Changes Rd 13 v Sydney | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes Rd 13 v Sydney

lamb22 said:
I think Maric is a good match for the Sydney rucks, but I think you are on to something.

Sooner rather than later we need a more athletic ruck presence. Hampson however is not the answer. If say Pendlebury is matter, Hampson is anti matter. Just does the wrong thing at the wrong time too often.

I actually thought we looked better when Griff or Ty rucked against NicNat.

When we play against an athletic ruck, give Ivan a rest and bring in Beanie and rotate Ty, Ben and Liam through forward and ruck.

All we needed to was put players at 3 and 9 o'clock to tackle the player who got the 'yes it will happen' backwards tap. Ivan probably shouldn't have made any jump motion, as it wasn't worth it, and just been ready to lay a tackle. Was a well thought out ruck move to 'all but' ensure the Cokers got first use of the ball.

Rancey18 said:
4 wins in a row prior to an off night where we went down by 20 pts against a pretty good side. Wouldnt be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. No need for wholesale changes just yet.

Yeah but that's not the PRE way. Panic panic panic, drop them all regardless of whose available or playing well in the Magoos then sack Hardwick for good measure.

antman said:
Yeah but that's not the PRE way. Panic panic panic, drop them all regardless of whose available or playing well in the Magoos then sack Hardwick for good measure.
Haha yeah I know, have to try and fly the flag I suppose to balance out some of the views on here!

Wasn't impressed with Hunt's game (above and beyond th general 'unimpressedness I feel about Friday night's game). I hope he will be dropped for the Sydney game.

Tigers of Old said:
Didn't offer much in the VFL Carts. Just curious on what basis would he be promoted?
Don't think that will happen.

McDonough best chance to come in prob for CEllis.

There is no empirical basis at all, ToO.

I just don't like Vickery and Griffiths in the same 22.

Too much scope for walks in the park, cups of tea, gazing at seagulls while there is a game on.

In all seriousness, I reckon Vickery and Griff play similar roles and upset the balance of the side.

McBean offers something different to Jack and these two.

We haven't gone wrong with him in the team so far eh?

And finally - if Newmo gets a call up you can throw VFL form out the *smile*' window as a basis for selection at Punt Rd ;D

I agree Griff and Vickery in the same 22 will fail more often than not unless Vickery can make first ruck his own.

In: Cachia - pity he's not a rookie, exactly the bloke we need going by his recent VFL performances.

Out: Ellis(inj), Menadue (omit), Maric (cooked)
In: McDonough (cmon), McBean (canlead), Newman (sub)

Tigers of Old said:
Didn't offer much in the VFL Carts. Just curious on what basis would he be promoted?
Don't think that will happen.

McDonough best chance to come in prob for CEllis.

I don't get to see the magoos but based on what I have seen I don't understand the McDonough love. I felt the same about Conca for a long time and bar a few good games he still struggles to make the side too.

Vickery still looks to avoid body contact in contested marking situations. We can't afford a big man that does that. Griff at least halves contests though he was ineffectual Friday night. (Did some good work in the rucks and his second an third efforts leave Vic for dead).

out> ellis and menadue
in > newmann and mcdonough

newmann for one game (big mature body) against swans.

Watched Griffo closely on Friday night thought he gets in the wrong position too often , he was standing in the high forward pockets when we went inside 50.
Had a chance to lead up at the ball when Vickery was kicking out of the backline but instead ran away from the contest.
Its almost like he doesn't want to take the responsibility if he drops the mark.
I hope the coaching staff are not instructing him to be some kind of decoy.
Anyone else notice this ?

antman said:
That was my impression too, ant. For whatever reason most of the side had an off night on Friday. There's no need to go making wholesale changes. It was mostly the same side that won their previous 4 games on the trot. The only change will probably be C. Ellis for someone like Newman, Dea or McDonough.

Been a VERY long time since we knocked off the Swans at the SCG (last year, last round was at Homebush). Whomever comes in Friday night, we cant afford another center clearance smashing like that again. And when we did win the off foray forward we put it right on a West Coast jumper.

One or two changes wont cut it, without taking anything away from WC, we simply played poorly, poor skills, poor choices and had at least 10 down on form from the previous month.

Friday will show how far this team has come, bounce back or back into our old ways???

Tiger Pops said:
Been a VERY long time since we knocked off the Swans at the SCG (last year, last round was at Homebush). Whomever comes in Friday night, we cant afford another center clearance smashing like that again. And when we did win the off foray forward we put it right on a West Coast jumper.

One or two changes wont cut it, without taking anything away from WC, we simply played poorly, poor skills, poor choices and had at least 10 down on form from the previous month.

Friday will show how far this team has come, bounce back or back into our old ways???
Aside from Dusty really, nearly everyone had a poor night. We're not going to drop 21 players, we don't even have 21 to replace them with. C. Ellis is a forced out. I'd personally like to see Morris dropped, but I know that won't happen. Who else do you suggest and who is going to replace them? I didn't think the VFL were as bad as others here do, but there weren't a lot of blokes saying 'pick me!' on their performances, though.

hies not a mid, he is not a half back, his is you classic young forward flank. - Mcdonough - give him 80+ min, lets see what he can offer at the feet of the talls. Mcdonough pass mark is 12 disposals, 4 tackles, a hand full of 1%'s, kicks 2 goals and works well to zone the ball inside 50. Thats it.

We ALL know Morris will not be dropped so lets use these two smalls in tandem and lets see what we can do.

Actually think the SCG and Mike the Pyke are circumstances that suit big Maric. Not sure I'd be dropping or resting him this week. He has just had a freshen up didn't he?

This is the sort of game that wholesale changes are not appropriate. This team sliced up Freo and few before them. Would like to see Morris and C.Ellis the only outs (perhaps one of Griff or Vickery for a small if weather dictates) for McDonough and Lloyd - Lloyd the sub perhaps for McDonough or as required.

Bill Haverchuck said:
McDonough and lambert highlights on rfc site , not sure how much can be read into that.
I get the impression Dimma likes Lambert, it's a case of who is he prepared to drop to fit him in. Hint: it won't be Morris.

Is Longmire trying to be cute, he said "I think they've had discussions about playing three talls in the past and they've certainly been able to come in and play those roles" and apparently said the Tigers' different options will certainly pose problems for his experienced defence. Could he be talking this up having the three talls?

I don't think this is the ground to have 3 talls in the forward line. Could be wrong, but that's how it seemed when I was there some years ago. Would like to know if Swans have had much success with the three talls of Buddy, Goodes and Tippett at SCG - haven't studied it, but would be intrigued as it doesn't seem a big enough ground - the centre sq is closer to the 50m arc there than most grounds.