Changes Vs. the Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes Vs. the Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.
CC TIGER said:
I agree , like him or not I'm sure Astbury would be getting a gig somewhere on the ground if we saw him in our future plans, we've lost Grimes an they have 3 monster forwards an he dosent come in.....I'd delist Gordon but I won't be shocked if he or Lloyd stay on

disagree. Batchelor is playing on a tall each week. If we brought Astbury in we would effectively be playing 4 talls.
Grims has been playing mostly on small forwards. Morris is a straight replacement.

Brodders17 said:
disagree. Batchelor is playing on a tall each week. If we brought Astbury in we would effectively be playing 4 talls.
Grims has been playing mostly on small forwards. Morris is a straight replacement.
These blokes are all over 200 thou Brodders, not saying he should or shouldn't be in, just if he was in our plans this the game we would have played him

I dont think Morris and Thomas over McBean and Dea lessen our chance this week. they probably wont lessen our chances any week, but they are disappointing for 2 reasons IMO.
Dea has been kept on the list a long time. He continually plays well in the VFL and has strung a good set of games together. He is the perfect replacement for Grimes, but doesnt come in. He is surely gone at seasons end now if he is not even considered as backup for a guy he is similar qualities to.
as for McBean, we wouldnt necessarily be a better side with him in, but i reckon our best potential side has him in the FP, and if we want to give the flag a shake this year, i reckon we need our best potential side.

as far as those saying Hardwick is being conservative or looking out for his job, i reckon the opposite. the easy thing to do would have been to play the younger guys then have the excuse ready (ala Hird). he has no protection with this line up if we lose. they are a couple of gutsy ins from that perspective.

CC TIGER said:
These blokes are all over 200 thou Brodders, not saying he should or shouldn't be in, just if he was in our plans this the game we would have played him

weve continually rolled the dice with Batchelor this year, and i expect it continue through the finals. (not having Grimes may hurt though.)

Brodders17 said:
as far as those saying Hardwick is being conservative or looking out for his job, i reckon the opposite. the easy thing to do would have been to play the younger guys then have the excuse ready (ala Hird). he has no protection with this line up if we lose. they are a couple of gutsy ins from that perspective.

Can't agree. Entrusting your youngsters to do the job is the hard decision. Hardwick is being very conservative and I have no doubt there's an element of looking out for his job going on here.

tigerlove said:
Can't agree. Entrusting your youngsters to do the job is the hard decision. Hardwick is being very conservative and I have no doubt there's an element of looking out for his job going on here.

Hardwick's job right now is to get us into the finals, as highly placed as possible. I've got no problem with him picking the strongest side available week to week to do that.

The Board have resigned Dimma only this year so they ain't gonna throw him under a bus now. To suggest he's "looking after his job" is nonsense.

He's also shown that if the youngsters come in and PERFORM - they keep getting picked. Kam Mac, Lambert and Lennon for example. Those that came in and don't perform - back down they go. This has been the clear pattern this year. Young players will get their chance and if they perform, they'll stay up.

tigerlove said:

I thought Hardwick is contracted for next year - therefore there is NO WAY he is making decisions with his contract in mind because there is NO WAY the club will sack him at the end of this year, a year short - even if by some miracle we don't play finals (and it will take a miracle for us not to make it)

......you can see I am a little more relaxed on here than some and am enjoying our march to the finals ;D

antman said:
Hardwick's job right now is to get us into the finals, as highly placed as possible. I've got no problem with him picking the strongest side available week to week to do that.

The Board have resigned Dimma only this year so they ain't gonna throw him under a bus now. To suggest he's "looking after his job" is nonsense.

He's also shown that if the youngsters come in and PERFORM - they keep getting picked. Kam Mac, Lambert and Lennon for example. Those that came in and don't perform - back down they go. This has been the clear pattern this year. Young players will get their chance and if they perform, they'll stay up.

I would love to know Hardwick's thinking but have to agree, the protecting his job call is ludicrous. I like your explanation of the way young players break in, seems logical and fits the evidence. (If Arnot could have had Lambert's stats - not a big jump - I'd prefer it was him). Matt Thomas is not the future, but a wombat to dig in and give Miles a chop out might be a handy thing this September. Best to find out now. I can't help when it comes to the star-jump king. Hardwick sees something, I can't imagine what it is.

KnightersRevenge said:
I would love to know Hardwick's thinking but have to agree, the protecting his job call is ludicrous. I like your explanation of the way young players break in, seems logical and fits the evidence. (If Arnot could have had Lambert's stats - not a big jump - I'd prefer it was him). Matt Thomas is not the future, but a wombat to dig in and give Miles a chop out might be a handy thing this September. Best to find out now. I can't help when it comes to the star-jump king. Hardwick sees something, I can't imagine what it is.

Yeah Knighter. There are always things we can't know not being in the inner sanctum. Morris would seem to be coming in for Grimesy - Dea is clearly a VFL flat tracker but not an AFL er - why, we don't know.

Dimma definitely has firm ideas of the type of player he wants in certain positions.

Leysy's not a Dea fan but him and McBean had to play this week.

Spots opened up in exactly their roles and they weren't picked.

When you are performing head and shoulders above your peers and get overlooked when your role is available it makes it impossible for the coaching staff to preach good form will be rewarded for a return to those they demote.

Dangerous territory for club harmony and culture.

Leysy Days said:

When you are performing head and shoulders above your peers and get overlooked when your role is available it makes it impossible for the coaching staff to preach good form will be rewarded for a return to those they demote.

brilliantly said

The selection of Thomas and Morris means the careers of dea and mcbean of Richmond are over.

If mcbean can't get a game now, with griff out, Hampson dropped and vickery struggling he never will.

My bean has dominated the vfl, while we the RFC have a big weakness kicking goals

I agree with leysy, according to Dimma their performance in the vfl is completely irrelevant .

I have been saying this for the last month, McLean should pack his bags and leave punt road, as he is wasting his career at a club that doesn't understand his talent .

Leysy Days said:

Well said. VFL form should be rewarded.

JR8 said:
brilliantly said

At 10.30pm on a Sat. That is some compliment to leysy. ;D

nikolasmia said:
The selection of Thomas and Morris means the careers of dea and mcbean of Richmond are over.

If mcbean can't get a game now, with griff out, Hampson dropped and vickery struggling he never will.

My bean has dominated the vfl, while we the RFC have a big weakness kicking goals

I agree with leysy, according to Dimma their performance in the vfl is completely irrelevant .

I have been saying this for the last month, McLean should pack his bags and leave punt road, as he is wasting his career at a club that doesn't understand his talent .

Yeah, he's 202cm and 20 years of age, kicked bags upon bags in the twos and under every circumstance cant crack a game in a side ctrying out for potency up forward.

If you were his Mgr you would be negligent in advising him to stay at the club instead of taking up one of the offers from rival clubs.

The other point.

Where does it leave Clarke when he talks to his players on the cusp.

"Show your ahead of this level young fella, I know you are, you know you are, keep it up and you will get your chance....."

Oh Wait...

antman said:

Bloody hilarious some of the punters bleating about us not playing a bunch of flaky youngsters who have yet to put together a decent performance at senior level.

Just in case some have forgotten, we haven't locked in a finals slot just yet.

We've had a batch of injury issues to a large group of mid range players, got some handy youngsters been given a look and the ones who've performed have been retained in the side, while a few were unlucky enough to cop injuries which stuffed their chances.
We got completely smashed in the mid field n grunt work last week, which means we either simply had a team brain fart, or quite likely our mids are feeling the strain from not having that second tier hardened support during the year. Thomas plays hard arsed mid field grunt n Stevie FFS plays annoying mad *smile* somewhere around where the ball is. Maybe doesn't get much of it or do much beyond make a few opponents look over the shoulder n rush things, but sometimes it's enough to help.

First job for the coaches n team is to get to the finals, second job is to achieve as high as possible. Third job is to build the team into a strong n consistent a unit that is competitive in every game possible n doesn't just simply wilt n roll over when some heat comes on, especially in finals.

Was only a couple of years ago that we'd be throwing virtually every young draftee straight in at the coal face of senior footy n hoping they could survive, that we weren't simply throwing them under the AFL bus. From my perspective there's nothing wrong with letting the youngsters grow to maturity in the ressies, develop the game structures, their self belief and their bodies for the rigours of AFL. without them having to cop all the angst n hype that goes with being a saviour for a mediocre team.
Will be no surprise at all for the youngsters like Beanie, Madonna, Mena, C.Ellis n a couple of others to grab their places in a quality senior side next year, as long as they continue to do the core requirements, they have enough talent to push a bunch of fringe players out sideways.

Games are won & lost in the midfield. A back line will leak due to constant penetrations from a poor performing mid field. Lids out last week & you know the score. He is back & with Thomas included it has to have more GRUNT. A indicator to our poor goal kicking total over quite a few weeks is how many Jack has slotted in that time. Not many as the Sherrin comes to him via Oodnadatta most of the times. Suns will test our resolve tomorrow without doubt as they are as not as bad as their low place on the ladder. Tomorrow is a signature 2015 day for the Tiger Pride. Time to put up or shut up. Not the latter I hope.

TigerMasochist said:
Bloody hilarious some of the punters bleating about us not playing a bunch of flaky youngsters who have yet to put together a decent performance at senior level.

Just in case some have forgotten, we haven't locked in a finals slot just yet.

Its pretty hard to put together a performance at senior level if you've never been given a chance to put together four quarters at senior level.

McBean has been allowed two games at AFL level, and been the sub in both. Not sure how he can be expected to 'put together a game' without being given the opportunity to.

Also, we wanna play these guys so that we can make these finals, not because we think we already have.

I'm genuinely concerned we will kick ten goals or less tomorrow, and that will be the reason we lose to gold coast. Beanie would go a long way towards addressing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.