Changes Vs. the Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes Vs. the Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leysy Days said:
If you were his Mgr you would be negligent in advising him to stay at the club instead of taking up one of the offers from rival clubs.

Perhaps, but as his manager you'd be even more negligent advising him to leave when he's still contracted for another year as the AFL frowns on such practices.

Carter said:
Liam McBean got 9 disposals in his 2nd game before being subbed off against Essendon.

Tyrone Vickery got 7 disposals in his 97th game against Adelaide last Friday.

If McBean is flaky then Vickery is fairy floss.

Fair comment I would of thought under the circumstances.

Carter said:
Liam McBean got 9 disposals in his 2nd game before being subbed off against Essendon.

Tyrone Vickery got 7 disposals in his 97th game against Adelaide last Friday.

If McBean is flaky then Vickery is fairy floss.

How many goals did they get?

As a key forward nearing 100 games in a clutch affair against a fellow finals contender I would've thought 3 goals might be adequate compensation for touching it only seven times.

Agreed? Good.

Now you tell me. How many goals did Vickery kick to justify seven possessions?

The changes made were for stop gap reasons. Lids was always going to come back in, but we lost a midfielder (Conca) and a defender (Grimes), so Thomas and Morris are as close as like for like as we could get. I would have personally liked to see McBean come in to add some more height to the forward line and let Vickery spend more time in the ruck, however Lids is probably a better forward option as he kicked 4 goals in his last outing. Basically when Edwards is right, probably next week, one of these guys, most likely Morris, will go straight back to the VFL and they'll shuffle the lines around to cover the other areas and let him transition through the midfield into the forward line. People here bleat on about consistency for the youngsters, a block of games and all that, in the current situation that simply isn't going to happen. The only bloke I could have seen them putting in and keeping in was Corey Ellis and he's injured. If he weren't he'd already be in the team along with McIntosh, Lambert and Lennon. From what I can recall about McBean's 2 senior appearances he was the sub in only one of them and was subbed off in the other because he wasn't affecting the scoreboard. He was also given 2 set shots and missed both of them, and that's been a knock on Griffiths. Maybe we'd prefer to let McBean learn the caper at VFL level (he's still awfully skinny) before throwing him to the wolves and thus eroding his confidence. I think Griffiths still has scars from his early days when he struggled in defence more weeks than he didn't.

So if we add the two metre Beanie to the senior side, someone who has yet to impact the score board n scrapes together a handful of possessions to the two metre Plasma another who doesn't impact the scoreboard much and also scrapes together a handful of possessions. This is supposed to improve our sides chances of winning exactly HOW ? Guess if the Griffinator wasn't out injured we could have bolstered the side even more by playing all three two metre talls who don't impact the score board enough or manage many possessions. Between the three of them they might contribute one superstar total of value.

Perhaps flaky is to harsh a word to describe the young fella, but so far in his couple of senior games n senior practice matches he's almost managed to do something but failed to do much of anything. Doesn't worry me at this stage, reckon he'll start making his mark next year, perhaps I'm at fault for not seeing the messianic light shining from the Beansters nether regions.

Simple issue is that our mids got hammered last week, we're still missing Shedda n there's been a massive load been placed on our main group of senior mids this year. Missing the mature bodies of Foley, Petterd, Conca, Thomas, even Lambert for most of the year has left far to few players to carry the heat all season. Lids n Shedda both out last week n the mid collapsed in a gibbering heap.
We get Lids back n bolster some of the hard around the contest grunt with Thomas n Morris purely to lighten the load / constant pressure on Cotch, Miles, Dusty etc, just spreading the weight a bit.

TigerMasochist said:
So if we add the two metre Beanie to the senior side, someone who has yet to impact the score board n scrapes together a handful of possessions to the two metre Plasma another who doesn't impact the scoreboard much and also scrapes together a handful of possessions. This is supposed to improve our sides chances of winning exactly HOW ? Guess if the Griffinator wasn't out injured we could have bolstered the side even more by playing all three two metre talls who don't impact the score board enough or manage many possessions. Between the three of them they might contribute one superstar total of value.

Perhaps flaky is to harsh a word to describe the young fella, but so far in his couple of senior games n senior practice matches he's almost managed to do something but failed to do much of anything. Doesn't worry me at this stage, reckon he'll start making his mark next year, perhaps I'm at fault for not seeing the messianic light shining from the Beansters nether regions.

Simple issue is that our mids got hammered last week, we're still missing Shedda n there's been a massive load been placed on our main group of senior mids this year. Missing the mature bodies of Foley, Petterd, Conca, Thomas, even Lambert for most of the year has left far to few players to carry the heat all season. Lids n Shedda both out last week n the mid collapsed in a gibbering heap.
We get Lids back n bolster some of the hard around the contest grunt with Thomas n Morris purely to lighten the load / constant pressure on Cotch, Miles, Dusty etc, just spreading the weight a bit.

You're forgetting the most important factor in all this.

Vickery has played almost 100 games with flashes.

Griffiths has played 50 games with flashes.

McBean has played 2 games with flashes.

You are incorrect to assume McBean will not improve.

Carter said:

McBean has played 1.5 games.

Carter said:
As a key forward nearing 100 games in a clutch affair against a fellow finals contender I would've thought 3 goals might be adequate compensation for touching it only seven times.

Agreed? Good.

So you reckon goals kicked should be in inverse proportion to possessions gained?

Carter said:

Actually TM didn't say he wouldn't improve. In fact he stated that he thinks he may blossom next year.

I hate to jump out of character here but I'm finding the McBean/Vickery is better than Vickery/McBean arguments really tiresome. It's not one or the other kids. There's no reason they can't be both played in the same side.

And for the perennial Vickery baggers, he's currently the best tall forward we've got after Jack. You can jazz it up all you like with "but Griffiths crashes more packs" but until Griff actually starts kicking clutch goals Vickery will be preferred. And until McBean (a) gets picked for a senior game and (b) kicks a goal in the seniors - then all he is is potential. He's 20 years and 11 months old - he's got plenty of time.

Griffiths and McBean may surpass Vickery but until that happens or he gets traded, he'll be in the side.

TigerMasochist said:

But just last month you advocated he get an opportunity:

TigerMasochist said:
Also think there needs to be an opportunity for the McBean, Menadue, Ellis, Elton, Astbury type players to get another run sometime this year, if their form n fitness warrants.

And back in may you suggested Beanie replace Ty;

TigerMasochist said:
And last year you said Beanie would be fine for this year;

TigerMasochist said:
Madonna n Beanie will be fine for next year, they're being educated properly in our own magoos team as the club has been wanting to do for some time.

And also back in May after Beanie debuted you advocated he continue getting a game :
TigerMasochist said:
Hopefully he's right to go for the Freo game, need either Griff or Ty fit to play so we can carry the Beanster for those few games he needs to acclimatise n get up to AFL tempo.

So what's your opinion TM? When should Liam get a game? What do you think he needs to do in the VFL to warrant a senior gig?

antman said:
I hate to jump out of character here but I'm finding the McBean/Vickery is better than Vickery/McBean arguments really tiresome. It's not one or the other kids. There's no reason they can't be both played in the same side.

And for the perennial Vickery baggers, he's currently the best tall forward we've got after Jack. You can jazz it up all you like with "but Griffiths crashes more packs" but until Griff actually starts kicking clutch goals Vickery will be preferred. And until McBean (a) gets picked for a senior game and (b) kicks a goal in the seniors - then all he is is potential. He's 20 years and 11 months old - he's got plenty of time.

Griffiths and McBean may surpass Vickery but until that happens or he gets traded, he'll be in the side.
Yep, I prefer 3 talls at this stage - its important to the structure of our forward line when Vickery gives Ivan a chop out in the ruck. Having only two talls means that when one of them moves into the ruck, it is much easier for the defenders to zone off on Jack.

Carter said:
Now where in the hell did you invent that statement from Carts?

Never once in any mention of the Beanie have I indicated or mentioned that he won't improve. Certainly don't think he's the messiah as some overhyped comments suggest, do believe he'll play a fair bit of senior footy next year. Could well be a good player for us, could also break down n never play again if *smile* goes wrong.

As of right now, I can understand n accept that the match committee are trying to bolster n improve our mid field with senior experienced match hardened players to ensure we actually make finals, rather than worrying about doubling our forward line with two similar types of key players who both aren't quite getting it right at senior level. Could easily be a massive negative at the moment having them both not quite achieving at the same time.

antman said:

Agree. Our preferred structure is three talls. Griff out, Hampson experiment a failure, McBean and vickery together makes sense for all the reasons.

Coburgtiger said:
Agree. Our preferred structure is three talls. Griff out, Hampson experiment a failure, McBean and vickery together makes sense for all the reasons.

Will be interesting to see if any of this group are traded out this year. Only Ty and Griffo have much currency.

tigertim said:
But just last month you advocated he get an opportunity:

And back in may you suggested Beanie replace Ty;

And also back in May after Beanie debuted you advocated he continue getting a game :
So what's your opinion TM? When should Liam get a game? What do you think he needs to do in the VFL to warrant a senior gig?
My opinion on the Beanie remains the same Tim. Still think he can become a player. Would have enjoyed seeing him get a few more games during the season n given a bit more opportunity to gain some senior experience. Don't think he has to do anything more than what he's already doing at VFL level to warrant a senior game, he's going quite well.

Not sure barring injury or a couple of complete stinkers from seniors that he will get a gig before the end of the season. We still haven't locked in a finals gig, so would expect the coaches to plonk for the most seasoned experienced senior players to win the necessary games,. Coaches view would generally be that it's big hard experienced footballers late in the year when young skinny kids get a bit tired n creaky.
I'm also still of the opinion that the Beanie is not quite the McJesus of the football world, unlike some who are getting all exuberant in their hate of people who haven't allowed him to walk on water just yet. He's had a couple of runs at seniors and failed to raise a wet fart, gone back to the magoos n done some consistent n quality work, probably deserves a spot back in the seniors but as stated, I think the coaches will push for the mature players n he'll probably miss out. No harm to his career or ability, he'll hopefully just go back n keep putting in quality work n command his spot next year.

TigerMasochist said:
Now where in the hell did you invent that statement from Carts?

Never once in any mention of the Beanie have I indicated or mentioned that he won't improve. Certainly don't think he's the messiah as some overhyped comments suggest, do believe he'll play a fair bit of senior footy next year. Could well be a good player for us, could also break down n never play again if sh!t goes wrong.

As of right now, I can understand n accept that the match committee are trying to bolster n improve our mid field with senior experienced match hardened players to ensure we actually make finals, rather than worrying about doubling our forward line with two similar types of key players who both aren't quite getting it right at senior level. Could easily be a massive negative at the moment having them both not quite achieving at the same time.

Why can't McBean improve the side now?

Status
Not open for further replies.