Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Messages shouldn’t threaten or humiliate any other person or contain personal insults. There is a zero tolerance policy for flame wars, baiting, and malicious personal attacks on all forums. Such activity will result in posting rights being suspended/banned -- without warning.
Brief replies that add nothing to the discussion but to denigrate or bag a situation/event/player/official/poster, or hijack a discussion will be deleted and the poster banned for repeat offences.

----‐--------------------------------------------------------
Happy for folks to dig in and criticise the clubs recruiting, some questionable decisions are fair game.

But there's a fair bit of the above being broken lately. Please keep the commentary without the insults.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Which one of the players I mentioned is a HBF ?

We have drafted a number of small and midsize players but not many HBF. It’s a myth
Yeah agree, I was running with your post.
Gibcus, Juddy, Sonz, Greenie Cumbo and Samson cant fit on the back flank if Rioli Baker and Shorty are there (3 small forwards)

The complaint by posters is that with Ralphsmith, Brown Banks and Smith we're loading up.
I'm keen for those 4 to make it, Kaleb Smith looked very dynamic in the preseason games

Yeah agree, I was running with your post.
Gibcus, Juddy, Sonz, Greenie Cumbo and Samson cant fit on the back flank if Rioli Baker and Shorty are there (3 small forwards)

The complaint by posters is that with Ralphsmith, Brown Banks and Smith we're loading up.
I'm keen for those 4 to make it, Kaleb Smith looked very dynamic in the preseason games
I don't see Banks and Ralphsmith as HBFs

For me, someone's head has to roll for the Tom Browne over Van Rooyen decision, whether its Blairs, or Matt's, or whoever the *smile* it is, i don't care.

I cannot fathom, for the life of me, how they came to make that decsion, a half back flanker, over a Key Position Forward, when we have a gaping hole in our list for KPF

It's an absolute shocker of a decision, and someones has to pay for it, it's just that bad a decision.

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
I think Hawthorn have shown us the way forward. They tried to top up for a few years and all it did is delay the rebuild. Sam Mitchell has started turning it around by investing as heavily in the draft as possible. Newcombe, Moore, Reeves, Day, McDonald, Ward, Weddle, Maginess, Worpel and Mitch Lewis are all going to be good players for a long time.

It only works if you have a good recruiting staff though. No point going to the draft if you can't nail your picks.

It will probably take at least five years before we can compete for a flag again if everything goes right. No short cuts. Take the pain and rebuild properly. No more trading of future picks for players.

Reactions: 7 users
Yep. Drafting in recent years has been garbage. A number of selections have been mind boggling
Here a list of our drafting since 2018
Think I got all of them:

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Will Martyn
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon
Marlion Pickett

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell
Tylar Green

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I feel like the list Blair crafted was hit by a massive curve ball when the AFL attacked our model & changed the rules.
We're now playing catchup. It's going to take some time. Blair is a smart operator though. I'd give him that time.

Reactions: 12 users
Think I got all of them:

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Will Martyn
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon
Marlion Pickett

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell
Tylar Green

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Good lord

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Think I got all of them:

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Will Martyn
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon
Marlion Pickett

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell
Tylar Green

The pick numbers would add some context here. Hard to rebuild your list when you're winning premierships and copping the worst picks in the draft.

Reactions: 4 users
The pick numbers would add some context here. Hard to rebuild your list when you're winning premierships and copping the worst picks in the draft.
There’s hits and misses every year, I get that, and the draft is as much luck as anything, especially when you’re at the top for a period of time.

BUT Brown over Van Rooyen? When we have no developing KPF on the list!
Seriously WTF?!

Reactions: 6 users
There’s hits and misses every year, I get that, and the draft is as much luck as anything, especially when you’re at the top for a period of time.

BUT Brown over Van Rooyen? When we have no developing KPF on the list!
Seriously WTF?!

The club has had a mantra of best available for a while now. That might lead to misses here and there. *smile* happens.

I'm pretty tired of the continual harping on about this apparent miss. But firstly, we don't know the ceiling of either Brown on Van Rooyen. Secondly, were you on the 2021 draft thread demanding the club pick one or the other? Hindsight is 20/20. How do you think Melbourne felt picking 2 relative duds compared to Dustin Martin?

Swings and roundabouts.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't see Banks and Ralphsmith as HBFs
They've played there in afl games.
So I can see why they are labelled as such.
Still young kids, so they may end up in any role.
FWIW i'm not complaining about the drafting, though i can see why posters are saying we have too many hbfers

Think I got all of them:

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Thomson Dow
Noah Cumberland
Will Martyn
Hugo Ralphsmith
Bigoa Nyuon
Marlion Pickett

Samson Ryan
Maurice Rioli

Josh Gibcus
Tom Brown
Tyler Sonsie
Samuel Banks
Judson Clarke

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell
Tylar Green
18, 19 biting hard right now.

22, Tylar Young aside looks like junk picks that aren’t going great.

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Good lord
Yeah
But the overall 2018 draft is a shocker.
Only 2 players drafted after Ross have made 50 games (mcinerney* and ainsworth).
*mcinerney is a ripper
And the rookie only has Tom Atkins.

Melbourne picked it well but there wasnt much after 15

With Ross and Chol we would be a pass mark compared to all clubs

They've played there in afl games.
So I can see why they are labelled as such.
Still young kids, so they may end up in any role.
FWIW i'm not complaining about the drafting, though i can see why posters are saying we have too many hbfers
Apart from a couple of games Banks has played all his vfl football on a wing.

we saw what not to do…but went a head and did it.
Dallas Check This Out GIF

Too many recruitment fails from 18 onwards. All recruitment positions and talent id parameters must be looked at.

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Jack Ross
Fraser turner
Luke English
Jake Aarts
Jacob Townsend
Maibior Chol
Mav Weller
Sydney stack

Good lord
Stacks fall from grace hurt the RFC.

He was one that almost single handedly saved that draft and we had pencilled him in as a quality player at the level (which he showed he wass) .................. until he wasnt through stupidity.