CC on his last legs? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CC on his last legs?

tigertim said:
Simpleton? Oh, I'm shattered Bobby. You didn't manage to work in a reference to "seeing the plan" or a "nudge nudge, wink wink I know someone at RFC". Disappointing.

For an older man, you sure are childish. Just like your obsession with having a go at Leysey on the General board all of last year. Biggest case of stalking I have seen. What, still upset someone stuck up for him from the harrassment?

Barnzy said:
I reckon that trait is overrated.

So no concession given then when a player you despise plays his role - no caveat offered that if he could so that more regularly.....etc etc. It's black or it's black?

Tigerbob said:
I never said you didn't attend games, I said the games you do not attend yet comment on them as if you were there is laughable.

You act like I'm the only one in history to share my thoughts on a game when I can't be there live.

Barnzy said:
You act like I'm the only one in history to share my thoughts on a game when I can't be there live.

No you share your thoughts on them like they actually happened, like you were there Barnzy.

By the way, Polak took a few marks above his head, seems to me to be lifting his arms above his head alright.

Tigerbob said:
No you share your thoughts on them like they actually happened, like you were there Barnzy.

By the way, Polak took a few marks above his head, seems to me to be lifting his arms above his head alright.

Is he lifting his arms above his head? Well, good for him. I don't have a problem with that part of his game, that was another poster. However, I don't rate him, you're correct on that.

Phar Ace said:
So no concession given then when a player you despise plays his role - no caveat offered that if he could so that more regularly.....etc etc. It's black or it's black?

I was just pointing out I don't rate that trait as high as others and I don't think it makes up for lack of awareness, poor decision making and poor disposal in today's modern game. Just my opinion.

Tigerbob said:

Plenty discuss the games who don't see them live. If we don't indicate whether we were there or not how would anyone know?

Does Barnzy think Polly never takes overhead marks?

Phar Ace said:
As you see him play, has his football been downhill since his NAB cup game against Hawthorn?

Most of us would have seen that game, and it was commendable. Like others perhaps, I assumed he can, or has at least, replicated that game. I thought he was destined for our backline this year, not in a couple of years time. Why is he not ready IYHO?
I'd suggest that playing as a young kpp in defence for the worst club in the competition is a pretty tough job. Personally I think he's doing a reasonable job considering the amount of ball coming down his way with little pressure from the midfield.

We started this season with 16 players who had nada games of AFL in their kitbag and ten others who had less than 20. That’s 26 unproven footballers on the list.

This Garry Lyon concept of a “list clogger” doesn’t really apply to Richmond at present. In reality, we have 2 or 3 A-graders, 26 unproven players, about ten or so depth players and 6 or 7 Z-graders who are hurtling towards oblivion. None of our depth players are taking a position from a youngster at this stage so it follows that they are needed, unless, of course, we want to see the Tigers lose by 200 points every week. Funnily enough, that’s more “medicine” than I would like to ingest in a season.

BTW, what do our list-clogger fraternity think of Lynden Dunn, Colin Sylivia, Mark Jamar, Jared Rivers, Brent Moloney, Matthew Warnock, Stefan Martin and Clint Bartram? I would have thought that they were all likely to be considered classic “list cloggers” this time last year. I’ll bet Dean Bailey is grateful that they kept them around for another year.

ZeroGame said:
I'd suggest that playing as a young kpp in defence for the worst club in the competition is a pretty tough job. Personally I don't think he's doing a reasonable job considering the amount of ball coming down his way with little pressure from the midfield.

Thanks Zero, but is that written correctly?

ZeroGame said:
I'd suggest that playing as a young kpp in defence for the worst club in the competition is a pretty tough job. Personally I think he's doing a reasonable job considering the amount of ball coming down his way with little pressure from the midfield.
Yes, McGuane's efforts at the RFC have to be admired. No one can accuse Luke of not applying himself, he has certainly been able to sqeeze the most out of his abilities. I'm just afraid that his best is unlikely to be good enough to be in a premiership 22.

TOT70 said:
BTW, what do our list-clogger fraternity think of Lynden Dunn, Colin Sylivia, Mark Jamar, Jared Rivers, Brent Moloney, Matthew Warnock, Stefan Martin and Clint Bartram? I would have thought that they were all likely to be considered classic “list cloggers” this time last year. I’ll bet Dean Bailey is grateful that they kept them around for another year.
I would have considered Dunn a list clogger, but the others are hardly duds.

Giardiasis said:
Yes, McGuane's efforts at the RFC have to be admired. No one can accuse Luke of not applying himself, he has certainly been able to sqeeze the most out of his abilities. I'm just afraid that his best is unlikely to be good enough to be in a premiership 22.

Sure they can be, but he needs better players around him. He'd be a great 3rd tall, as long as we had good 1st and 2nd talls.

The knock on the likes of McGuane and Jackson is that they're playing key roles at the moment and they aren't premiership quality key players. When they can be demoted to squad players then we'll be doing well as a club.

TOT70 said:
BTW, what do our list-clogger fraternity think of Lynden Dunn, Colin Sylivia, Mark Jamar, Jared Rivers, Brent Moloney, Matthew Warnock, Stefan Martin and Clint Bartram? Don;t forget Petterd I would have thought that they were all likely to be considered classic “list cloggers” this time last year. I’ll bet Dean Bailey is grateful that they kept them around for another year.

Yeah, and those old hacks , Bruce, Green and McDonald are being heralded as showing the young kids the way ;)

Baloo said:
Sure they can be, but he needs better players around him. He'd be a great 3rd tall, as long as we had good 1st and 2nd talls.

I classify a good '3rd tall' as having good foot skills, good awareness and a good football brain. They need something extra because they aren't the 1st ones to get the big jobs. Someone like a Sam Gilbert or Ryan Hargrave who don't necessarily have a big defensive job but sets up a lot of attacks. I sadly just can't see McGuane in that role. Currently Moore is probably the playing the 3rd tall roll for us and while he isn't perfect at it, he would be better than McGuane IMO.

Same goes for Jackson in a different way. Even if better players come on, as soon as he gets the ball he's still going to be a liablity because of his deficiencies. A lesser role won't change that fact.

Giardiasis said:
I would have considered Dunn a list clogger, but the others are hardly duds.

Jamar's last ten games are close to the only good games he has ever played, Sylvia has been either injured or suspended much of the time, Rivers and Moloney likewise always injured, Bartram OK but with suspect desposal, Warnock has been not much more than a depth player for several years, Martin is a classic in-betweener, not tall enough to ruck, not skilful enough to do anything else. The only one that I am being harsh on is Sylvia, he has A-grade potential but has always had z-grade application.

Players like this are invaluable if you can get enough A-graders around them.

Baloo said:

The knock on the likes of McGuane and Jackson is that they're playing key roles at the moment and they aren't premiership quality key players. When they can be demoted to squad players then we'll be doing well as a club.
I don't think McGuane would be a good third tall, they generally need to provide run and carry out of defence. While he is good at the run and carry part, his excecution is poor. To be an AFL player, he really needs to turn himself into a presti negating type that never kicks, but muscles just isn't big enough.

Jackson is an effective tagger, and can play that role well. His kicking will always be a liability though, so he'd probably be overtaken soon enough.

Giardiasis said:
I don't think McGuane would be a good third tall, they generally need to provide run and carry out of defence. While he is good at the run and carry part, his excecution is poor. To be an AFL player, he really needs to turn himself into a presti negating type that never kicks, but muscles just isn't big enough.

Hit the nail on the head there. Sadly missing vital attributes for the different roles.

TOT70 said:
Jamar's last ten games are close to the only good games he has ever played, Sylvia has been either injured or suspended much of the time, Rivers and Moloney likewise always injured, Bartram OK but with suspect desposal, Warnock has been not much more than a depth player for several years, Martin is a classic in-betweener, not tall enough to ruck, not skilful enough to do anything else. The only one that I am being harsh on is Sylvia, he has A-grade potential but has always had z-grade application.

Players like this are invaluable if you can get enough A-graders around them.
They aren't duds though. McMahon is a dud, Schulz is a dud, Pattison is a dud, etc etc.

You are right though that A-graders make limited footballers more effective. The swans are the kings at this.

Gee, I would have thought comparing the roles played by McGuane and Moore quite difficult, albeit both in the backline. McGuane consistently gets the jobs on the Browns, Franklins and the likes, which is vastly more a negating role, while 3rd back is almost swingman like, the role Bowden use to have to do. Don;t think McGuane has much of chance to do that yet has he? Could he? Know Bulldogs supporters who never thought much of Hargrave either - supporters are a funny lot sometimes. Time cures or confirms most opinions.

And we think Football Managers are thick lot ;D