Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Credit to the Poms, their bowling last night was top shelf. Unfortunately our guys crumbled under the pressure.
Ultimately though, regardless of last night’s defeat in a dead rubber, we retain the Ashes. Til next time at least. Both teams will look quite different then so job done.
A very good series overall. The Ashes still gets me excited. Well played both countries.

Reactions: 4 users
Woke up to the below.

I always thought it was going to tough the last day.

Disappointed but overall it was an enthralling series .

2-2 is right.

Both teams played really good cricket at various stages of every test.

Ashes retained. That’s all that matters.

Good banter on here by all.

Attachments

• 6E78EB85-2B26-4B0E-9CE4-FDD4CEE93F20.jpeg
    6E78EB85-2B26-4B0E-9CE4-FDD4CEE93F20.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 users
England were clearly the better team the last three tests. Woakes and Wood changed the series. Lucky rain saved us in the fourth test.

Reactions: 1 user
Cricket is the winner. Great debates around startegies, players, rules etc. Renewed interest in the game.

A lot owed to the English for their fresh approach. The criticism of "bazball" is completely overblown IMO.

The worst part of the Ashes was the Ch 9 broadcast. The pommie commentators were great as were Taylor & Ponting. Just wish Foxtel had the rights. Would have been much better listening to junior & BJ as well.

Cricket is the winner. Great debates around startegies, players, rules etc. Renewed interest in the game.

A lot owed to the English for their fresh approach. The criticism of "bazball" is completely overblown IMO.

The worst part of the Ashes was the Ch 9 broadcast. The pommie commentators were great as were Taylor & Ponting. Just wish Foxtel had the rights. Would have been much better listening to junior & BJ as well.
No complaints about the commentators, thought most of them were good. Punter is top shelf

England were clearly the better team the last three tests. Woakes and Wood changed the series. Lucky rain saved us in the fourth test.
Australia unlucky in the last 2 days, the rain interuptions and cloud cover had a massive impact. It doesnt rain on day 4 and we make the runs easily.

It happened so not cpntesting the result, instead pointing out that in this test we led on the first innings and were very close on the 2nd and had far worse conditions

How *smile* are the English for not having a beer with the Australians after a hard fought series.
What a pack of whinging sore losers!
Well they said they wouldn't after the Bairstow runout so they are just sticking to their word?

It is a shame though.

How *smile* are the English for not having a beer with the Australians after a hard fought series.
Whoever compared them to Richmond was way off the mark.
They think they know "how" they want to play the game, and keep talking about "how" they want to play the game- but it is manufactured, and quickly forgotten when everything isnt exactly how they want it.

In terms of whinging, hypocrisy, self-righteousness, indignation and poor sportsmanship they won the series 5-0

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Australia unlucky in the last 2 days, the rain interuptions and cloud cover had a massive impact. It doesnt rain on day 4 and we make the runs easily.

It happened so not cpntesting the result, instead pointing out that in this test we led on the first innings and were very close on the 2nd and had far worse conditions
Yep, there's no way the Poms can say they would have won the series if it didn't rain during the 4th test (although they will), as we were cruising at 0-135 in a chanceless partnership in the 4th innings and looked set to add at least another 100 on the 4th day. Then being gifted essentially a new ball in overcast conditions on the final day which swung like a dunny door.

A lot of would'ves could'ves. Anyway, that's cricket. 2-2 and retain the Ashes is a fair result.

kinda fits with the attitude throughout the series from them

Stokes and others might be decent cricketers but there's a petulance there that eats them up

and their coach is a tosser

they'll lose sleep, which is good

Reactions: 2 users
Whoever compared them to Richmond was way off the mark.
They think they know "how" they want to play the game, and keep talking about "how" they want to play the game- but it is manufactured, and quickly forgotten when everything isnt exactly how they want it.
They play with freedom, aggression and accentuate their strengths. They don't stick to some sort of "this is the way you should play test cricket" mantra. They are much more authentic than any other test side I can recall. They don't fret about failure. Remind me a lot of the tigers approach.

Understand and take on board you are rarely wrong but the over the top hatred and derision of the positive approach of the English is dare I say it, "Un Australian".

Nothing like Richmond. Richmond's style of play is part of our culture. Our culture is the opposite of moaning, whinging, self-indulgent self-importance that this English team has.

Reactions: 5 users
… Our culture is the opposite of moaning, whinging, self-indulgent self-importance that this English team has.
Exactly. McCullum seems like a petulant *smile* and that has an effect on some ( not all) of their players. The way they react and carry on when things don’t quite go their way is embarrassing.

However, we ought to take some aspects of their approach and start playing more aggressively. That part of Bazball (vom) is terrific.

What a bunch of sulky, self righteous wankers this England setup are.

Not even letting the Aussies come over for a beer. Weak as *smile*.

They play with freedom, aggression and accentuate their strengths. They don't stick to some sort of "this is the way you should play test cricket" mantra. They are much more authentic than any other test side I can recall. They don't fret about failure. Remind me a lot of the tigers approach.

Yes on-field the way they play is good for Test cricket.

But they are possibly the least authentic sporting outfit Leysy can ever recall.

It's the one word that should never be used for this regime.

Understand and take on board you are rarely wrong but the over the top hatred and derision of the positive approach of the English is dare I say it, "Un Australian".
Im not knocking what they do on the pitch- it is their "good sports" attitude off it that is fake.

And for a team that doesnt fret about failure they make a lot of excuses.