changes for next week | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

changes for next week

Leysy Days said:
Agree that we lack movement, but ask yourself this - Why is it always McGuane making these clangers. No-one else gets blatantly run down like he did at Geelong after walking with the ball like a Sunday stroll.

As Pebsy said other teams zone off him & let him have the ball & then sweat on the turnover. Its Gaspar all over. He doesnt have the confidence or skill to pick out a leading target. He only goes sideways & only then if the guy is well in the clear. So he holds onto the ball, pressure builds, opposition slowly close in & bang, error & they are strolling in for an easy goal.
So why is it every other side who get into trouble in their backline have no problem of finding someone on their own eventually.Oh thats right because they take on the responsabilty themselves by gut running to get on their own.Pretty easy on here to blame the easy targets instead of where the real problem lies.

Geez PRE has some apologists for battlers - Jackson & McGuane are probably the biggest goers in the side but their decision making and disposal are simply not good enough. Same goes for Polo, same for Rance, same for White. Super efforts but poor results.

You would think we must be doing OK with all the support for so many battlers. What are we 0-8? How's are record over the past few years? Surely there is a reason. Surely some of the players are not good enough.

Just ask yourself who you feel comfortable with while in possession inside the defensive 50:

For me yesterday it was:

Deledio
Newman
Webberley
Moore
Thursfield
Farmer
Tuck
McGuane

I naturally tense up when our key defenders have the ball, because of their history of turning it over, or putting team mates under pressure. I really only feel comfortable when one of the top 3 on that list have the ball inside defensive 50 (I know Webberley is new, but I like his composure and long kicks out of defence).

McGuane is hard at it, is desperate defensively, is a pretty good spoiler, but is a complete liability when in defense. A sub-par Gaspar (sorry) and not the answer long term IMO.

Big Cat Lover said:
Geez PRE has some apologists for battlers - Jackson & McGuane are probably the biggest goers in the side but their decision making and disposal are simply not good enough. Same goes for Polo, same for Rance, same for White. Super efforts but poor results.

You would think we must be doing OK with all the support for so many battlers. What are we 0-8? How's are record over the past few years? Surely there is a reason. Surely some of the players are not good enough.
Ask yourself this.Did Mcguane do his job yesterday?

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:

No - are you saying his job only involves stopping his opponent? What were his opponents stats?

Do conceding goals from stupid errors and putting teammates under pressure fall under his job description - if yes well he performed admirably.

Big Cat Lover said:
No - are you saying his job only involves stopping his opponent? What were his opponents stats?

Do conceding goals from stupid errors and putting teammates under pressure fall under his job description - if yes well he performed admirably.
No?lol.How many did Franklin kick again?

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:

I dunno. He cost us the game. Was that in his job description?

Let's face it. McGuane is a battler. Sure he played ok to hold Franklin to 2 goals but Franklin is his own enemy sometimes. The thing is, should we sit back and just accept that McGuane is our solution, or do we say, let's find ourselves someone who has the same defensive man-on-man potential but can also dispose well and make the right decisions quickly when he has the ball. It's not a coincidence that players with lack of skill are often the ones who appear to try the hardest. That's how they overcome their weaknesses but it can only take you so far. McGuane has a spot in the team, and I think he should at the moment, but that shouldn't stop us from trying to find an upgrade as one of our more urgent requirements for the future.

Big Cat Lover said:

have you seen the game yet?

Pretty much with GoodOne here.

We don't have any better than McGuane. He's a very good negator and stops most of his opponents. He deserves his place in the team.

When we finally have someone that can do what Muscles can plus be good at the things McGuane struggles with, then we can start moaning.

The amount of angst people throw towards McGuane when there is no other bloody alternative at the moment is amazing. If we had a natural replacement, then I could understand the constant bitching, but we don't.

Baloo said:
Pretty much with GoodOne here.

We don't have any better than McGuane. He's a very good negator and stops most of his opponents. He deserves his place in the team.

When we finally have someone that can do what Muscles can plus be good at the things McGuane struggles with, then we can start moaning.

The amount of angst people throw towards McGuane when there is no other bloody alternative at the moment is amazing. If we had a natural replacement, then I could understand the constant b!tching, but we don't.

Agreed.

Ins: Cousins, Polo, Morton ( we need him back, like graham, he might thrive at AFL)
Outs: Rance, Jackson (susp), Farmer