Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Why are we picking a Test team & not a 50 over team.

Dumb, dumb, dumb selections.
Why do we refuse to invest in the promising younger players who are more suited to short-form cricket anyway? Sure, they may struggle a little initially but these forms are made for younger, more energetic and explosive players, not ageing mid-30s former great test players who are getting too old, slowing down and/or worn out e.g. Warner a perfect example. I'm not saying his form has been terrible recently. But he has not been reliable or consistent enough for a long time now; nor explosive. Although still capable of an occasional good drive or cut, can hardly clear the fence anymore and the great hooks, pulls or legside smashes over boundaries have long gone. But why not try him down the order? No-one else is making runs in the m/o anyway.
Why do we persist in the old reliable trio of Cummins/Hazlewood and Starc forever - in all forms of cricket? Especially as well into their 30s now. Why do the selectors not really back a Neser, Richardson (unless still injured), Abbott or other young quicks who have shown [potential in SF cricket or our own home comps including the Shield.

And, as Spook asks, 'Where's Kuhnemann? Murphy?' Is Zampa the sole answer. I don't think he has enough variation. They score off him too easily and he's not a big wicket-taker at the top level. A spinner needs greater variation and threat to keep it tight at this level.

Our selection process seems moribund and really lacking in risk, dare or willingness to actually invest in some of the younger talent until the old crew is completely broken, worn out and busted. Sometimes you have to take a step back in order for 2 steps forward in future. Relying on successful Test performers historically is not the way forward continuously in SF cricket.

Reactions: 2 users
So these days we're as good at Cricket as we are at Rugby Union. We'd lose all our sporting pedigree if it wasn't for the Mathildas.
Been thinking the same. Not sure if any of our sporting teams have become as embarrassing as the Wallabies, but our once-great cricket looks on track to mount a challenge.
Some dreadful decisions to open batting or bowling from Cummins - both in English tests and now WC - not helping. Can we not obtain some accurate pitch condition/weather information by the toss. India certainly know what they are doing. The catching is a joke. The number of dot-balls conceded in the India match was atrocious. The batting shot selection clueless.

We appear to be going backwards rapidly under McDonald and Cummins. Really not sure a fast bowler is an appropriate captain and is Macca a soft touch compared to hardass Langer? Lots of questions hanging over the course of our national team since great win over India in the ITC in England.

Couldn’t agree more Neon Leon!

To me , most of that group have played a lot of cricket in 23.

“They look tired. “

Been thinking the same. Not sure if any of our sporting teams have become as embarrassing as the Wallabies, but our once-great cricket looks on track to mount a challenge.

Yeah I was thinking about this comparison as well. Both sports in Aust. have clear issues that go beyond the coaches or the players. The issues must be around the management and the player development in both sports.

Offsiders was saying the players look tired and were questioning the cricket calendar. The Ashes was months ago so I don't see how that can be it.

Spin spin spin. Why bother taking 3 quicks. Playing Hazlewood/Starc/Cummins in the same side is madness in India. None of them can bat in those conditions (maybe Starc at 9 is OK). And we have Marsh & Green who bowl pace and are unlikely to go for much more than Hazlewood/Cummins. I would only play Starc of those 3.

England did the same thing. Bowling mediums and quicks. Have a look at the stats for Wood/Woakes/Curran. Their best figures came from the spinners, they actually slowed the afgannies down.

Afghanistan won with spin, almost all their wickets fell to spin.

It's the sub-continent FFS.

Reactions: 3 users
Spin spin spin. Why bother taking 3 quicks. Playing Hazlewood/Starc/Cummins in the same side is madness in India. None of them can bat in those conditions (maybe Starc at 9 is OK). And we have Marsh & Green who bowl pace and are unlikely to go for much more than Hazlewood/Cummins. I would only play Starc of those 3.

England did the same thing. Bowling mediums and quicks. Have a look at the stats for Wood/Woakes/Curran. Their best figures came from the spinners, they actually slowed the afgannies down.

Afghanistan won with spin, almost all their wickets fell to spin.

It's the sub-continent FFS.
Its like we think because our quicks led us to victory in 2004 they can do it again.

Its like we think because our quicks led us to victory in 2004 they can do it again.
The way the game is played has changed immensely in that time. Maybe they haven't realised?

We lack any real imagination at the selection table.

Reactions: 1 users
Another ineffective start by the Aussie bowlers, SL 0/57 from 11.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Sri Lanka have lost their way, 8/199 in 40th over. Zampa has pulled things back, 4/47, after being carted early.

The chase will still be tricky after some rain & under lights but at least the Aussies have made it a contest when the game looked to be drifting away, like the 1st 2 games.

Now 9/204...210 to win, 209 all out.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Sri Lanka have lost their way, 8/199 in 40th over. Zampa has pulled things back, 4/47, after being carted early.

The chase will still be tricky after some rain & under lights but at least the Aussies have made it a contest when the game looked to be drifting away, like the 1st 2 games.

Now 9/204...210 to win, 209 all out.
I wake up and AUS have won easily.

By 5 wickets. Off the bottom of the table. 6 matches to go. Need to win at least 5/6.

Zamps 4 wickets!

Have they turned the corner?

Punters were right. I was wrong!