Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Wow. Just saw Blair's presser.
Very well done.
Just held himself together up until the last few seconds.
As Number 8 said, Massive Respect.

We are lucky to have him.

Reactions: 16 users
He's made some people on here look like absolute chumps after comments they made this week and last about his work.

Don't judge a trade period until it ends, and give the bloke his due - the best in the business right now. Everything he did was calculated to a nicety, and how he and the tram adapted to changing circumstances was brilliant.

The lesson is give a little back on a deal, don't try to "win" every deal by screwing traded players or the other party - there is a bigger picture to consider.

The fact that he and team did all this while Chris Toce was passing just increases my respect.

• Love
Reactions: 31 users
Blair Hartley. What an absolute class act. For me, this 2024 season is highlighted by that press conference. Firstly the dignified way he explained how Baker, Rioli and Bolton had always wanted to go back home for many years and then honestly thanking them for their contribution to the club. Then also mentioning the excitement of the senior players for next season with the influx of high end recruits that will come. Finally there was the respectful sending his condolences to the family of his colleague and friend.

If I was a footballer, or a parent of footballer, this is the sort of club I would want to play for. Richmond writes it's own path to being a destination club by providing a truly caring environment for all concerned. They did it to win 3 flags, and continue to do it. All the young recruits should thrive with such an atmosphere and their parents should be thrilled to be selected by the Tigers.

This was a call to arms! I like others felt a bit flat this year not just with the injuries the tigers have had but 8 years straight of being umpired worse than any other club. I will now have a renewed vigor to support the tigers and boo the umpires if they continue their tyranny!

Well done Blair Hartley! Well done Richmond Football Club! Go Tigers!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 42 users
Blair was getting hung, drawn and quartered after the pick 20 trade with the Lions. Now being praised. Perhaps the early gripes were a bit premature?

Reactions: 7 users
i said Blair was over rated, I was wrong. Sometimes I write stupid things, my apologies

It's OK, Tigerish.

We have a very old poster here called @Redford

The helpers at his home also try to stop him typing and saying stupid things.

It doesn't always work.

Anyway, I've looped you into each other to help with your "stupid things" issue.

GL!!

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
It's OK, Tigerish.

It doesn't always work.

Anyway, I've looped you into each other to help with your "stupid things" issue.

GL!!

I've read this 3 times and it's cracked me up 3 times in the middle.of the Singapore Qantas lounge. Gold.post Leysy!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Blair was getting hung, drawn and quartered after the pick 20 trade with the Lions. Now being praised. Perhaps the early gripes were a bit premature?

Strangely some of the loudest critics of Blair are tearing into Kane Cornes for not apologising to Soldo for being wrong.

No self-awareness, or just hypocrites?

Jeepers that was a classy press conference

All these deals that have been done this trade period have been achieved due to Blair having strong relationships in the industry

He is class act and had his fingerprints all over our three flags, if he can create another dynasty, he may very well go down as the greatest administrator in our history

Right up there with Greame Richmond.

Lucky to have him

Reactions: 17 users
It's OK, Tigerish.

It doesn't always work.

GL!!
Be warned Tigerish. These are the same helpers out at Greenacres that are working with the Dunces of Doom and Nobets' horse tips every week.

Not a lot of success (between both parties.)

I'm about to fire them.

• Haha
It’s all been said above but Blair clearly makes Richmond a place you would want to come to.

You know you will be treated with dignity, respect and listened to.

Clearly plays the long game.

What a testing fortnight for his team to walk through. Did it with class.

(Our president should watch that presser a few times)

Reactions: 10 users
Jeepers that was a classy press conference

All these deals that have been done this trade period have been achieved due to Blair having strong relationships in the industry

He is class act and had his fingerprints all over our three flags, if he can create another dynasty, he may very well go down as the greatest administrator in our history

Right up there with Greame Richmond.

Lucky to have him
Strong relationships with the players too.

Noting that he'd had conversations about them going home to WA many years before, he knew how big a flight risk they were, and what to do to get our best return.
Eg could have signed Baker to a 3yr deal. That would have him come out of contract likely as an unrestricted FA. So he gave him 2, and we had some form of control.
Additionally, the intel on the strength of the draft also guiding him to hit this year hard - last year, enabling us to trade down and get extra picks.
He doesn’t coach the team. He can't give someone the best development or guarantee success. He can make sure they have a lot of weapons at their disposal to go to work with. He's done that.

NB real coaches want weapons, not toys.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
It so important that Blair and Tim stay at this club for the forseeable future - they are the ones who have been a huge part of the culture and performance transformation. We have lost so many other key figures - we cannot lose these guys.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
It's OK, Tigerish.

It doesn't always work.

GL!!
I am surprised they give him access to a computer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Blair Hartley. What an absolute class act. For me, this 2024 season is highlighted by that press conference. Firstly the dignified way he explained how Baker, Rioli and Bolton had always wanted to go back home for many years and then honestly thanking them for their contribution to the club. Then also mentioning the excitement of the senior players for next season with the influx of high end recruits that will come. Finally there was the respectful sending his condolences to the family of his colleague and friend.

If I was a footballer, or a parent of footballer, this is the sort of club I would want to play for. Richmond writes it's own path to being a destination club by providing a truly caring environment for all concerned. They did it to win 3 flags, and continue to do it. All the young recruits should thrive with such an atmosphere and their parents should be thrilled to be selected by the Tigers.

This was a call to arms! I like others felt a bit flat this year not just with the injuries the tigers have had but 8 years straight of being umpired worse than any other club. I will now have a renewed vigor to support the tigers and boo the umpires if they continue their tyranny!

Well done Blair Hartley! Well done Richmond Football Club! Go Tigers!
Great post. Except the part about Rioli. He didn't leave to go home. He broke his contract and left for more money and because he didn't want to play in a *smile* team.

No, the criticism was valid.
Reasonable not great return for Bolton. Great return for Baker. Good return for Rioli.
He did what was expected. He did reasonably well. As well as could be expected.
Certainly not A+ in my eyes, but each to their own.
But as I said earlier. He was under a fair amount of emotional strain as well.