Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

He will want to enjoy the next 2 innings then as they should be his last.
No. Apparently Davey gets to call the shots on when he departs so he,ll play the 5th test then everyone is meant to forget his very average Ashes series (and his very average form for a few years too) and he,ll line up for the first test v Pakistan and retire after the 3rd test in Sydney. So it is written.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
No. Apparently Davey gets to call the shots on when he departs so he,ll play the 5th test then everyone is meant to forget his very average Ashes series (and his very average form for a few years too) and he,ll line up for the first test v Pakistan and retire after the 3rd test in Sydney. So it is written.
Sounds about right that tt.

Campaigners barely performed outside of Oz.

Davey is Doing the “I’m not going” speech from Wolf of Wall st.

Www.herald sun.com.au

“David Warner has quashed rumours of an imminent retirement while insisting he has “contributed well” during this Ashes series.
Speaking ahead of what is set to be his final Test against England, Warner conceded he had “left a few out there” during this series but that he hadn’t been worried about getting omitted during the tour.

After three years in which he averages 28.26 across Test cricket - a period in which his 200 at the MCG against South Africa is his sole Test ton - Warner announced pre-series that he would not play the format beyond the home Test series against Pakistan next summer, while acknowledging that it was dependent on him being selected.

Warner, 36, has had another modest tour of England, averaging 25.12 across the first four Ashes Tests with just one half-century. He has still never made a Test ton in the UK.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan floated on Fox that he had heard rumours that both Warner and Steve Smith would retire after the fifth and final Ashes Test that begins at The Oval on Thursday.

Warner brushed off that chat.

“Obviously it’s a joke. I won’t take that too seriously,” he said.

In an at-times lighthearted press conference, Warner briefly floated the idea of playing Test cricket even beyond the Pakistan series.

“Johnny Farnham had one last tour and kept going so who knows, I might have to keep you guessing,” Warner said.

“Depends, see how it goes. I have given the fact that I won’t play the West Indies (in January), but if I still think I’m eligible to keep playing and seeing the ball well, who knows? I’m playing the 2024 World Cup. And I’ve always said to be at your best for white-ball cricket, you have to be facing some sort of red cricket ball. Maybe I might play Shield cricket. I’m not sure.”

But pressed on the matter, Warner backed up his pre-series position.

“OK, I won’t be playing any further Test cricket after Pakistan. You have my word,” Warner said.

Warner’s position in the side has been a subject of speculation for much of the year, however, the opener said he had not allowed himself to be consumed by the discussion.

“No, not at all. As a player that doesn’t go through your head. Going through your head is actually going out there and trying to score as many runs as you can and try and work hard on your game in the nets. If you get tapped on the shoulder, you get tapped on the shoulder. You can’t have that doubt in the back of your mind,” Warner said.

Asked about his output during the series, Warner said he had made significant strides forward since the 2019 Ashes in which he averaged less than 10 with the bat.

“I’ve probably left a few out there but in saying that I’ve played a lot better than what I did last time,” Warner said.

“So I can be in good positions, I’m looking to score, I’ve had a couple of unlucky dismissals and then dismisses where I’ve tried to negate the swing or the seam and it’s caught the outside edge of the bat, so for me, I feel like I’m in a good space, contributed well, and as a batting unit, we’re all about partnerships.

“And I think the partnerships that we’ve had in key moments of this series so far, have actually worked very well for us as a team.”

Personally I don't care how we retain the Ashes as long as we do.

Looking forward to catching the 5th test, will be interested to see if it frees us up a bit, seems we have been reactive from the word go this tour, intimidated by the farce that is 'Bazball'.

On the tactics we have used, something perhaps being overlooked is that Captains tend to lead through their own experience in the game.

With his dancing feet and ability to sweep and cut, AB pulverised spinners and found it hard to rate them as skipper. Even in the early days of Warne he had no idea how to use him. Ponting struggled to rate any bowlers who weren't superstars, because to him they were all donkeys.

Cummins is one of the all time great haters of the short ball. He makes Craig McDermott look like Ian Chappell with the bat. Barely bats in the nets (JL says hi) and gets out to them in soft ways all the time.

Little wonder as a Captain he goes over the top with using the short stuff. he hates it so why wouldn't anyone else? Need to get stronger voices around him to shift his thinking.

Reactions: 1 user

Looking forward to catching the 5th test, will be interested to see if it frees us up a bit, seems we have been reactive from the word go this tour, intimidated by the farce that is 'Bazball'.

On the tactics we have used, something perhaps being overlooked is that Captains tend to lead through their own experience in the game.

With his dancing feet and ability to sweep and cut, AB pulverised spinners and found it hard to rate them as skipper. Even in the early days of Warne he had no idea how to use him. Ponting struggled to rate any bowlers who weren't superstars, because to him they were all donkeys.

Cummins is one of the all time great haters of the short ball. He makes Craig McDermott look like Ian Chappell with the bat. Barely bats in the nets (JL says hi) and gets out to them in soft ways all the time.

Little wonder as a Captain he goes over the top with using the short stuff. he hates it so why wouldn't anyone else? Need to get stronger voices around him to shift his thinking.
Good points. Wasn't aware that Cummins didn't bat much in the nets. My pet hate when I played were fast bolwers overstepping by miles in practice and bowling short. We would call no-ball whenever they did. They hated it but it didn't stop them. Most aren't the sharpest tools in the sheds. And they all bowl too short as a general rule IMO.

I haven't really noticed Cummins fear of the short ball as any different to most fast bowlers. I can't think of one that really gets in behind them and is prepared to get hit. Most times they are swinging hard and closing their eyes or fending it in the air/ducking.

One thought on Bazball, it does appear effective for 4th innings chases.
A positive, indominatable mindset that thinks we can chase anything.
But its not just positivity. Its deliberate risk taking. Take high risks to get high rewards.
Strikingly similar to Collingwood.

And compare to the Aussies (and other teams) seemingly intense fear of chasing 100-250 runs.

Why do you think Bazball is a farce ? I think it’s been a bit overhyped as a concept but I wouldn’t say farce.

Here's why I hate Bazball:

It demands dead pitches. ODI pitches for tests, made to last five days with little change, with no grass, cracks, nothing in them for the bowlers. Concrete. So flawed long-form batsmen like Brook and Crawley can swing through the line without any concern of extra bounce or deviation. It takes the spinner out of the game to a large degree. It means that once the ball gets soft and old the attack is at the mercy of the sloggers. Dead pitch, soft ball, big bats, small grounds = money for jam.

It tips the balance between bat and ball too far.

No one can tell me Harry Brook is a good batsman. He's a *smile* baseballer.

Reactions: 4 users

It demands dead pitches. ODI pitches for tests, made to last five days with little change, with no grass, cracks, nothing in them for the bowlers. Concrete. So flawed long-form batsmen like Brook and Crawley can swing through the line without any concern of extra bounce or deviation. It takes the spinner out of the game to a large degree. It means that once the ball gets soft and old the attack is at the mercy of the sloggers. Dead pitch, soft ball, big bats, small grounds = money for jam.

Not sure that is the typical English pitch though?

Not sure its anything more than a mindset and attitude. Not sure they have been doctoring pitches to suit. Where do you get that?

What country doesn't "doctor" pitches to suit their side? As an aside I've always held the belief that the toss should be done away with and the visiting side chooses whether to bat or bowl. That way the pitch curator would be more influenced to prepare a "fair" pitch if you could call it that.

Anyway, their last 15 odd tests show the below:
Drew India 2-2 in Eng - great series played on challenging wickets
Beat NZ in Eng 3-0 - Eng chased 3 second innings totals of 277/299/296 to win all 3 tests.
Beat SA 2-1 - 10 innings and only one score over 400
Beat Pakistan away 3-0. No doctoring pitches.
Tied NZ away 1-1. No doctoring pitches.

Where are the dead pitches you claim are demanded? They've done it batting first, batting second at home and away. Not sure where you get it demands "dead" pitches from.

They've created renewed interest in Test cricket with their approach. I watched that Indian series because it had gripping cricket. Same with the NZ series.

Not sure why people get so hung up on a phrase. They've played positive attacking cricket. What's not to like?

Reckon its mostly aussies cringing at the fact the Poms are no longer easybeats.

Thats a completely warped view that isn't backed up with any of the data from the test matches that we've played but I know you hate England, but don't let it cloud your judgement, you are generally better than that.

So if England and Bazball require dead pitches I have a couple of questions for you.

1 - How come we have had results in 3 of 4 tests (and we would have had a result in the 4th had we not lost 2 days to rain?
2 - If England batsmen are crap as you state, why haven't Australia smashed us with your superior batting side??

I don't understand it, we have both played on the same wickets, but its *smile* and dead for us, but not for you?

BTW stats from this Ashes relating to batting below.

Australia - Innings 8 - Runs 2,381, wickets lost 73 - average runs per wicket 32.6, run rate 3.4
England - Innings 7 - Runs 2,401, wickets lost 68 - average runs per wicket 35.3, run rate 4.7

I don't understand, are you saying both teams are crap, just we are more crap?

Thats a completely warped view that isn't backed up with any of the data from the test matches that we've played but I know you hate England, but don't let it cloud your judgement, you are generally better than that.

So if England and Bazball require dead pitches I have a couple of questions for you.

1 - How come we have had results in 3 of 4 tests (and we would have had a result in the 4th had we not lost 2 days to rain?
2 - If England batsmen are crap as you state, why haven't Australia smashed us with your superior batting side??

I don't understand it, we have both played on the same wickets, but its *smile* and dead for us, but not for you?

BTW stats from this Ashes relating to batting below.

Australia - Innings 8 - Runs 2,381, wickets lost 73 - average runs per wicket 32.6, run rate 3.4
England - Innings 7 - Runs 2,401, wickets lost 68 - average runs per wicket 35.3, run rate 4.7

I don't understand, are you saying both teams are crap, just we are more crap?
I didn't state England batsmen are crap. I said Crawley and Brook are flawed. Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying either team is crap. I said what I said, maybe read it again.

Agree - the mentality is why spend a day and 90 overs watching scores of 250 - 270 runs when you can see them be bash out in 20 odd overs.

Test cricket is unique as it takes time, you factor in a deteriorating and varied pitch, the weather, fatigue and pressure that builds over 5 days - so I don’t understand why they want to turn test cricket into a big bash slog fest all the time.

If you want to watch slogging, go and watch 20 over cricket is my view.

Every generation, there will be a Viv Richard’s, Botham or Gilchrist who has the skill to smash a test 100, that’s exciting and unique, but I reckon it will quickly become boring when every team does it all the time.

The proof for me is that over 4 tests, including all the variables that you see over a 5 test series, it’s Bazball 1, normal 2, with one to go.

I guess we are traditionalists.

I didn't state England batsmen are crap. I said Crawley and Brook are flawed. Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying either team is crap. I said what I said, maybe read it again.

So why haven't Australia flogged us then?

I don't really get your point. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet over the term Bazball and using it to justify your feelings over England.

If the pitches are so dead, how come that we are getting results in all games then? Why do we watch cricket? For entertainment right? We want to see results in cricket matches? Isn't that what we are being delivered?

It is now.

I can't speak for why others don't like it, but my reason is it's taken some nuance and skill from the game.
Based on the last 4 tests?

That's like saying I don't like the way the tigers played to win 3 flags, with their get it forward at all costs tapping, kicking off the ground chaos type stuff. It lacks "skill" in a way.

The Poms approach and manner reminds me a lot of of the mindset the tigers had to win 3 flags, authentic and positive. It's surprises me how much hatred their is towards them.

So why haven't Australia flogged us then?

I don't really get your point. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet over the term Bazball and using it to justify your feelings over England.

If the pitches are so dead, how come that we are getting results in all games then? Why do we watch cricket? For entertainment right? We want to see results in cricket matches? Isn't that what we are being delivered?
It's crazy. I think its the fact the Poms have regenrated interest in Test cricket and are doing well that gets up everyones nose.

Well, the fans on PRE anyway.

Agree - the mentality is why spend a day and 90 overs watching scores of 250 - 270 runs when you can see them be bash out in 20 odd overs.

Test cricket is unique as it takes time, you factor in a deteriorating and varied pitch, the weather, fatigue and pressure that builds over 5 days - so I don’t understand why they want to turn test cricket into a big bash slog fest all the time.

If you want to watch slogging, go and watch 20 over cricket is my view.

Every generation, there will be a Viv Richard’s, Botham or Gilchrist who has the skill to smash a test 100, that’s exciting and unique, but I reckon it will quickly become boring when every team does it all the time.

The proof for me is that over 4 tests, including all the variables that you see over a 5 test series, it’s Bazball 1, normal 2, with one to go.

I guess we are traditionalists.
Ha ha. What a crazy way to look at it. Let's get Boycott back out there and have teams scoring 220 in a day.

What's being a 'traditionalist" got to do with it?

The proof is really over the lifetime of the approach.