CC on his last legs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CC on his last legs?

At the very least, supporters should be aware of how losing every week impairs your judgement.

It can make you extremely biased, in both a negative and positive way, because your emotions and disillusionment towards the club are stockpiling.

We should at least agree that most of our opinions are influenced by more emotion than teams that are doing OK, and hence their average supporter is more calm and can comment with less clouding their judgement than our average supporter.

Doesn't apply for everyone... but you must admit, it would be more common for our supporters to carry on - and with good reason!

rockstar_tiger said:
At the very least, supporters should be aware of how losing every week impairs your judgement.

It can make you extremely biased, in both a negative and positive way, because your emotions and disillusionment towards the club are stockpiling.

We should at least agree that most of our opinions are influenced by more emotion than teams that are doing OK, and hence their average supporter is more calm and can comment with less clouding their judgement than our average supporter.

Doesn't apply for everyone... but you must admit, it would be more common for our supporters to carry on - and with good reason!
:grouphug Group hug time according to the roxta! We do need to be gentle with each other in these desperately turbulent waters! Go Tiges.

hopper said:
:grouphug Group hug time according to the roxta! We do need to be gentle with each other in these desperately turbulent waters! Go Tiges.

Must of cooled off up there Hippity - you going around hugging and stuff? ;D

Tigerbob said:
For an older man, you sure are childish. Just like your obsession with having a go at Leysey on the General board all of last year. Biggest case of stalking I have seen. What, still upset someone stuck up for him from the harrassment?

I'm sorry Bobby, it is childish of me. How do you know I'm an older man anyway, we haven't met.

How is your wife Leysy going anyway?

TOT70 said:
Jamar's last ten games are close to the only good games he has ever played, Sylvia has been either injured or suspended much of the time, Rivers and Moloney likewise always injured, Bartram OK but with suspect desposal, Warnock has been not much more than a depth player for several years, Martin is a classic in-betweener, not tall enough to ruck, not skilful enough to do anything else. The only one that I am being harsh on is Sylvia, he has A-grade potential but has always had z-grade application.

Players like this are invaluable if you can get enough A-graders around them.

Martin is not invaluable. Bartram is not invaluable. Warnock I don't know much about, other than he is the right build for a KPD. Let's not get carried away by a few early season wins. They appear to have drafted some talent in the last couple of years but players like Dunn & Martin are not invaluable.

Barnzy said:
I classify a good '3rd tall' as having good foot skills, good awareness and a good football brain. They need something extra because they aren't the 1st ones to get the big jobs. Someone like a Sam Gilbert or Ryan Hargrave who don't necessarily have a big defensive job but sets up a lot of attacks. I sadly just can't see McGuane in that role. Currently Moore is probably the playing the 3rd tall roll for us and while he isn't perfect at it, he would be better than McGuane IMO.

Same goes for Jackson in a different way. Even if better players come on, as soon as he gets the ball he's still going to be a liablity because of his deficiencies. A lesser role won't change that fact.
Add Mackie & Milburn from Geelong. They are your prototype 3rd talls. We don't have one. As you suggest at this stage Moore is the only current option. Maybe Dea can become that player?

Phar Ace said:
Gee, I would have thought comparing the roles played by McGuane and Moore quite difficult, albeit both in the backline. McGuane consistently gets the jobs on the Browns, Franklins and the likes, which is vastly more a negating role, while 3rd back is almost swingman like, the role Bowden use to have to do. Don;t think McGuane has much of chance to do that yet has he? Could he? Know Bulldogs supporters who never thought much of Hargrave either - supporters are a funny lot sometimes. Time cures or confirms most opinions.

And we think Football Managers are thick lot ;D

Agree that Hargreave was never really rated, he was often given the key back role and is not equipped for it, much the same as McGuane. Is Hargreave as good as a Gilbert, Mackie, Milburn? Not IMO but he is not nearly as maligned as he once was.

Maybe Mcguane just needs to be realeased to the 3rd tall role and he will become a platform to attack? He doesn't appear to have the vision, creativity or skills IMO.

Big Cat Lover said:
Add Mackie & Milburn from Geelong. They are your prototype 3rd talls. We don't have one. As you suggest at this stage Moore is the only current option. Maybe Dea can become that player?

Wow, Dea? At the moment I'm not even prepared to say he'll make to another AFL game - hope he does though. Maybe, maybe maybe............

The same number of maybes apply to McGuane I guess, playing a 3rd tall. As I said, he's more a utility in any event - but people cane him for doing what he's not equiped, but asked to do - how quickly they drag out the DUD word - for someone else ;)

Phar Ace said:
Wow, Dea? At the moment I'm not even prepared to say he'll make to another AFL game - hope he does though. Maybe, maybe maybe............

The same number of maybes apply to McGuane I guess, playing a 3rd tall. As I said, he's more a utility in any event - but people cane him for doing what he's not equiped, but asked to do - how quickly they drag out the DUD word - for someone else ;)

Drummond and Hurn are other examples of 3rd talls. In reality Phar Ace what has McGuane shown you that suggests he could be a 3rd tall? Awareness? Ability to read play? Vision? Disposal skills? He has a competitve aggresive streak which I think allows some to forgive his faults.

When you say utility, where do you think he is best suited?

Big Cat Lover said:
Drummond and Hurn are other examples of 3rd talls. In reality Phar Ace what has McGuane shown you that suggests he could be a 3rd tall? Awareness? Ability to read play? Vision? Disposal skills? He has a competitve aggresive streak which I think allows some to forgive his faults.

When you say utility, where do you think he is best suited?

By definition, a Utility has no best position, but can play a variety.

Compared to someone like Rutten playing in the same position (though Rutten has found himelf at FB more recently) he gives Rutten 5 years and about 15 kgs. They are the same height.

Luke's his disposal efficiency is a bit under or about the same as Ben Rutten, not perfect but not bad - so his disposal, while an awkward look, is still effective with the best. He leaked as many goals as Rutten, effects more spoils, takes more marks of an opposition's kicks, tackles more and gets and gives fewer free kicks. Luke has slightly more contested marks. For a "dud" he gets by OK in my opinion.

I do think he likes to run off, which is why as a 3rd tall, albeit untried, I'll be interested to see how he goes. Aerobically he plays virtually a whole game every week, averaging over 110mins. A shft to 3rd tall will be interesting to watch.

He seems to judge the ball well enough in the air, has good hards at the ball - but his knock is his first movement left or right is awkward.

If he ever adds 5 maybe 10kgs, I'd like to see him tried in the role Hahn now plays at the Bullies. 3rd, early lead up forward, getting back for the next contest. I don't know if he can do it - but in the air, straight ahead he'll contest like few others in our team, and provided we have some good front and square mids (reckon we have) it could work well.

But right now, we'd be robbing Peter to play Paul. Until we find a real CHB, I don't understand people belittling a guy being asked to play it undersized. CC knows it, Hardwick knows it, Barnzy doesn't want to know it ;D

Phar Ace said:
But right now, we'd be robbing Peter to play Paul. Until we find a real CHB, I don't understand people belittling a guy being asked to play it undersized. CC knows it, Hardwick knows it, Barnzy doesn't want to know it ;D

Yeah but 3 years? For a player of his ability or lack thereof that's definitely over the top IMO. Even if they wanted to keep him away from the GC as an uncontracted player with their dodgy formula's they could've just given him a 2 year deal. People might say it's just 1 year extra but if he goes backwards or youngsters quickly overtake him (definite possibility given his deficiencies) we're stuck with him. Then it turns into another McMahon situation, paying a guy to play out his contract in the 2's.

Also, hypothetically if we wanted to trade him at the end of this year because the above happens then he's still got another 2 years to go on his contract, I would imagine it would be extremely difficult to make a trade happen given the circumstances. However, if it was just the 1 year left to run it might be more appealing to opposition clubs to take it on. Just poor list management IMO and it's not the first time from CC.

Barnzy, for all we know, McGuane's contract could be well front-ended to help with the 92.5% minimum and who says no to being paid overs now. If he's on unders later, and I'd bet he's a realist, it makes shifting possible. If that's happened, think he's a safe enough bet with our list right now.

Barnzy said:
Yeah but 3 years? For a player of his ability or lack thereof that's definitely over the top IMO. Even if they wanted to keep him away from the GC as an uncontracted player with their dodgy formula's they could've just given him a 2 year deal.

I'd like to hope we offered 2 first, and the only reason we extended was because of the competition... otherwise it would be hard to explain. Since we couln't match their salary, showing him we have faith in him might have been what made him stay. If that's the case, I'm okay with the decision, although yes in general you never want players on 3 year contracts unless they are very good.

tigertim said:
I'm sorry Bobby, it is childish of me. How do you know I'm an older man anyway, we haven't met.

How is your wife Leysy going anyway?
It, uh, says in your profile.