Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Pretty clear from this thread that most people have no idea what Blair Hartley actually does but in the great tradition of PRE, ignorance isn’t going to stop anyone from having strong opinions.

Anyway, here is a list of other names to consider when assessing Blair:
Houli
Grigg
Maric
Prestia
Caddy
Nankervis
Lynch
Taranto
Hopper
And furthermore the list is in terrible shape ! Tiges about to fall right off the cliff and you bring up Grigg , Houli and Maric
Seriously !!!

And furthermore the list is in terrible shape ! Tiges about to fall right off the cliff and you bring up Grigg , Houli and Maric
Seriously !!!
The same person you blame for the list being in a terrible state is also the same person that put together our 3x premiership winning list.

Reactions: 5 users
Only 3 ways to bring in elite talent.
The draft, trade and free agency.
Since around 2020, we’ve done neither 3 really well.
You could argue we were complacent and non aggressive, especially in packaging picks together to get lower in the draft.

Draft.
Gibcus looks good at pick 6.
Clarke, Banks, Sonsie ok at this stage considering their draft position but far from elite.
I like a couple of others like Coulthard and Campbell but too early to judge.
Maurice Rioli a polarising player. Perhaps he’s a midfielder after all?
Concerned our great white hope Ryan is a ruck only who has limited athleticism and can’t hold his marks or his feet.
Dow was a very welcome surprise yesterday.
Not really one young A grade star unearthed for quite a few years besides Gibcus.
*Darcy Wilmont was a target but got picked one before by Brisbane at 16 whilst JVR slipped through our fingers at 20.

Trade.
Taranto a win.
Jury out on Hopper whether he can ever be a very good player. I’d say yes but perhaps too high a price paid, especially his salary.

Free Agency.
Tarrant was only just serviceable but cost us nothing.

I’d give us 4/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Clarke's drafting is examined in the Clarke thread. There you will soon find mention of the draft erroneously missing from this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
The same person you blame for the list being in a terrible state is also the same person that put together our 3x premiership winning list.
Can’t live in the same past
and correct me if I am wrong
But Martin ( 2009 draft ) and Cotchin ( 2007 draft ) who were instrumental in winning 3 flags were at Punt Rd year or two before Blair arrived
We may not have won any flags without these 2 players

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think Reiwoldt just misdirected for 5 mins. Why would he say yes I'm retiring in 3 weeks to Robbo?
It's a Press Conference with Trent before Nth Melb, at Punt Rd.
As I said earlier this week, don't trust what comes out from club land in the media.

I love Jack but I hope this delusion of our list being in a similar spot to 2016 and talk of a quick rebound doesn't extend to Blair and Benny.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure you can argue we could have done better in some areas, but Criminal? Bit OTT.

We traded in Tom Lynch because Jack was on the wane, So objectively we did plan for post Jack, and I'd argue 2 flags later, pretty bloody well. He is now unequivocably second banana. We have drafted a few second bananas, they were late picks and just aren't as good as Jack, and Lynchy, the best no 1 banana in the comp got injured. More than anything, its mostly just a function of poor draft hands as a result of being a dominant side for 10 years.

On the Van Rooyen thing, yeah sure in hindsight we should nabbed him, not that that really means anything. But IMO he will be a good second banana. Its not like we missed the second coming of Richo. Every side can look at a player that could have filled a need that they could have drafted.

Every side has holes in their list, perfect planning and execution in all list aspects of management doesn't exist. Not every side has a dominant KF on their list. people go on as if replacing a player Like Jack, no 1, no 2, no 3, whatever, or any player for that matter, is just a matter of going to the corner shop and getting a new one.

I agree with a lot of what you say but the Van Rooyen one remains a quandary. They took Brown, who may well turn out to be a good player, but he's a not particularly tall defender so we picked a player who will compete for a position we are not deficient in, we have a fair number of not very tall defenders. We are deficient in key forwards who could possibly replace Jack, who has now retired and we knew he was close to retirement. All draft picks are a risk, we know many won't make it, but I don't get why we would choose a player in a position where we already have a few young players who could make the grade and pass on a player who plays a position we know we have a need for.

DS

I agree with a lot of what you say but the Van Rooyen one remains a quandary. They took Brown, who may well turn out to be a good player, but he's a not particularly tall defender so we picked a player who will compete for a position we are not deficient in, we have a fair number of not very tall defenders. We are deficient in key forwards who could possibly replace Jack, who has now retired and we knew he was close to retirement. All draft picks are a risk, we know many won't make it, but I don't get why we would choose a player in a position where we already have a few young players who could make the grade and pass on a player who plays a position we know we have a need for.

DS
A lot of things look quandryish in hindsight. we didn't rate him, we were wrong. You win some you lose some. Some winners are golden luck, some losers are clangers.

Some of us were lamenting the choice of Brown over JVR at the time of the draft. That's not hindsight. And guess what? We weren't responsible for the past 3 flags either.

Last edited:
I love Jack but I hope this delusion of our list being in a similar spot to 2016 and talk of a quick rebound doesn't extend to Blair and Benny.
After hearing that I was thinking that Jack shouldn't get into list management or recruiting.

A lot of things look quandryish in hindsight. we didn't rate him, we were wrong. You win some you lose some. Some winners are golden luck, some losers are clangers.

I suspect you are right that we didn't rate him, but I do wonder why, he looked fine and drafting is always a bit of a lottery.

DS

I'm a van Rooyen fan but I won't be losing any sleep over not having him. Rugged. Blue-collar. Busy. Invested. I don't want to think about that *smile* when I'm trying to sleep.

But he aint a tall.

For a guy who is clearly not a natural media performer, that was outstanding tonight.

No nonsense, articulate, generous with his time and explanations, in particular those relating to the want-away departures.

A huge responsibility to straighten out this list and yet appears to be fully invested. Under the most trying of circumstances this week, he well and truly got the job done.

Geez, sometimes there is a moment when you find out who a person really is and you're bloody glad they're part of your team.

Massive respect, Blair Hartley.

• Love
Reactions: 46 users
For a guy who is clearly not a natural media performer, that was outstanding tonight.

No nonsense, articulate, generous with his time and explanations, in particular those relating to the want-away departures.

A huge responsibility to straighten out this list and yet appears to be fully invested. Under the most trying of circumstances this week, he well and truly got the job done.

Geez, sometimes there is a moment when you find out who a person really is and you're bloody glad they're part of your team.

Massive respect, Blair Hartley.
Is that video on RFC?

I'll go so far as to say he is one of the most impressive people in football.

It mightn't be a big field, to be honest, but that's not to diminish just how dignified and formidable he is.

I have full faith he can rebuild our side.

Reactions: 10 users