Campbell Brown-Daniel Jackson clash threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Campbell Brown-Daniel Jackson clash threads [Merged]

theScabman said:
We can argue about this all day, but what I'm interested to know is if a Richmond player attacked the contest with such ferocity would you think that they'd gone about it all wrong?

Where exactly does this leave football if the sort of thing Brown did is a 'no-no'?

Mate I can argue the exact same thing when Lloyd got rubbed out for his hit on Sewell last year.
There's not a great deal of difference that I can see except end result (injury) to the player who's head is over the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQiz0cXYbzo&feature=related

It is imperative that you protect the player with his head over the ball and quite clearly we can see in this footage that Jackson was first to it and Brown chose to take his eye off the footy and bump Jackson's head.

theScabman said:
He is running with his body open.
He is not leading with his shoulder.

Only when it becomes apparent to him that contact will be made does he turn his shoulder.

We can argue about this all day, but what I'm interested to know is if a Richmond player attacked the contest with such ferocity would you think that they'd gone about it all wrong?

Where exactly does this leave football if the sort of thing Brown did is a 'no-no'?

Are you seriously trying to tell us that Browneye at any stage was going for the ball?

Tigers of Old said:
It is imperative that you protect the player with his head over the ball and quite clearly we can see in this footage that Jackson was first to it and Brown chose to take his eye off the footy and bump Jackson's head.

But that only relates to contact to the head. If no contact, no issue.

Tigers of Old said:
What makes you think there was no contact?
None of the pictures shown in this thread show head high contact
Every image is from behind Jackson, you can't tell from that angle

Tigers of Old said:
What makes you think there was no contact?

The footage that I have seen certainly doesn't indicate that there was head high contact. Appears the AFL have made the same conclusion. On that Brown gets off.

ZeroGame said:
None of the pictures shown in this thread show head high contact
Every image is from behind Jackson, you can't tell from that angle

WesternTiger said:
The footage that I have seen certainly doesn't indicate that there was head high contact. Appears the AFL have made the same conclusion. On that Brown gets off.

and you call yourselves Tiger supporters?

:hihi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Wru7kJxZY

If no contact at all was made to the head why immediatly after the incident did Jackson lay on the ground holding his head/face? Fast forward to 55/56 secs in, that to me isn't the reaction of someone who got hit in the shoulder. Very hard to tell from the camera angle though so maybe that's why Brown got off.

theScabman said:
Campbell Brown is less than half a metre away from the ball and it is still loose.

I really detest the sue of Slo-mo and screenshots in reference to 'in play' contact, as it totally defeats the purpose of analysing contact made in an elite sport.

The game is played at high speed. Players don't get the option to slo down and have a second guess.

Ball is loose yet Brown has his elbow tucked in ready to deliver a bump I understand you can not bring yourself to admit the truth but Brown had no intention of the ball because he is a gutless wonder.

Barnzy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Wru7kJxZY

If no contact at all was made to the head why immediatly after the incident did Jackson lay on the ground holding his head/face? Fast forward to 55/56 secs in, that to me isn't the reaction of someone who got hit in the shoulder. Very hard to tell from the camera angle though so maybe that's why Brown got off.
Pretty simple, he didn't grab his head/face
He rolled onto his stomach and only barely put his hand near his head

ZeroGame said:
Pretty simple, he didn't grab his head/face
He rolled onto his stomach and only barely put his hand near his head

You must be watching a different video to me. ???

brigadiertiger said:
Ball is loose yet Brown has his elbow tucked in ready to deliver a bump I understand you can not bring yourself to admit the truth but Brown had no intention of the ball because he is a gutless wonder.
Have you watched the clip?

How many times do I have to outline it for you.
The ball was handballed into space. Brown ran back for it, Jackson was in front of him. Brown recognised that Jackson was going to get the ball before he could, and that contact was going to be made, and so he turned his shoulder into Jackson.

It's basically just good football. The sort of stuff you'd see constantly in the 80's and 90's.

What I find so intriguing though is that the AFL in their adjudication of the game and it's rules have turned what were once supporters who loved a fierce contest into snivellers who want any player who goes anywhere near the head rubbed out.
Look at how we react now to hard contests.
The first thing anyone does is look for head contact so that they can get on their feet and claim that player to be worthy of a holiday on the sidelines.

Seems the AFL have gotten exactly what they desired. Sanitised rubbish for people with no clue.

Just face it Dawks trolls your player Brown is a spineless cheap shot merchant who doesnt go in for the hardball.
Brown squeals to the umpire like a dying Hawk the minute Jacko came close to headbutting him.

theScabman said:
Have you watched the clip?

How many times do I have to outline it for you.
The ball was handballed into space. Brown ran back for it, Jackson was in front of him. Brown recognised that Jackson was going to get the ball before he could, and that contact was going to be made, and so he turned his shoulder into Jackson.

It's basically just good football. The sort of stuff you'd see constantly in the 80's and 90's.

What I find so intriguing though is that the AFL in their adjudication of the game and it's rules have turned what were once supporters who loved a fierce contest into snivellers who want any player who goes anywhere near the head rubbed out.
Look at how we react now to hard contests.
The first thing anyone does is look for head contact so that they can get on their feet and claim that player to be worthy of a holiday on the sidelines.

Seems the AFL have gotten exactly what they desired. Sanitised rubbish for people with no clue.

If this were the 80's and 90's then fine his actions would not raise an eyebrow but this is not the 80's and it is not the 90's and there are rules in place to protect the player with their head over the ball. Regardless of whether we like the rule or not that is not the point the rule states that head high contact is illegal there was head high contact the pictures show that Brown had no intent to go the ball his intent was the man who was.

Taking both the pictures here and the video clip it is a cowardly act what he is lucky in is that it appears it was a glancing blow to the head that didn't inflict any real damage but that does not excuse what he did.

Barnzy said:
You must be watching a different video to me. ???
Watching the same clip you linked to

He just looks like someone who's had the stuffing knocking out of him
He doesn't throw his hands to his face/head like players tend to do when they cop one high, his hands only go close to his head after he rolls onto his stomach

theScabman said:
He could have made an attempt to tackle, he chose to instigate a shirt front

39748993.jpg

Pretty clear he was distraught and holding his face/head directly after he got hit. As I said it was hard to tell from the footage but if he got hit in the shoulder he wouldn't have reacted in such a way. Who gets hit in the shoulder and clutches at their head?

Barnzy said:
Pretty clear he was distraught and holding his face/head directly after he got hit. As I said it was hard to tell from the footage but if he got hit in the shoulder he wouldn't have reacted in such a way. Who gets hit in the shoulder and clutches at their head?

Reckon there are heaps of examples. Personally I wasn't too fussed about this decision. It does appear to be inconclusive and you have to give the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. It may be that Jackson did get hit in the head but you can't suspend someone on circumstantial evidence these days, I wouldn't have thought. The 3 weeks for Jackson is deplorable though, in fact a sick joke. As was Hille getting off for jumping with the elbow up late. The inconsistency is rife.

Scabman, out of interest whats your view IF brown hit jackson high? weeks or not?

I'm in the camp if he didnt hit him high he gets off, but i dont agree though he only turned to protect himself. He chased the ball saw jackson and decided to crunch him instead. it definitely should have been a free, cos at the very least he hit over the shoulder (but not necessarily the head).

it will be interesting what jackson says at his tribunal for his vicious headbut.