Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Well it’s now gunna be 2-2. Down to the last test. Unless our bats lift their game and make decent scores it’ll be 3-2. Dont think rain will aid us.

Reactions: 1 user
When you are doing rain dances (in the cricket), you know things aren't going well.

In the footy, we play in melbourne, so no dancin required.

Batting is still the issue, even after all these years.

Flat track bullies at home, saved by Smith in the 2019 Ashes.

Three of our top six - half - can’t make genuine game-turning scores on foreign soil. Labuschagne, Warner, Green.

Throw in Smith’s patchy form and you only got Khawaja, Head and for now, Marsh.

Our batting lacks technique when the ball is seaming or swinging.

The batting could lose us this Ashes.

Haven't been too sure about Cummins captaincy, this Ashes series has made up my mind. He's a good bowler, but not a good captain.
Cummins hasn't been helped by the selectors, no Murphy, Warner, continues to get selected.
Murphy proved in India that he is a good bowler, Cummins handling of him at Headingley was terrible, he wouldn't give him a bowl !!
The captaincy might even be affecting his fielding, he was a way with the fairies in the field yesterday.
Head was bowling in the 23rd over yesterday !!!
Warner is averaging 14.75 in England and 18.33 overseas since his return from sandpaper gate, enough is enough.
I hope Head is the Captain for our next test series in Australia.

Reactions: 1 users
Well it’s now gunna be 2-2. Down to the last test. Unless our bats lift their game and make decent scores it’ll be 3-2. Dont think rain will aid us.
Given the forecast is no play at all on Day 4 or 5, with some showers for Day 3, reckon there's a fair chance it's a draw, provided we bat half decently. Big caveat there of course with our batting...

Reactions: 2 users
Tactics?

Poor bowling and Stokes still in.

Today is crucial but game/series could have taken a turn for the English ( positivity) and for the Australia, the opposite.

Let’s see.

Haven't been too sure about Cummins captaincy, this Ashes series has made up my mind. He's a good bowler, but not a good captain.
Cummins hasn't been helped by the selectors, no Murphy, Warner, continues to get selected.
Murphy proved in India that he is a good bowler, Cummins handling of him at Headingley was terrible, he wouldn't give him a bowl !!
The captaincy might even be affecting his fielding, he was a way with the fairies in the field yesterday.
Head was bowling in the 23rd over yesterday !!!
Warner is averaging 14.75 in England and 18.33 overseas since his return from sandpaper gate, enough is enough.
I hope Head is the Captain for our next test series in Australia.

Likewise tman, I'm not a fan of Cummins as Captain, I honestly believe that if he was from any other state he wouldn't be.
The Aussies tactics when bowling are questionable at best & our batting is very very brittle.
As for team selection, my goodness we've been all of the place. Warner is extremely lucky that he's from NSW, Labuschagne has been very disappointing, a couple of others have been very patchy. Going into this test without a recognized spinner is just plain dumb.

If & it's a very BIG IF we manage somehow to salvage a draw in this test, then imo we would've been extremely lucky to win this series.

Tactics?

Poor bowling and Stokes still in.

Today is crucial but game/series could have taken a turn for the English ( positivity) and for the Australia, the opposite.

Let’s see.
Reckon the Poms will go hell for leather for the first session and then have a crack at us. There's talk that the weather isn't going to be as bad as first thought for days 4 & 5, but I reckon they'll declare early, maybe even after an hour.

Reckon the Poms will go hell for leather for the first session and then have a crack at us. There's talk that the weather isn't going to be as bad as first thought for days 4 & 5, but I reckon they'll declare early, maybe even after an hour.
Exactly.

We all know how weather predictions can turn.

I think it may.

Then some of the batting selections and bowling will come back to haunt the Australians.

Thinking the weather may save you is fraught with danger.

And before I’m ridiculed, I’m not saying that’s played a role for Australia.

But the English have shown in their batting the margin for error is in the hands of the batsmen.

Crawley showed us just how. 180.

Thats5 of our batsmen with starts and all 5 didn’t go on with it.

But I’m a mug.

The forecast is still that Day 4 may be a washout, so I think you are right.

Probably look to get 15-20 overs in (somewhere around an hour and a half depending on how slow the over rate is - I think the Aussies will try and slow it right down), but with Stokes and Brook at the crease, and Bairstow / Woakes / Wood and Broad to come, I think they will be aggressive with the bat. 6 an over for 15 overs, adds an extra 90 runs, takes the lead over 150 and then have 20 mins at the aussie openers before lunch.

There will be play on Day 5, so I think the plan will be to get that lead to 150+, then aim to bowl at the aussies in spurts throughout the day with the 4 quicks mainly.

Would be sort of funny if we got rolled in 3 days and days 4 and 5 would have been wash outs.
It would be funnier if we are 9 down and a lot behind at the end of day 3, which is shortened by bad light, then day 4 and 5 get washed out.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
For all brightsiders Warner made double his average.
Isnt that brilliant?

No doubt England's declaration will be very aggressive.
If they wait to get 200-220 in front they give a shot for an innings defeat.
But perhaps 150 in front will be enough

The forecast is still that Day 4 may be a washout, so I think you are right.

Probably look to get 15-20 overs in (somewhere around an hour and a half depending on how slow the over rate is - I think the Aussies will try and slow it right down), but with Stokes and Brook at the crease, and Bairstow / Woakes / Wood and Broad to come, I think they will be aggressive with the bat. 6 an over for 15 overs, adds an extra 90 runs, takes the lead over 150 and then have 20 mins at the aussie openers before lunch.

There will be play on Day 5, so I think the plan will be to get that lead to 150+, then aim to bowl at the aussies in spurts throughout the day with the 4 quicks mainly.
Interrupted play would benefit bowling Wood! Get him into the hot tub with the swedish masseuse during the rain delays!

Very apparent to what we thought after day one. We left a lot of runs on the table.

We look tired as well. Long tour is taking its toll while the Poms are warming up.

Obv must bat very well today when we get in.

A random observation that have thought for a while. Wouldn't be surprised to see Steve Smith retire in the not too distant future.

Possibly end of the Australian summer, but quite possibly sooner.

Just a hunch from adding a few things up.