Changes Vs. the Suns | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes Vs. the Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope Morris and Thomas have blinders so i can eat the sock i have in my mouth. if they don't, it will be spat out.

DirtyDogTiger said:
I wonder if we could try houli as on baller or fwd pocket.
He's got talent but I can only expect a heart attack if he stays near the opposition goals
If we move him forward who do we use to give us some run and carry out of the backline .

69 vintage said:
If we move him forward who do we use to give us some run and carry out of the backline .

Deledio is about the only viable option to give us run n carry out of the backline.
Trouble is we need him elsewhere.
Might be an option on game day though if Batch is having one of his off days in a pressure game.

I am just disappointed that we seem to have picked the in and under stodgy football style.

Thomas has played very good VFL footy this year and we know he can play at this level, especially on soft decks. There is no doubt in my mind that despite the odd brain fade Morris' best football is in the backline. He has done jobs for us in the past on good small forwards , but they aren't the future

I feel for Dea and McBean however who have put their hands up in the VFL , especially Matt Dea who will probably win the VFL B&F by the length of the straight.

We have to keep the ball inside because we don't have the weapons outside in this team. I expect a GWS style game with us hopefully kicking straighter.

Some people are missing the only significant change this week:

Grimes for Deledio - big win in attack! Slight drop in defence with Newy.

We're more attacking than last week. It's just one 2 possession player to replace 2 possession Hampson. It draws attention, but Hardwick has gone with a forward line of Deledio, Lloyd, and Lennon as the mediums. That's one of our 'smartest' for the year don't forget.

There's 21 other players to build the game plan around, it's not Morris & The Revolution singing Let's Go Crazy...

This week should be about percentage + restoring some of that intimidation aura we generated after the Hawthorn win. That aura is going to be important come finals. I think Hardwick has a different perspective than most and we have to take the good with the bad, as the end result is worth the occasional tried-and-true poor selection at player #22.

Chimptastic said:

We're more attacking than last week. The only frustration is Morris in for Hampson (nil all draw with their 2-4 possession games), when it could've been more rewarding to go McBean. But it's just one player and it's to replace Hampson. It draws attention, but Hardwick has gone with a forward line of Deledio, Lloyd, and Lennon as the mediums. That's one of our 'smartest' for the year don't forget.

There's 21 other players to build the game plan around, it's not Morris & The Revolution singing Let's Go Crazy...

This week should be about percentage + restoring some of that intimidation aura we generated after the Hawthorn win. That aura is going to be important come finals. I think Hardwick has a different perspective than most and we have to take the good with the bad.

Good balanced post Chimpa.

Agree with most of that but I don't think we'll smash the Suns - and I think given our game styles and forward structures big wins are unlikely. Personally I don't have a problem with that - I'll take the guaranteed four points every time over a team that smashes weak sides but is flakey against strong sides, even if percentage suffers.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Chimpa isn't so much the personnel (although McBean deserves a gig) but the clear intent to play a high press.

We are playing only three talls forward of D50 which suggests to me we are manning the high press with the likes of Morris and Newman to lock the ball in.

You don't take many contested grabs or marks on the lead in a clogged forward line, hence the McBean farce.

Watch us kick 7.17 tomorrow. I hope it doesn't happen, but I can see Dimma doubling down on what he tried last week when he should be happy to play ebb and flow footy against GC and exploit the forward space that would provide.

I just think we're setting ourselves up for more frustration tomorrow.

Whoever was advising Dimma on the successful counter style has been told to shut up.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Morris is there purely to stop someone else in the opposition

A warehouse needs high reach forklifts, power forklifts, and trucks.
A good footy team is the same

Morris and Thomas to the rescue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqrjlqKhoQ

PS Funnily enough the clips are marked "Angry Tiger 007". Seems Matty Dea is pi$$ed off too.

Carter said:
Chimpa isn't so much the personnel (although McBean deserves a gig) but the clear intent to play a high press.

We are playing only three talls forward of D50 which suggests to me we are manning the high press with the likes of Morris and Newman to lock the ball in.

You don't take many contested grabs or marks on the lead in a clogged forward line, hence the McBean farce.

Watch us kick 7.17 tomorrow. I hope it doesn't happen, but I can see Dimma doubling down on what he tried last week when he should be happy to play ebb and flow footy against GC and exploit the forward space that would provide.

I just think we're setting ourselves up for more frustration tomorrow.

Whoever was advising Dimma on the successful counter style has been told to shut up.
Any reason why we can't kick 17.7?

Tigers of Old said:
Add McDonough, Gordon & Astbury (trade).

Don't think any of these players will be on the list next season.
I agree , like him or not I'm sure Astbury would be getting a gig somewhere on the ground if we saw him in our future plans, we've lost Grimes an they have 3 monster forwards an he dosent come in.....I'd delist Gordon but I won't be shocked if he or Lloyd stay on

Chimptastic said:

We're more attacking than last week. It's just one 2 possession player to replace 2 possession Hampson. It draws attention, but Hardwick has gone with a forward line of Deledio, Lloyd, and Lennon as the mediums. That's one of our 'smartest' for the year don't forget.

This week should be about percentage + restoring some of that intimidation aura we generated after the Hawthorn win. That aura is going to be important come finals. I think Hardwick has a different perspective than most and we have to take the good with the bad, as the end result is worth the occasional tried-and-true poor selection at player #22.

agree

I see Thomas for Conca a fair call given finals are close

I woud have liked Astbury in to replace Grimes in defence to give him a few games - he could be handy against Cloke and more so against North to give us that extra height in defence although has Dimma earmarked Morris for Elliot and Harvey down the track.

We have clearly decided to go shorter hence the Bean omission and I not convinced Bean is the right call for a finals game yet - and with 4 games left - all the planning now is to get the team set for finals

year of the tiger said:
agree

I see Thomas for Conca a fair call given finals are close

I woud have liked Astbury in to replace Grimes in defence to give him a few games - he could be handy against Cloke and more so against North to give us that extra height in defence although has Dimma earmarked Morris for Elliot and Harvey down the track.

We have clearly decided to go shorter hence the Bean omission and I not convinced Bean is the right call for a finals game yet - and with 4 games left - all the planning now is to get the team set for finals

Our planning at this stage should be to make the finals instead of planning for the finals. 4 tough weeks coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies.