Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Agreed. *smile* weak umpire.
He hates Australia. Must have copped some rough treatment when sending down his doorknobs back in the day.

And Joel Wilson is the TV umpire. At least they'll probably let him bring his seeing eye dog into the booth.

Reactions: 1 user
This series has been really strange how so many innings are kind of replicated by both sides. The big difference between the 2 teams for me though has been execution in the field. Carey has been much better than Bairstow behind the stumps and the slips catching from the Aussies has been much better. Take the Bairstow catch, similar timing in the innings / similar scorecard to when Root dropped Marsh yesterday but Smith doesn't drop them.

Catches win matches and the Aussies are ruthlessly showing that.

Reactions: 1 users
Stokes has strained his arse by the looks.
No, it's the reaming he got for not playing in the spirit of the game yesterday when he didn't call Head's shot a four. A few stitches and he should be ok.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Always get a good test wicket at Headingley, there's always good bounce, would have to be one of the best in world cricket.

This series has been really strange how so many innings are kind of replicated by both sides. The big difference between the 2 teams for me though has been execution in the field. Carey has been much better than Bairstow behind the stumps and the slips catching from the Aussies has been much better. Take the Bairstow catch, similar timing in the innings / similar scorecard to when Root dropped Marsh yesterday but Smith doesn't drop them.

Catches win matches and the Aussies are ruthlessly showing that.
And England has had the best of the conditions, by a long way. Reverse that and it's probably not as close.

Cummins and Starc getting it done. Will go down as one of our great duos (or trio, with Hazlehoff). Cummins is a champion, of course. Starc cops a bit but has 318 wickets in his 80th Test at 27.56 - they're great numbers. Cummins 233 in 53 at 21.89 - they're incredible numbers.

Why aren't England Bazballing? I thought they were all about entertaining? Didn't they say it was more important than winning? What happened to that? Was it patent rubbish? Australia scored at 4+ per over, why are England unwilling to go toe-to-toe with them?

Reactions: 2 users
As for Saint McCullum, he did this twice! All very well for him to say he thinks better of it 10 years later when he knows he’s never going to be put in the situation again.
Maybe not as a player, but what about as a coach??? Coach sets not just the tactics and game style that he wants his players to adhere to, but what about the integrity of how they play in the spirit of the game??? In all the media ramblings about the Bairstow stumping, there was a mention of Pope from slip or gully region " running out " a player who'd shuffled out of his crease to go gardening recently. Wonder if the Kiwi hypocrite pulled the Pope aside later n reamed him for abusing the holy spirit of the game, maybe even suspended him for a game for not following team ethos. Did he bother to rip it up Bairstow for trying it on earlier in the game against Labia??? More likely probably abused him for missing the stumping chance.

They’ve taken advantage of a guys ignorance and in some ways innocence to the fact he was putting his wicket in danger. It’s cheap. And dishonourable.
FMD was Mary Poppins your fairy godmother or something???
Bairstow is actually shown and proven to be a full on activist in exploiting exactly the tactic of taking out unsuspecting stupid dozy batsmen as you are now claiming him to be innocent and ignorant of. Talking an absolute pile of *smile* MD.

What I will find interesting for the remainder of the series, is if something that is “ against the spirit of the game” happens that benefits the poms, will they “do the right thing” and reverse the decision because “ it’s the right thing to do” or be hypocrites and let the decision stand because it’s in the rules?
Already answered that question in the negative over that Starkers catch. Spirit died, rule book won.

Yeah, there was an article remembering all the different ways you’d walk out of your crease as a kid. I never knew there were different ways of saying it, I thought it was just “wicket leave” but apparently it was different in each state. “Crease leave”, “stump leave” and others. Bottom line, we all knew not to leave your crease til you were sure the ball was dead.
Home made kids rules, maybe we should bring them back in for professional international test cricket. Over the fence is six and out n you have to go collect the ball yourself and pray that you're quick enough to beat the neighbours dog.

I reckon if this thread is a true indication of what is being spoken about more widely, the English have achieved their aim.
Rather than the commentary being on the 2-0 scoreline it is all about the stumping, and mostly about Englands reaction to the stumping.
So far it's looking like 2-0 has murdered Bazball, maybe the Poms should ask Scotland Yard to investigate this untimely death of the free spirited attacking Pommy batting.