Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

There are plenty of expert commentators questioning many aspects of Cummins captaincy. Both local and international commentators. It's really not a job for your No.1 fast bowler.
Who would be a better choice as captain than Cummins? Smith, Warner and Khawaja are near the end.

India - an ageing side past their best playing in a foreign country. Hardly a first class opponent.

There are plenty of expert commentators questioning many aspects of Cummins captaincy. Both local and international commentators. It's really not a job for your No.1 fast bowler.
They made the test champ final, as did we, both non deserving? Whatever pal. We won the world test championship. Full stop.

I know he is getting criticism, thats why I posted, from the evidence, its objectively way OTT. Again, its the extent I have a problem with, critisicise sure, clearly not up to it, ludicrous. 3 0 down, thats clearly not up to it.

They made the test champ final, as did we, both non deserving? Whatever pal. We won the world test championship. Full stop.

I know he is getting criticism, thats why I posted, from the evidence, its objectively way OTT.
Where did I say not deserving? Beating them in London was hardly summiting Mt Everest. Most of their players well past their best on foreign soil. Nothing like the challenge they are at home.

Pal? Just an opinion.

Nah, *smile* em

You win however you can.

*smile* em
Spot on. A days rain is as unlucky as a Nathan Lyon injury.

Singing In The Rain Dancing GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Broad has come out and said that a draw would be unjust. Root suggests the game could be played until 10pm ….

Amazing how suddenly the rules should be changed.

Broad has been an amazing bowler but he is also an amazing wanker.
I wouldn’t give credence to anything Broad says. This is the same person who said the last Ashes series in Australia is ‘void’ because it was played under Covid protocols. And as for playing until 10, when playing here and under our conditions, the English team would be the first to protest about light and petition the umpires to go off.

Reactions: 3 users
If golf is allowed to be played in the rain, why not cricket?? It would make it a lot more interesting to watch.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
There appears to be a massive chip on many shoulders here given the over-reactions to anything the Poms say or do.

It's been a terrific series and ideally we would be going into the final test with the Ashes on the line.

Play to start in 45 minutes, lets hope we get some play.
As a very wise man once said:
Nah, *smile* em

You win however you can.

*smile* em

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Amazed at the level of criticism of Cummins. He deserves some sure, but its way way OTT, and there is a little bit of evidence to back it up: 1, we just won the world test championship, 2, we're 2-1 up in an Ashes series in England. On top of that, you have to give some credit to the opposition. The level of criticism is more in line with getting relentlessly flogged for a full season or 2.
What's fairly evident is that the loudest Cummins criticisers in the media right now are the same ones who were very loud and vocal when Langer got the arse.

Probably just a coincidence though.

Reactions: 1 user
The poms complaining that the game should somehow be extended is hypocrisy at the level of . . . well, the poms when they whinged about that stumping at Lords. They have been the most reticent to play day/night tests, the most reticent to add time to days when there has been time lost, and the evidence after Lords of them doing similar stumpings was everywhere.

The fact is that rain stops cricket and tests are limited to 5 days. They just have to suck it up if it keeps raining. For all the bravado and criticism of Australia, it was Australia who won the first 2 tests.

The criticism of Cummins has some credence. You would have to think there is a lot of discussion about bowling tactics against attacking batters, but from the outside the tactics being used sure as hell don't look like they are working.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
JL was always an intense character.
Didn't sit well with the current day metrosexuals.
Prob gone too far back the other way now.
The tail wagging the dog.
Not a good look losing the last Test in 4 days and the punishment is a 3 day holiday in Spain, France or wherever.
Other effect of this is it clouds judgement on selections eg. dropping players who aren't performing but maybe are your friends.
(Imagine asking Chimpah to drop Aston Martin)
IMHO bowlers rarely make good Captains.
Richie Benaud an exception.
Then it effects their bowling as seen in this match.
When was the last time Pat had figures of 23 ov 1/129.
Too many things on his mind.
I hope they can regroup for The Oval.
No easy answer or quick fix.

We have been humbled the last 2 Tests.
Yet looks like we may keep The Urn.
Rain Baby Rain.

Bazball is Dead!
Now sack Baz.
Too much?:banana

So Joe Root reckons you can play until 10.00 pm in England? Great! The 30-hour Test match could become a three 10-hour day affair. Cricket's crammed schedule fixed. Thanks, Joe!

What is wrong with that? They have dominated the game. He's probably right. But not the first "unjust" result in cricket. Or in sport. And won't be the last.
What is wrong with it is they pick and choose. Weather intervenes in cricket, it happens.
Sometimes they will benefit ( 4th test of the last ashes series) and sometimes it is their opponents who benefit.
Just because it happens to them now somehow it is unique and unjust. Somehow it requires a change in the rules

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users