Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

12 runs up . Pretty musch even going into the second innings . Guess its only India , England , and us that take test seriously now :(
In this part of the world T10 is happening .. yep crazy i know watching the Zim Afro T10 full stands on tv every day past 2 weeks till tomorrow . Lots of aussie and international players paying . Look its ok .. but the sad thing when tests are played in Zim ( or SA ) the stands are empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Lol the forecast is of course for mild conditions today then rain for eight days straight.

Last edited:
I have a new prescription for Davey Warner in the second - and possibly his last - innings.

Release yourself. Forget about all the things you’re supposed to be doing and just go beserk. If you hit out, you hit out.

You were going to nick out anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
But again I'm not sure of your point.

You say the pitches were roads, the 2 wickets that seemed to give the least to the bowlers were at Lords and Edgebaston.

Headingley was a good wicket for the bowlers, and Old Trafford certainly wasn't as big a road as you are saying, I reckon it was a mixed wicket, it was a nice batting track but it had pace, swing, seam, bounce and it span on day 1. The facts are that Australia bowled really poorly and the English batters put the Aussie bowlers under a lot of pressure, and they couldn't mix it up with good spin because they didn't pick a good spinner.

Bear in mind that Wood has an average over those 2 tests of 17 and Woakes at 19.5, I'd say its not the massive road you indicate. Even the 1st 2 tests, the top score was 416 and the average from those 8 innings was 335 and remember both of those were won by Australia. When the wicket did more, England won which kind of goes against your whole Bazball needs crap pitches, how did England win the one that did more (the average innings score at Headingley was 244 with a high of 263.
And why on a road would one choose to bowl first every time? Surely you’re setting a big total and making your opponent bat last on a wearing pitch?

Another fascinating test going on, I’m becoming a big fan of Broads. He’s got a great sense of theatre. And almost always produces his best against us. He’s become more “likeable “ the longer his career has gone.

Only wish it was 2-2 and everything was on the line. It’s a bit anti-climactic in a way.

12 runs up . Pretty musch even going into the second innings . Guess its only India , England , and us that take test seriously now :(
In this part of the world T10 is happening .. yep crazy i know watching the Zim Afro T10 full stands on tv every day past 2 weeks till tomorrow . Lots of aussie and international players paying . Look its ok .. but the sad thing when tests are played in Zim ( or SA ) the stands are empty.
Extraordinary. Can’t wait for T1. We can fit the whole game into 6 Tik Toks per innings and really cater for short attention spans.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, this is quality bowling on a surface offering plenty.

The old adage, you dont' know the pitch until both teams have batted is true once again.

So the Aussies batting in the worst of the conditions again despite winning a toss?

This series has had two evenly matched teams with different approaches. It’s made for a fascinating series. Has the cricket thread ever been so busy? (Maybe not since Davey shoved a circular sander in his pants?)

Let’s hope we get 3 full days of cricket in so we get a result this test. An Aussie win will justify our approach and raise serious question marks on Bazball whilst a pommie win will magnify the coulda shoulda woulda whingeing of the Poms. Pity we won’t have another ashes series for 18 months.

Disappointing 1 st Innings by AUS I feel.

An extra 100 would have been ideal.

Test won’t last more than 4 weather permitting.

Fortunate the tail wagged a bit otherwise I could have quite ugly, irrespective of our dropped catches.

Catches win matches.

Looking forward to tonight.

Agree with Punter.
England made their runs in what 60 overs and we took 90 odd.

No urgency to keep the runs ticking over.

England gave us nothing - they bowled superbly.

You could see it in Marnus’s face - he wasn’t gonna throw his wicket away, but literally just had 3-4 balls to feast on in his entire innings.

The Poms know how to bowl in their backyard and they’ve strangled us several times this series.

I genuinely think they are close to challenging us as best team in the world.

But first they need to sort out this Bazball thing. The cost is too severe when you lose wickets quickly.

Go back to tempo cricket and they’ll challenge India and Australia regularly in coming years.

As for this test and this series, I feel we are the slightly better team battling very good sideways and seam we are not reared on. Which makes the contest an enthralling one.

This match?
This series. Arguably cost them a series lead.
Wonder if some stats place could do a sort of expected score number based on average number of catches dropped, averages of the batsman scores accounting for the score they were on when dropped etc. like they do for AFL. I think they have had more “bad” drops than I’d this series but they may drop more catches than us in general anyway?

i like that this is what we are doing, it's a bit of a middle finger to Blahball ....

A capculated decision to put pressure on their bowlers, 2 of which are older than Austalias coaching staff and 1 who tops out after 25 balls.

No doubt theyre also missing Stokes' bowling. We dont have Lyon, they dont have Stokes. Evens out id reckon

So the Aussies batting in the worst of the conditions again despite winning a toss?

This series has had two evenly matched teams with different approaches. It’s made for a fascinating series. Has the cricket thread ever been so busy? (Maybe not since Davey shoved a circular sander in his pants?)

Let’s hope we get 3 full days of cricket in so we get a result this test. An Aussie win will justify our approach and raise serious question marks on Bazball whilst a pommie win will magnify the coulda shoulda woulda whingeing of the Poms. Pity we won’t have another ashes series for 18 months.
Even if we win, some UK media clowns will claim that we might not have won if the weather had not intervened in Manchester and we went into the match at 2-2 and under more pressure.

England did bowl very well and to the conditions, now we have to do the same and make sure the target in the 4th innings is gettable.

DS