CC on his last legs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CC on his last legs?

the claw said:
true or not i dont know and would take anything wallace says atm with a grain of salt, but wallace has regularly said he had little to do with list management and recruiting. ithink there is some truth in this as most clubs operate along these lines.

any way its irrelevant cc has a job to do did he do it and did he do it well. clearly not the buck stops with him. none of this wallace made me do it *smile* washes with me. if he let wallace sway him tough the buck still stops at his door.
The whole football dept should have a say on who stays and who goes.The final say should be up to the coach if there is a split within.The only situation where a coach gets his way is when it comes to recycled,s and trades.

rosy23 said:
What is the '08 draft. The one done at the end of '07 for '08 or the one done at the end of '08 for '09? Which players are you referring to and do you think it's worthwhile giving them a bit more chance to develop before writing them off?

Don't get too obsessed with the past to look forward to the future Barnzy. :grouphug
The decision last year to take Hislop and Thompson with picks in the 3rd and 4th round doesn't look great, as both looked equally slow at their old clubs. The decision to take Mcmahon with our 2nd round pick in 07 was also really poor, as was the decision not to take the max no of rookies available in the same draft.
Vickery was a gift at 9. Post was a good selection, if a widely predictable one.
Cameron ran Melb recruiting before coming to us. His reputation at this stage of his career is like my bed.

TOT70 said:
Are you wanting to discuss something sensibly or do you just want to bag?

You made a point about CC drafting only 2 18 year-olds last year, I pointed out that it was actually 4 and that they already had another. My point is that an 18 year-old is an 18 year-old until he turns 19. When and how he got on the list is irrelevant.

Are you trying to say that not enough National Draft picks were used on 18 year-olds in the 2008 Draft? If you are indeed trying to say that, then that is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that 2 18 year-olds is not very many but that this was corrected somewhat in the rookie draft.

My opinion is also that drafting a motzer of 18 year olds each year is counter-productive because you have to wait five years to find out if they can play or not so you have to balance your recruiting, but that is simply my opinion, which others are welcome to respond to.

It is possible to express an opinion without bagging someone.

Spot on, the thing we do not need is a huge block of players with 2-3 year age different in 10 years time.

Massai said:
Spot on, the thing we do not need is a huge block of players with 2-3 year age different in 10 years time.

The only way that happens is if you hang on to everyone to long like, ah, Richmond.

Got to cut them quicker.

momentai said:
Cameron ran Melb recruiting before coming to us. His reputation at this stage of his career is like my bed.

His record is very poor and I'm very concerned he is not up to it. However if we can now develop our list as well as other clubs like the Crows then our recruiting in the draft won't be much of an issue.

one good thing has come out of this thread. cc now knows he has got legs ive heard he cant see them because of his gut. :rofl

the claw said:
one good thing has come out of this thread. cc now knows he has got legs ive heard he cant see them because of his gut. :rofl
Like all big sydchrome tools they need a big verander

MB78 said:
His record is very poor and I'm very concerned he is not up to it. However if we can now develop our list as well as other clubs like the Crows then our recruiting in the draft won't be much of an issue.

Looking forward to eating my words, but CC's recruitment is looking more and more like our recruitment of Danny Frawley - picked from the lower echelons mediocrity :mad:

Barnzy said:
Nahas was drafted from the VFL and you left out McMahon. Thomson and Hislop have done next to nothing as we speak and so far proven why their clubs let them go so easily/delisted them. Morton has really only been our trading success story, maybe the Simmonds deal was good but it doesn't really help us now since he's past it. I disagree with you though, trading isn't a necessity at all - see Adelaide. You just have to make the most of your picks in the draft and pick the best avaliable young talent. Picking up other clubs discards is not a great way to advance your list in our situation IMO and it's one of the main reasons we're in this mess as you say. Think it's best for us to stay right away from trading for players unless it's a very, very good deal for us.

You've missed my point. The point is at least we are picking up youngsters rather than 26yo's. They have far more chance of improving and providing for the long-term for when we are hopefully competitive again. I wasn't judging on how well Thomson and Hislop will go in the future, although I think Thomson will prove to be a great pickup. As far as I am concerned Nahas is a recycled player. Just because he wasnt an AFL player, he was a mature player when we recruited him and ignored by all AFL clubs. But yes we did only rookie him. I think trading is a necessity at times. I have no problems with trading for 20yo's as long as you are not trading your first couple of rounds and as long as you are picking up draft picks elsehwere maybe through a player trade or two. Adelaide, are not one generally for trading away picks but in 2007 they traded a pick 28 for Brad Symes and Brad Moran for Pick 37 , however they also traded two players for 2nd rounders that year. But speaking of Adelaide, whilst they have remained relatively competitive their last premiership was 11 tears ago.. Maybe you could argue that may have been different if they did at times strategically trade that extra experienced player or two in place of a youngster or two.

TOT70 said:
Too many coaches coming and going without seeing out their plans, too many adminstrators coming and going, too many boom recruits who lasted only a year or two, too many recycled players who did nothing, too many kids who did nothing, too many new directions with all the accompanying sackings, too many false starts, too much wasted money paying people out, too many factions jostling for power, too many people lost to the club. They are the goldfish of the AFL, losing all memory of the past every few years.

What it needs more than anything else is stability, a clear plan and the intestinal fortitude to stick to it. Sacking everyone in sight again won't help, especially if they require massive payouts to convince them to leave.

have to say TOT, you are somewhat changing the subject here, barnzys point is a valid one, we should really have made the call on the older players 2 years ago, when wallace reassessed his 5 year plan and indicated that our list wasn't good enough and we would need at least 7 years to challenge, when deledio got to a mature age. At that point, we should have traded for picks spent the next 2 years topping up via the national draft.

as to your points above, i disagree, how can you say we have had too many coaches coming and going, we have only had 2 coaches and there hasn't been that much change at board/president level in the last 10 years, and all players bar Richo were picked up under those two coaches.. So i struggle to see how bringing what we were doing in say the bartlett era has to do with our current situation. If anything, we went the other way and in order to appear to be seen as a stable club, kept people Frawley,Miller,Wallace on for two long, when we should have just called it and sacked them.. Who cares what kind of club we are seen as.. Stability, and a clear plan, and intestinal fortitude is only good if you have the right plan, and people executing it.. otherwise it is just lunacy and it doesn't help.

and thats just my opinion

GoodOne said:
Recycling is a necessity. The problem isnt recycling per say, its who we have been recycling. In the past most of our recycling has been for players in their mid-20s, often higher with the belief that we only need to top up. Some of this perceived need has been because of the poor list management that created a gaping hole in a a large age group. However, in recent years think we have vastly improved our recycling policy. Sure a couple of doubts but on the whole we have started targetting younger players 20yo or thereabouts. These are YOUNG players who have potential to improve. Morton, Thompson, Hislop, Nahas as opposed to Biddiscombe, Fleming, Houlihan, Holland, Hudson, Kingsley, Nicholls, Bowden, Sziller and the rest.
Did we have holland? gee i can't remember that... i must be getting old
What about Johnson, Brown, Polak, Gaspar, Simmonds, Stafford, Cameron, Broderick(okay stretcing a little with that one) they were all good recycled pickups.

MB78 said:

Melbourne made the finals consistently when he was recruiting manager. He also had a knack for picking for needs quite well. Melbourne's problem in the last 2 years has been the decline in their top echelon but he wasn't the List Mgr.

With a 5 year deal he won't be going anywhere in the short term,seems to be going okay in some areas,recruiting questionable.

I think recruiting is a small part of what we have done wrong in the past decade. The major part of our problem has been player development. To continue to see the likes of Fiora, Hall and Tivendale (and more recently, Edwards, Will and McGuane) come back each year with no muscle and physical strength development has been very frustrating.

Like most clubs, we will recycle. Like most, we will have a +-50% strike rate. What we cannot seem to do - and clubs like Sydney and Crows are very good at - is take a half decent player, and turn them into a gun.

I am pleased the focus is shifting to these areas - pretty obvious really in a draft-constrained culture. Neil Craig saw this as a key to success several years ago.

lukeanddad said:
I think recruiting is a small part of what we have done wrong in the past decade.

And we have a new clubhouse leader in the PRE "Understatement of 2009" Open.

SCOOP said:
And we have a new clubhouse leader in the PRE "Understatement of 2009" Open.

C'mon scoop qoute the whole thing -

I also agree Development is the larger issue here.

A lot of our kids who were picked were also rated by other clubs. Its our development that is stopping them making it.

Barnzy said:
The questions have to be asked, why didn't CC see this and take the right path? Possibly, Wally might've wanted some more top ups (which he got) but we only took 2 18 year old's...staggers me. Surely CC must be on his last legs and if he stuffs this draft up I'm sure he will be out the door.

I think your a bit harsh, laying all the blame at the feet of CC. No doubt he was working to a brief from Wallace and the rest of the footy department based on needs. There is no doubt that Wallace was recruiting with a view to his next contract not the long term future of the footy club, but the indicators are that there is certainly a vastly different strategy in place under Beavis, so lets see how we go this year before we start calling for yet another sacking.

Tha place is just starting to come together, lets not start dismantling it before the foundations have dried.