, and a cover drive all for 4. I thought he was on. Sat back for the next 9 overs or so and wow!

As you mentioned spook, that reverse sweep for 6 was ridiculous.

On another note, how good were the Dutch in the field. Very impressive.

Brilliant catch that he had a good view of and would have clearly seen was out.

He's a weird unit. And has never been the same player since SA.
I think it’s just part of the game now, wait til the umpires adjudicate. I felt sorry for Van Der Merwe and the disallowed catch off Warner but that’s what happened to Starc in England, again, part of the game now to dissect any catch with any shred of doubt.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't truck with this nonsense that sees catches like Starc's disallowed because the ball touches the ground after it's caught. Absolute nonsense. He caught it, it's in his hand, it never left his hand, it's out.

The one off Warner looked to come out of Van Der Merwe's right hand and hit the ground before ending in his left so that was fair enough. Warner was probably lucky that Dharmasena or Wilson were not 3rd umpire though.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't truck with this nonsense that sees catches like Starc's disallowed because the ball touches the ground after it's caught. Absolute nonsense. He caught it, it's in his hand, it never left his hand, it's out.

The one off Warner looked to come out of Van Der Merwe's right hand and hit the ground before ending in his left so that was fair enough.
Yeh, when you complete the catch above the ground it should be out. It's not like he lost control of the ball at any stage.

I also think the rule about having to stay in the field of play is dumb. If you catch it before the boundary and have both feet down it should be a catch regardless if you subsequently run over the boundary rope. You caught it in the field of play, it should be out.

Yeh, when you complete the catch above the ground it should be out. It's not like he lost control of the ball at any stage.

I also think the rule about having to stay in the field of play is dumb. If you catch it before the boundary and have both feet down it should be a catch regardless if you subsequently run over the boundary rope. You caught it in the field of play, it should be out.
agreed, Ive always said its ludicrous that cricket is the only ball game (that I know of) that the ball can be in play yet if the fieldsman touches the boaundary ( rope) its deemed out of play or a boundary or whatever

agreed, Ive always said its ludicrous that cricket is the only ball game (that I know of) that the ball can be in play yet if the fieldsman touches the boaundary ( rope) its deemed out of play or a boundary or whatever

Rugby does that. The ball can still be in but if a foot ends on the line then its deemed out of play.

Yeah, crap rule, all this nonsense when players catch the ball in play and have to start doing acrobats dancing over the boundary line and throwing the ball around.

The one off Warner looked to come out of Van Der Merwe's right hand and hit the ground before ending in his left so that was fair enough. Warner was probably lucky that Dharmasena or Wilson were not 3rd umpire though.
Agree and absolutely correct. Starc disallow one was a disgrace. No surprise with English umpiring though.

Steve Smith is a pretty ungracious cricketer. Wasn't happy to go on a clean catch.
Have found him to be a disappointing player and character since Sandpapergate. Seems out of touch with reality, quite likely a mental aberration of some type with his obsessive nature re batting. Strange flourishes at the crease with his light-sabre leaves, replays and gestures; talking to himself and field like running his own commentary.

It's like he lives in a world of his own where he never thinks he's out ... or expects another life like in backyard cricket, just because of who he is. Yes, an all-time batting great, but leaves a lot to be desired as a sporstman. Clearly out as the visual proof showed but still blatantly disputing it subsequently.