Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

MrRuss said:
Agree with the sentiments, but McIntosh is injured. Achilles I believe?

Yep, repeat of an injury earlier in his career - would be playing otherwise - had a very good 2010

Phantom said:
I like Zac Clarke alot.

But we do have Graham, Vickery, Browne & Derrickx already on the list, and all of them improving.

if we forgot about vickery and just thought of him as a gaint fwd option (who can take a turn in the ruck)

then we can pretend it's only three ruckmen we have, and sneak out and grab another one,....who can also play fwd ;D

If we are chasing a ruckman who isn't getting games or a good opportunity, what about Brad Moran, Zac Clarke, Jarrad Redden or Daniel Currie? I know they are unproven but they are still all young enough and would be cheap.

Say NO to Moran! This guy spends more time looking at his hair on the video scoreboard than looking at the footy coming in. He is also more fragile than Lindsay Lohan.

MrRuss said:
Agree with the sentiments, but McIntosh is injured. Achilles I believe?

Fair enough, i didn't realize it was injury keeping him out. I still believe that while he may be an upgrade on Angus, I don't see him as the difference between being 5-12th or top four.

skiptomystu said:
If McIntosh was to become a Tiger, I'd be looking to palm off Graham somewhere.
GWS with a compensatory pick ?

Then again GWS or GC might take McIntosh with an earlier pick rather than Gus so it'd have to be a trade

I wonder if it's more than returning from injury that's keeping Goldsack out at Collingwood

No complaints with Blair's work thus far for us

Herr_Tiger said:
I wonder if it's more than returning from injury that's keeping Goldsack out at Collingwood

Gladular Fever apparently. Seemed to recall he nearly died or something like that - his diet is being closely monitored.

Hartley has so far picked some pretty good targets no doubt.

Leuenberger would be someone to talk to given the Lions cap troubles.

I'd certainly rattle the tree at St Kilda & Port as well.

We still need to look at the Pies list and Geelong's list as they have the most depth to see who is not getting a fair go.

Rounds from Collingwood has not played a game but was very close last year named in the 25 7 times I think.

Blair Hartley is one of the most important accusitions we have had. Very highly rated in the industry as a
Talent and Opposition Analyst.

His ability to not only identify talent, but know their contract status and wants as a player is first class. We got Grigg and Houli for very little. Both players were passionate about coming to the club. We all see their worth and how they have improved us now. Great work. Some have seen it from the time they were targetted.

I look at Trengove and see his worth. I see the way he will improve us, but I still think we are much better and utilising our draft picks and not spending the farm on players. I think Port rate Trengove higher than his actual worth. Dangerous type to target as you start believing the hype and pay overs. I am of the belief that our staff think he can be our big CHB that we lack. His kicking is worse than McGuanes, but he is a powerful unit already at 20 years old and can contain the monsters.

My opinion is we need to keep building our base. Improve our talent levels from player number 10 - 30 on our list. The best way to do that is via the draft. Conca, Batchelor and Helbig have added to the quality, we need to keep doing that most importantly. Adding a Grigg and Houli does that too. So long as you pay little to do it.

I have watched Essendon very closely, very closely as my whole family, and I am talking immediate family and my 11 uncles and aunties and family are staunch Essendon supporters (some may even be sponsors...) and what I have noticed is players improvement from their bottom rung is the number one reason for their dramatic improvement.

Crameri, Hardingham, Howlett are players I have identified have been given major roles and added to the teams quality from the bottom. This is what we need. These types. Hard big bodies who play their role and play it well. Webberley, Nason etc can be that type but need to get bigger. Nason looked like an 11 year old girl out there against North. Not good enough.

Just between us, I think Crameri will be better than just a role player. Not bad off a rookie list. Didn't Knighta have a heap to do with him, Hardingham and Howlett? ;)

Keep in mind,If we were to trade for someone,This is the year to do it just like last year due to the Compromised draft.[Pick 8 in reality is pick 15]

The area that we need to improve at most is our use of the rookie list.

Miller and Hislop are just waste of picks. Look at Collingwood, they are the masters of getting long term players via the rookie draft. We need to use every pick and look outside the state. Improve networks in the WAFL and SANFL. Get the right types into the club via the rookie.

As for Trengove, big pass for me. His kicking is just horrible, makes McGuane look like Darren Jarman. Big no. The improvement of the side has been through finding well rounded footballers who can dispose of the ball and make sound choices in the heat of the battle. Not only would Trengove come at a cost but he would also be dragging down the skill level. Massive no when with the compo pick lurking around, the possibility of trading with GWS for 17 year olds or more compo picks floating and free agency lurking on the horizon, trading picks away when we are showing the ability to pick the right types for a player that is not the right type IMO would be a huge mistake.

Take your picks, make the right picks, trade away players while they have some currency in the market place for more picks and go about your process. Small steps. The Houli & Grigg deals should be the preferred methods of operation. Low cost for medium return. No point going for home runs at this stage. Just keep stockpiling talent via the draft.

If we have another two solid drafts, the list will be in great shape for long term success. Take every step, no shortcuts.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Keep in mind,If we were to trade for someone,This is the year to do it just like last year due to the Compromised draft.[Pick 8 in reality is pick 15]

Whilst that may be true, I still think pick 15 is still more valuable to us. Don't fiddle with the draft. Trengove was what a pick in the 20's?

Keep your early picks, improve on what we have, like we did last year. We kept our picks, and traded a player that was not in our long term plans and improved another level.

What worries me is when we trade draft picks. If Essendon had agreed to trade Houli to us for that draft pick it would have cost us Helbig. To me, that's a loss. That's the thing about trading early draft picks.

If Port agree to trade Trengove for Edwards, I'm all for it.

Tigerbob said:
Crameri, Hardingham, Howlett are players I have identified have been given major roles and added to the teams quality from the bottom. This is what we need. These types. Hard big bodies who play their role and play it well. Webberley, Nason etc can be that type but need to get bigger. Nason looked like an 11 year old girl out there against North. Not good enough.

This is a really good point I reckon.

From what i saw of the game yesterday, The Dons were able to maintain real physical pressure for the majority of the game. Their role players have size and are able to exert a physical presence.
Something guys like Webberly and Nason cannot do.

Essendon are a couple of years ahead of us in their development but we are never going to be able to compete with the top sides untill the entire 22 players can match it physically.

Tigerbob said:
Whilst that may be true, I still think pick 15 is still more valuable to us. Don't fiddle with the draft. Trengove was what a pick in the 20's?

I am much more comfortable with this line of thinking than with trading early picks.

SCOOP said:
The Houli & Grigg deals should be the preferred methods of operation. Low cost for medium return. No point going for home runs at this stage.

Yep, agree 100%

Tigerbob said:

Keep your early picks, improve on what we have, like we did last year. We kept our picks, and traded a player that was not in our long term plans and improved another level.

What worries me is when we trade draft picks. If Essendon had agreed to trade Houli to us for that draft pick it would have cost us Helbig. To me, that's a loss. That's the thing about trading early draft picks.

Only using the first pick as an example.If we were to look at trading our 1st rnd pick id rather try and snag one of the GWS 17yr olds on offer.Apart from that i agree what your saying in essence but i guess thats where Blair and Francis come into it.If they believe player X playing for Club W is better than a kid at a certain draft pick range then im all for it.

Only using the first pick as an example.If we were to look at trading our 1st rnd pick id rather try and snag one of the GWS 17yr olds on offer.Apart from that i agree what your saying in essence but i guess thats where Blair and Francis come into it.If they believe player X playing for Club W is better than a kid at a certain draft pick range then im all for it.

Problem is someone at our club identified Houli being better than Helbig. May be the case, but already we see the value Helbig will have.

I am a staunch believer in not trading away draft picks for players unless it is an unreal deal (eg. A Judd or Hodge type). Effectively giving away a draft pick even in the 40's for a role player will come back and bite you as it would of with us with Helbig for Houli.

On this point, Adelaide will be looking back in a couple of years and wondered what the hell they were thinking with getting Tambling ( a vanilla player) for two draft picks. Watch this space when we actually use the other draft pick.

SCOOP said:
The area that we need to improve at most is our use of the rookie list.

Tigerbob said:

Some good posting here.

I do think our ruck and KPD stocks are poor.
IF we can target the right seasoned player,. I am not adverse to handing over a high draft pick.

Tigerbob said:
Just between us, I think Crameri will be better than just a role player. Not bad off a rookie list. Didn't Knighta have a heap to do with him, Hardingham and Howlett? ;)
Which is why it might be worth getting Knighta down to the club as a development coach. If we go stand alone in the VFL next year or the year after, I would seriously look at getting Knights as our reserve coach. His reputation in developing the younger players during his time at the Bendigo Bombers was one of the major reasons why he got the senior gig at Essendon.

As for who I would like us to target which should come on the cheap is Addam Maric from Melbourne. He could be that classy half forward finisher which we are severly lacking.

Tigerbob said:
Problem is someone at our club identified Houli being better than Helbig. May be the case, but already we see the value Helbig will have.
Or was it a case of that it was always our intention to get Houli Via the PSD?