Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

On Morton. Leysy agrees.

It is blatantly clear he plays his best football up the ground, but has barelt been given a run there all year.

As others have said he would be a big upgrade on Nason.

grumpytiger said:
Nason is too small but he throws himself at it which Mitch tends not to do. Still it's strange that he can't get into the side. Perhaps he needs to take a lesson from Shane Tuck in persistence and perserverence.
Hear, Hear

DH may not be handling Mitch optimally, but Mitch's gunna have to suck it up and learn from Tucky and, dare I say, Nason

Hope Blair can find do even better in the next off-season and find us a ruck, a kpd and a goal kicking mid at relatively cheap cost

CC TIGER said:
Like BH been at Punt Rd, heard a whisper he reckons Stephen Hill can Play 8)

That won't make him any sort of genius mate :hihi

It also won't make Stephen Hill have any chance of coming to Punt Road. None. Settled in Perth, loves his life and the club, we couldn't offer him enough money to get to us.

Back onto the topic, will be interesting to see who we target at years end. I would target:

* Zachary Clarke from Fremantle - young, tall (203cm) ruckman/forward with skill. Very young and able to develop with our squad. Melbourne boy originally, get him home. He and Vickery would be an unreal ruck/forward combo athletically and skill wise.

* David MacKay from Adelaide - quick midfielder with a great kick on him, provides a lot of run and carry. Another Melbourne boy so the attraction would be there, adds to our fleet of running outside midfielders. Hasn't had a consistent go at it at Adelaide due to injury but is highly rated there. Had the discussion with CC Tiger at the Carlton game when we were talking about trading Edwards, this guy came into my mind straight away.

* Nicholas Smith from Sydney - quick, skilled and hard left footed midfielder that is used as a tagger mainly but can go back and do your jobs on your Milnes etc. Again a Melbourne boy, tough as they come. Adds again to our midfield rotations and small defenders, small but not too small (184cm), we lack good midfield taggers and this guy is a very good one already. Has that tough, uncompromising play I love. Good tackler.

Funny enough all three are Oakleigh boys.

These three so far are guys I would think would help us in area's we need but wouldn't cost the world.

Tigerbob said:
That won't make him any sort of genius mate :hihi

It also won't make Stephen Hill have any chance of coming to Punt Road. None. Settled in Perth, loves his life and the club, we couldn't offer him enough money to get to us.

Back onto the topic, will be interesting to see who we target at years end. I would target:

* Zachary Clarke from Fremantle - young, tall (203cm) ruckman/forward with skill. Very young and able to develop with our squad. Melbourne boy originally, get him home. He and Vickery would be an unreal ruck/forward combo athletically and skill wise.

* David MacKay from Adelaide - quick midfielder with a great kick on him, provides a lot of run and carry. Another Melbourne boy so the attraction would be there, adds to our fleet of running outside midfielders. Hasn't had a consistent go at it at Adelaide due to injury but is highly rated there. Had the discussion with CC Tiger at the Carlton game when we were talking about trading Edwards, this guy came into my mind straight away.

* Nicholas Smith from Sydney - quick, skilled and hard left footed midfielder that is used as a tagger mainly but can go back and do your jobs on your Milnes etc. Again a Melbourne boy, tough as they come. Adds again to our midfield rotations and small defenders, small but not too small (184cm), we lack good midfield taggers and this guy is a very good one already. Has that tough, uncompromising play I love. Good tackler.

Funny enough all three are Oakleigh boys.

These three so far are guys I would think would help us in area's we need but wouldn't cost the world.
Now Bobby you dream you believe you create you suceed ;D Stephen Hill would be a lovely fit ;D

On Mckay as I said that day if we were trading with the Crows , though we do owe them a favour ;) Id be enquiring about Sloan, though my boy Eddie is about to storm home an finish top 5 in the b & F, Id say having a big game on Thomas in the Prelim will be the sealer :)

If we're looking at covering our most glaring deficiency then we should definitely look at targeting a ruckman. I can't help but think back to when Sydney threw a very generous offer the way of Mumford. This move raised a few eyebrows early on but they are now reaping the rewards. We need to show similar foresight with our recruiting and not just settle for the status quo and hope that Graham will eventually come good and show some sort of dominance in ruck contests that will give our midfield something better than a 50/50 contest to look forward to each week.

Tigerbob said:
Let me say something as I have heard this a few times and it has p!ssed me off.

Mitch Morton last year spoke about having to go back to Coburg to work on a few areas. he was happy to do so as it was communicated to him and he was excited about it. He came back at the end of the year and played that role and played it very well.

He went into pre season with the same intent and broke his personal records in running, got himself fitter than he ever was, all for the role he was due to play.

Round One comes and there is Mitch in a Forward pocket....then he gets dropped......now he is back at Coburg playing forward, back and midfield. His body language now says it all.

am keen to see mitch back up the ground. think the end of last season says it all. though would also as a last ditch proposal if we are serious about shipping him off is see him play back flank and release Deledio. morton, moore, batchelor, astbury starts to give us some size and good skills back there. need to upgrade moore and still need monster kpd and hopefully rance can keep improving his body work and keep handballing :)

Tigerbob said:
I have said it before, we need to get Knights as a development coach. No offence to Dave Newitt and Tim Clarke, but Matthew Knights is a lot better and proven at developing young talent. The phase in which we are at he is needed now. Forget his senior coaching record, tactically he was out of his depth, but he was a good development coach.

I personally wouldn't even have him coach our VFL team. Have him strictly as a Development coach. Not have to worry about tactics and opposition and gameplans etc, just developing our young talent.

I think Knights really took Newman under his wing when he first arrived at the club. No surprises that he is one of the few from the early 2000 drafts to kick on to a decent career.

CC TIGER said:
Like BH been at Punt Rd, heard a whisper he reckons Stephen Hill can Play 8)

Freo must have also had that feeling at some point taking him at pick 3 in the forgettable 2008 draft. Interesting as it allowed Rich to slip to brisbane.

interesting how well he compares statistically to Cotchin, in draft number, age, height, games played, but also disposals, and has kicked a bunch more goals.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=9&pid1=3109&tid2=15&pid2=2302&type=T&fid1=C&fid2=C

Go get him Blair!!

I wonder if a player like sam gilbert is on our radar. Dont know his contract situation but seems to be very down this year. Maybe a fresh start next year at a new club..... Good footballer

No thanks. Sam Gilbert is a shocking kick. He isn't a key defender either and can't stop an opponent, 3rd tall.

Just a thought... he usually is a nice kick but this year he has been awful- I think his off season has caught up to him

agree on knights - get him helping out with the development of the kids.

also agree on morton. played the best football of his life last year up the ground then gets buried in a forward pocket. staggered how edwards and nason get a run before him.

Tigers of Old said:
This is true but why is almost all of this falling on Dimma?

I'd certainly like him to be asked why Mitch is at Coburg.

I still find it amusing Dimma is being bashed for playing Mitch up forward when just one month ago he was being bashed for not playing him up forward.

Tigers of Old said:

Almost certainly because his attitude stinks.

Tigers of Old said:

I think we all would like the answer to that.

Obviously we dont know what is being said behind closed doors and what instructions have been given to Mitch at the start of the season. But looking from the oustside in, it is strange on why Morton hasnt been given a decent run up the field. His game against Port Adelaide in Round 22 last year was the perfect example on the sort of damage Mitch can do playing off a wing - Almost 30 touches and 3 goals. Edwards could only dream of those sort of stats.