CC on his last legs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CC on his last legs?

So I have come across some infuriating news.

According to Willo in this thread this is the contracts list: http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=39848.30

2010: Connors, Cousins, Edwards, King, Graham, Hislop, McMahon, Moore, Polo, Post, Riewoldt, Simmonds, Tambling, Thomson, Tuck, Vickery, White

2011: Astbury, Browne, Collins, Dea, Farmer, Grimes, Griffiths, Jackson, Morton, Nahas, Nason, Newman, Rance, Taylor, Thursfield, Webberley

2012: Deledio, Foley, Martin, McGuane

2013: Cotchin

I know that Jackson was re-signed last year for a couple years when his trade value was at it's maximum so I'll take his word on McGuane. Amazing if true, a player of a such limited ability gets a 3 year contract from CC. If true, surely CC has to go for such a mistake after the re-signing of duds like King, Schulz and the debarcle that was the 2008 draft.

So your infuriated by the only tagger we have being contracted for another year and one of our few tall-ish backmen (who would be cheap anyway) being contracted for 2 more years? Two contracts out of our entire list? Or did I misunderstand?

Tigers of Old said:
Doesn't mean that they cannot be traded.

Plenty of other are coming off contract this year aren't they..

A player of such limited ability that would only demand a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best to be locked away in a contract for 2 years (at the end of 2010) would make such a trade almost impossible.

McGuane was resigned for 3 years, I believe due to Gold Coast showing interest in him.
It's believed it's for $400k per year too (seriously)
I just wanted to make sure you knew so I can now watch you blow your lid

Tiger Rob said:
So your infuriated by the only tagger we have being contracted for another year and one of our few tall-ish backmen (who would be cheap anyway) being contracted for 2 more years? Two contracts out of our entire list? Or did I misunderstand?

I'm infuriated that a player of such limited ability in Jackson was giving a 2 year deal last year when he should've been traded as his value was at it's maximum.

I'm infuriated a player of such limited ability in McGuane was given a 3 year deal, that would not happen at any other club. As I said, if true...CC has to go for such a grave mistake. He must be in love with mediocrity. Seriously worried about our future with him playing a big role and making these types of decisions, even forgetting about comprimised drafts and such.

ZeroGame said:
McGuane was resigned for 3 years, I believe due to Gold Coast showing interest in him.
It's believed it's for $400k per year too (seriously)
I just wanted to make sure you knew so I can now watch you blow your lid

Absolutely mind blowing. I'm convinced now that we are going no where with CC. He must go. That is a SHOCKING mistake and is the last straw on top of King re-signing, Schulz re-signing and the 2008 draft. Turns out I was right in nearly everything I said looking back on this thread.

Barnzy said:
A player of such limited ability that would only demand a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be locked away in a contract for 2 years (at the end of 2010) would make such a trade almost impossible.

If indeed true I agree a three year deal is OTT.
Still who's ready to step into McGuane's boots at the moment Barnzy?

Tigers of Old said:

Just because he can get a game with Richmond at the moment doesn't mean you go and re-sign him to a 3 year deal. You only do that for a Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, etc. I honestly can't believe this has even occured. He has poor awareness, poor decision making, poor disposal. He doesn't have the body to play as a CHB, he has stick legs and gets pushed out of contests too easily because of this. I don't think he would get a game at many other clubs if any. We have Thursfield, Post, Rance, Moore, Grimes, Gourdis, even Astbury who all are options for the future. This was a grave mistake and I'm seriously worried about our future with CC making these type of decisions. There's no excuse for this one.

Let's not totally blow over the Jackson re-signing for 2 years too. Very bad mistake. How many chances does CC get? He has one of the most important roles at this football club and time and time again he's shown he's incompetant in his position.

Tigers of Old said:

Polak....if only he could get those darn arms above his head :hihi

Jackson is one of the few leaders we have. He's an average playmaker but a good tagger, and still young (same age as Tambling isn't he?)

I like McGuane, he hurts the opposition and rarely has a bag kicked on him. Usually sticks to safe kicks these days, unless he's down the ground. If it was a choice of 2 year deal and we lose him for nothing to GC, or 3 year deal and he stays - I'm happy with our decision.

We wouldn't have got much in return for McGuane if we went to GC, so overall we did our best from an average situation.

So we've got two average players with contracts still running, and about 15 average players who are all finished this year?

That sounds like bloody good managing to me. Again, people are overreacting emotionally to the club's situation. Thankfully those in charge don't let emotions dictate their decisions like our supporters do.

This still doesn't bother me because

a. Jackson - we dont have another tagger
b. McGuane - contract value is irrelevant because we HAVE to spend 92.5% of salary cap and nearly everyone has to be overpaid because of it.

rockstar_tiger said:
Jackson is one of the few leaders we have. He's an average playmaker but a good tagger, and still young (same age as Tambling isn't he?)

Yep, average playmaker is an understatement. Poor awareness, poor decision making, poor skills. A total liability in today's modern game. Should've been moved on at the end of last year when his trade value was at it's peak, not given a 2 year deal.

rockstar_tiger said:
I like McGuane, he hurts the opposition and rarely has a bag kicked on him. Usually sticks to safe kicks these days, unless he's down the ground. If it was a choice of 2 year deal and we lose him for nothing to GC, or 3 year deal and he stays - I'm happy with our decision.?)

Hurts the opposition? What games are you watching? :spin

He is in the same category as Jackson. Glass half full type with poor skills, decision making and awareness. Liablity with ball in hand and he does have bags kicked against him. Pavlich just the other week mauled him.

He doesn't have the body to build on either. You need strong hips and legs for marking contests, McGuane will never have that with his chicken legs.

By the way, GC can only take uncontracted players at the end of 2010. To keep him away from the GC they would've only needed to give him a 2 year deal. Don't know why you wouldn't want the GC to take him though, would've thought he would be a prime candidate. Another example of the RFC loving medicority.

rockstar_tiger said:
So we've got two average players with contracts still running, and about 15 average players who are all finished this year?

The key is this could've been prevented just like many of the other things I have pointed out in this thread. CC has a lot to answer for.

Barnzy, you're going to be a real laugh when you get to claw's age.

Barnzy said:
By the way, GC can only take uncontracted players at the end of 2010. To keep him away from the GC they would've only needed to give him a 2 year deal.

you're forgetting one thing. Yes GC17 have their claim in 2010 of one uncontracted player per club, but GWS have the same shot for 2011 AND 2012.

GWS won this concession because too many players were being signed onto 2 year deal to avoid GC17

Tiger74 said:
you're forgetting one thing. Yes GC17 have their claim in 2010 of one uncontracted player per club, but GWS have the same shot for 2011 AND 2012.

GWS won this concession because too many players were being signed onto 2 year deal to avoid GC17

Yes but I was talking about the GC. McGuane is not good enough for CC to go sealing him up in a long-term deal and hiding him away from other clubs. In fact, he's good trade bait and should've been handed over to the GC on the platter as he's a QLD boy. I can't believe this decision and I don't know how anyone can stick up for it.

Same for Jackson, going no where fast with that dud but of course down at the RFC where mediocrity is celebrated he will probably have a 10 year career.

Leysy agrees with Barnzy on this.

Not sure how anyone can agree that it is good list management to sign a player of McGuane's ability to a 3 year deal.*

GC17 can only sign him at the end of this season. Why then didn't we only give him a 2 year deal taking him to the end of 2011.
Its not as if clubs other than GC17 are going to come in for him.
Baffling. If it is for a sizeable amount then even moreso.

If we are going to be an improving team then McGuane wont be getting a game in 2012. He should hopefully be overtaken by one of Astbury, Post, Grimes, Gourdis, whoever we draft from here on etc. That being the case we are opening ourselves up to the chance of paying him to play at Coburg. Does that ring any bells for this season.

Leysy has faith in Gale, Hardwick & the rest of the coaching staff. CC, unfortunately leysy never has.

He is the head of football & just doesnt have the runs on the board for a job of this magnitude ILO.

* If McGuane wasnt signed for 3 years leysy takes the rant on McGuane back. ;D

Tiger74 said:

Makes even less sense then. GWS can still sign him at the end of 2012 so he is still vulnerable to be poached for nothing.
In any event we are alking about Luke McGuane here & not a key plank of our plans into the future.

The club should sack CC and hire Barnzy.

Who said you need to watch games of football to know how to transform our club.

On a more serious note, CC gets a raw deal, he has done a lot for Richmond off the field with getting the right people and structures in place for sustained success. He was put into an awkward spot as the club was going through transforming and overhauling the department and maybe had to make decisions based on stability more than anything else. His work on the things that no one talks about is extremely underrated.

I am confident Richmond now have got the team off the field to transform our club in the near future.

rockstar_tiger said:

I like McGuane, he hurts the opposition and rarely has a bag kicked on him. Usually sticks to safe kicks these days, unless he's down the ground. If it was a choice of 2 year deal and we lose him for nothing to GC, or 3 year deal and he stays - I'm happy with our decision.

We wouldn't have got much in return for McGuane if we went to GC, so overall we did our best from an average situation.

That sounds like bloody good managing to me. Again, people are overreacting emotionally to the club's situation. Thankfully those in charge don't let emotions dictate their decisions like our supporters do.

You're satisfied we sign in your own words average players to multiple year contracts? You like mcGuane - so do most opposition players and fans. McGuane hurts the opposition - how?

Out of the 3 supposedly key backs we are currently playing McGuane is IMO the most flawed.

Barnzy totally agree with you, more terrible list management decisions.

Tigerbob said:
The club should sack CC and hire Barnzy.

Who said you need to watch games of football to know how to transform our club.

On a more serious note, CC gets a raw deal, he has done a lot for Richmond off the field with getting the right people and structures in place for sustained success. He was put into an awkward spot as the club was going through transforming and overhauling the department and maybe had to make decisions based on stability more than anything else. His work on the things that no one talks about is extremely underrated.

I am confident Richmond now have got the team off the field to transform our club in the near future.

Sounds like you're happy with giving McGuane a 3 year deal? Not suprised since your such a fan of limited footballers like Tom Hislop and openly stick up for them.

You really need to give the over the top optimism and blind faith a rest Bob and look at the bigger picture as you like to tell me so much.