Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Here’s why I think Bazball will ultimately fail:

against the best in the world, such an approach inevitably involves mistakes. Miscues, brain fades, poor judgments.

Bazball is batting right down to ten, bowling first, chasing down totals in quick time.

But the best opposition makes you pay. We saw this in the first and second tests. Apart from Stokes, the English batsman were hit and miss. The absolute essence of what Bazball logically becomes against the best.

Against a good, energised bowling attack, Bazball sees wickets fall. How is this a sturdy blueprint for test domination?

I’m glad Stokes and co. still think they’ll be remembered in future generations and that winning isn’t everything.

Because we are seeing Bazball against the best in the world.

Very good, sometimes scintillating, but ultimately too cavalier to succeed in a game that punishes mistakes as brutally as any sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
BTW - the Aussies had a clear plan for Old Trafford - bat England into a draw.

Yes, it ended up being closer than we would’ve liked, and we didn’t bat well in the first innings, but I firmly believe we could’ve batted through another session or two in that second dig. The pitch wasn’t doing too much, we had two established bats and still had solid batting to come.

Back to a conventional mix for The Oval with the Ashes retained.

In many respects pressure off as we can’t lose. I expect a comfortable win and a robust post-mortem for Bazball.

BTW - the Aussies had a clear plan for Old Trafford - bat England into a draw.

Yes, it ended up being closer than we would’ve liked, and we didn’t bat well in the first innings, but I firmly believe we could’ve batted through another session or two in that second dig. The pitch wasn’t doing too much, we had two established bats and still had solid batting to come.
With Stokes knowing the forecast for days 4 & 5 it would've been interesting if Stokes had declared just before, or at stumps on day 2 when they had a lead of 70 odd.
A full uninterrupted day 3 bowling to Australia..................I reckon if Stokes had his time again he might have declared. Or maybe he was spooked after the Fleet Street journo's lambasted him for his declaration before stumps on day 1 of the first test. If that was the reason, thank you Fleet Street.

Reactions: 2 users
Bloody hell. England’s junior cricket program is impressive. They’ve sent a 10 year old with a beard out there to open.

• Haha