Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Davey will be a certainty for the last test too. Unreal.
No doubt , got to give Davey a chance to run into form before his farewell tour of Oz in front of all his millions of fans , see no point giving another a chance to get some confidence up in a dud rubber and cementing his spot leading into an important summer . I’m sure Davey is hitting beautifully in the nets

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The poms complaining that the game should somehow be extended is hypocrisy at the level of . . . well, the poms when they whinged about that stumping at Lords. They have been the most reticent to play day/night tests, the most reticent to add time to days when there has been time lost, and the evidence after Lords of them doing similar stumpings was everywhere.

The fact is that rain stops cricket and tests are limited to 5 days. They just have to suck it up if it keeps raining. For all the bravado and criticism of Australia, it was Australia who won the first 2 tests.

The criticism of Cummins has some credence. You would have to think there is a lot of discussion about bowling tactics against attacking batters, but from the outside the tactics being used sure as hell don't look like they are working.

DS
The English may not be World Champions of Test Cricket, but they are World Champions of hypocrisy.

I think Cummins knows he's not the best captain, it was thrust upon him. Must be bloody hard being a strike bowler, trying to set a trap to dismiss a batsman, while executing perfect line and length, and setting the field, worrying about over rates etc.

But we won the WTC and retained the Ashes under his captaincy so make of that what you will.

Reactions: 1 users
Saw a lovely tweet yesterday about the English turning water into whine

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I think Head is the long term choice. Smith clearly should be Captain now.

I tend to agree Jazzer, unfortunately Smith's papers were stamped due to sandpaper gate. We're in a transitional phase, Head is not quite ready, so Cummins has been "forced" into the job.
Imo he's not a good Captain, he does his best but!!! He's not the long term solution.

His team has retained the Ashes, so congratulations to them. A lot of luck was involved but that's the way it is.

We have interesting times ahead.

I'd give the captaincy to Marn. I know he's a bit up and down but he's a well known cricket nuffy.

If given the role there's zero doubt he'd be leaving no stone unturned making sure he's the best one he can possibly be.

It's amazing isn't it, Test Cricket has been played since 1877 or thereabouts. The weather has always played a part, sometimes to Australia's benefit sometimes to our detriment. This time we've been lucky at other times not so.
I think that the English team are being very poor sports, which reflects very badly on their leadership especially their Captain & Coach.

I'm sure a lot of their previous Captains would be quite embarrassed with the current carryings on by Stoke, McCullum etc.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd give the captaincy to Marn. I know he's a bit up and down but he's a well known cricket nuffy.

If given the role there's zero doubt he'd be leaving no stone unturned making sure he's the best one he can possibly be.
Although in saying this he would need to allocate all DRS referrals to someone else

You can only beat the opponent that you are versing competing against in the ultimate Final in any sport. To denigrate the winner by saying their competitor wasn’t worthy is like when people say “oh, Richmond only beat GWS in 2019, that doesn’t count.”
Point taken. Unfortunately we couldn't beat them in the more important test series held in india. Nor in Aust when more of their players were closer to their peak. We haven't beaten them the last 4 series both home & away. And the World Test championship doesn't really do it for me, maybe it will develop more importance & prestige over time.

Winning a final is definitely an achievement, especially when there are qualification hurdles to overcome. But surely the quality of the opponent influences how the merit of the win is judged? Not sure that is denigrating the winner?

Personally I rank the 2017 & 2020 GF wins "higher" than 2019. But it's not like I don't count 2019. Beating the cats in a PF was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: 1 user
It's amazing isn't it, Test Cricket has been played since 1877 or thereabouts. The weather has always played a part, sometimes to Australia's benefit sometimes to our detriment. This time we've been lucky at other times not so.
I think that the English team are being very poor sports, which reflects very badly on their leadership especially their Captain & Coach.

I'm sure a lot of their previous Captains would be quite embarrassed with the current carryings on by Stoke, McCullum etc.

Not just previous captains, some of us supporters don't like it either.

To me the Bairstow one was blown out of proportion. My initial feeling was it was a bit of a rough one as I thought Carey should have provided a warning before actually doing it, however, as soon as it came out that the day before Bairstow had said he would have stumped Head without warning, then that respect to provide a warning, for me, disappears.

Likewise with the rain, yeah its a tough one to take, in such a favourable position, its always tough to take a draw in a game that I doubt anyone would expect England not to have won that, should enough overs have been able to have been bowled, but this has been happening for decades, of which England have benefitted from the weather plenty of times in the past to draw tests we should have lost. It makes you look stupid, ignorant and hypocritical to complain about the rules that have been in place for a long long time, on that occurrence when they didn't favour you and ignoring all the times that they did.

Having said that, my position on the weather in test cricket has been there for a long while now. For test cricket to survive in the long term, cricket needs to find a way to reduce the number of tests not delivering a result due to weather to a very low number.

Whether they flick the switch and flick to 4 day tests with a carryover 5th day, maybe thats the solution. I've always found it very strange, that most cricket matches start between 10-30 and 11am. Why not at 9? Can they not get out of bed earlier? Sure its a long day, moving from 90 overs (not that they bowl 90 in a day anymore, more like 80), but trying to moved the 450 overs to 4 days, would push towards 110 overs, so you need probably another 2 hours of play.

My view on this hasn't changed with the 4th test, its been there for a long while (and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before), but if there is a genuine draw thats fine, but weather impacted draws need to be for days on end of bad weather IMO, but there isn't any solution to this, and I'm not sure there is any push anywhere to change it anyway.

Reactions: 12 users
So. A pommy workmate was whinging about the result this morning. I couldn’t help myself. I said the only way this would be better is if you guys won this test and the ENGLISH weather rained out the fifth test :ROFLMAO:
They seem to have lost their sense of humour lately :p

• Haha
I used to be a big Broad fan, liked his strut and stirring, was fine with him not walking when caught and given not out, and admired his ability to produce when it counts. Always though the Aussie hatred of him was hypocritical and didn't have much basis. But he's lost me with his OTT leading the way on the hypocritical whingeing, taken it to ridiculous levels. Root has surprised me too, wanting to change rules on the run when they go against them, fair dinkum, and tut tutting on spirit of cricket. I thought he was your old-school David Gower type, who I loved, but no apparently.

The current Test cricketers are very tardy when it comes to providing the entertainment they should. Let's face it "back in the Good old days" we used to get nearly 100, 8 ball overs in a day. This from guys who were semi - professionals. Nowadays we're lucky to see 85 - 90, 6 ball overs per day.

Pretty poor effort considering they're now fully professional players.

Imo the ICC is very poor in enforcing this rule. Actually they're very poor in the overall running of the game as a whole.

Last edited:
Not just previous captains, some of us supporters don't like it either.

To me the Bairstow one was blown out of proportion. My initial feeling was it was a bit of a rough one as I thought Carey should have provided a warning before actually doing it, however, as soon as it came out that the day before Bairstow had said he would have stumped Head without warning, then that respect to provide a warning, for me, disappears.

Likewise with the rain, yeah its a tough one to take, in such a favourable position, its always tough to take a draw in a game that I doubt anyone would expect England not to have won that, should enough overs have been able to have been bowled, but this has been happening for decades, of which England have benefitted from the weather plenty of times in the past to draw tests we should have lost. It makes you look stupid, ignorant and hypocritical to complain about the rules that have been in place for a long long time, on that occurrence when they didn't favour you and ignoring all the times that they did.

Having said that, my position on the weather in test cricket has been there for a long while now. For test cricket to survive in the long term, cricket needs to find a way to reduce the number of tests not delivering a result due to weather to a very low number.

Whether they flick the switch and flick to 4 day tests with a carryover 5th day, maybe thats the solution. I've always found it very strange, that most cricket matches start between 10-30 and 11am. Why not at 9? Can they not get out of bed earlier? Sure its a long day, moving from 90 overs (not that they bowl 90 in a day anymore, more like 80), but trying to moved the 450 overs to 4 days, would push towards 110 overs, so you need probably another 2 hours of play.

My view on this hasn't changed with the 4th test, its been there for a long while (and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before), but if there is a genuine draw thats fine, but weather impacted draws need to be for days on end of bad weather IMO, but there isn't any solution to this, and I'm not sure there is any push anywhere to change it anyway.

I know I'd be very disappointed/annoyed is the Aussies carried on the same way, if the situation was reversed. It reflects very badly on the whole team imo.

Ah but rules are for other people.
Exactly.!
Astonishing really.

So you bat to give Bairstow a opportunity to get a 100, use up so many hours, could have declared much earlier, everyone knew the weather would play a big part in this test, but….

It’s AUS fault.

We didn’t play to the ‘spirit of the game”.

Really?

Let’s come back to day and bat till midnight.
Would that appease everyone , including Piers and Root?

Can’t wait for Thursday.

OK guys, enough of the Pom bashing. Stokes has declared that no one understands the game as well as he and his team do.

"To be honest, anybody that was going to question the declaration in this game, probably doesn't understand the game as well as we do. We've had three hours of cricket in two days, whatever we did we wouldn’t have been able to force a result because of the weather. It is what it is."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Merv getting stuck into Criers Morgan:

5E4BC641-B7A3-4F68-B5F8-558CE44CCAA9.jpeg

lve said before but this is what I love about the internet, it can show up peoples hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I can see why Stokes and co. are gutted. They’ve been riding the Bazball wave for a while now and just bungled a home Ashes series.

It’s delicious

The whinging is what whinging has always been - frustration. They know they only have themselves to blame. 0-2 after Lords says it all.